Check out the NEW Facebook group HERE

Check out the Twitter page HERE

Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 ... 10
IDI Engine / Re: 1.9l TD AAZ Timing belt tensioner pulley broke off
« Last post by libbydiesel on Today at 02:03:28 am »
I think that either style of tensioner is fine.  I haven't heard of anyone else having the tensioner stud break.  Kind of a fluke.  I wouldn't worry about either stud.  I believe you need to correct slotted hole in the timing belt backing plate in order to run the later style.  I can't tell from your pics which version you have.  Your pistons do not look badly hit.  Look to make sure they all protrude above the head gasket surface when they are at TDC.  You can also sight up the rods if the pan is off to make sure none are bent.  Most likely all is fine with them, though. 
Parts for Sale/Wanted / WTB: VW/Audi 5 cylinder Diesel Parts
« Last post by CommieGIR on August 18, 2018, 09:32:22 pm »
Anything for either the 2.4D/TD or 2.0D/TD. Let me know what you have
IDI Engine / Re: 1.9l TD AAZ Timing belt tensioner pulley broke off
« Last post by mortisetortoise on August 18, 2018, 09:01:02 pm »
Update:

I am now in the process of reassembling as parts come in. I received both types of belt tensioning pulleys and their correct studs. Does anyone know if the later one is any better? The smaller stud worries me as the stud is the thing that caused me this problem in the first place. (I do not know which was on there orginally)

Also, I have not removed any pistons. Does anyone think it is worth pulling them out to further inspect? I have removed the oil pan to look from below and cannot see any visible damage.
IDI Engine / Re: Pimped Glow Plugs
« Last post by libbydiesel on August 18, 2018, 03:51:22 pm »
The direct power supply to each GP has been truncated from going from battery to OEM relay to GP, BUT isn't 50ish amps still going to OEM relay and back out to solenoid power switch supply?

That being said, The other question I have is more electrical in nature. When current flows, is it pushed or pulled? i.e. is the battery pushing the current or is the GP pulling the current from the power source? If it is a pull, then does the solenoid only pull enough amps to close the circuit thereby answering my first question?

Thanks
-m

With the rerouting, '50ish amps' do not still run through the stock glow plug wiring.  Only enough amps to latch the stock glow plug relay and enough amps to latch the secondary solenoid pass through the stock wiring.  The amperage necessary to latch the stock relay is minuscule.  The amps to latch the secondary solenoid is more significant but nowhere near 50 amps.  The 50 amps only pass from battery, through high current connections on the secondary solenoid, and to aux fuse box where it is split to the individual 12 amp circuits.

Does electricity push or pull?  Both.  It is a circuit.  The little negatively charged electrons flow FROM the negative terminal TO the positive terminal and all along the circuit they are simultaneously attracted to the positive terminal and repulsed by the negative terminal. 
IDI Engine / Re: Pimped Glow Plugs
« Last post by mstephenson on August 18, 2018, 03:19:17 pm »
I have been reading and reading, but I still have a question about the pimping via Vince's design:

Power comes from Battery => in cab thru fire wall => relay terminal 30 (always on)
Switch closes
Power leaves the relay via terminal 87 => out thru fire wall => thru 50amp VW fuse => added solenoid => added fuses => each GP.

Please help me understand this...

The direct power supply to each GP has been truncated from going from battery to OEM relay to GP, BUT isn't 50ish amps still going to OEM relay and back out to solenoid power switch supply?

That being said, The other question I have is more electrical in nature. When current flows, is it pushed or pulled? i.e. is the battery pushing the current or is the GP pulling the current from the power source? If it is a pull, then does the solenoid only pull enough amps to close the circuit thereby answering my first question?

Thanks
-m
IDI Engine / Re: Boost Hose
« Last post by ORCoaster on August 17, 2018, 10:00:07 pm »
Spendy, yes but it is THE ONE to get.  You might have luck finding someone parting out an engine that would sell you the hose but the condition might be less than what you need.  I decided if I was going to depend on the increased airflow into the metal parts I would cough up the coin for the new hoses.  Nice Silicone from them too. 
MK2 Golf/Jetta and Audi 5k / Re: Cracking AWY Transmission Filler Hole??
« Last post by ORCoaster on August 17, 2018, 09:57:21 pm »
Yeah, transmission ratios are hard to get to work all the time.  I live in hill country so would be downshifting between third and forth plenty in the FF trans I have.  But that ubber tall 5th when I hit I 5 up the valley and cruising 65-70 sure is nice.  MPG finally. 

Although the hills don't eat too badly into the MPG as the speed is generally 35-40 at best.  No real reason to even try thinking about 5th at those speeds.  Would just starve the lower part of the engine for oil.  Did that with the 300 CID engine in my Ford years back.  Running the overdrive at low RPM equals less oil pressure and more fuel.  Didn't downshift enough in that rig.  Engine Rebuild at 100K.
IDI Engine / Re: Boost sensor reccomendation
« Last post by Rock3tman on August 17, 2018, 06:37:59 pm »
I have the 2" version of this gauge, Westach P/N 2DC2-30SS, steering column mounted in their gauge pod.   

My turbo is a stock Garrett VNT-15 from a MkIV Jetta 1.9L TDI, with mechanical vane control - - so I'm using a Westach 1/8"  EGT thermocouple that has a 4" probe inserted on the EGR cooler flange on the exhaust manifold into the turbo exit gas flow path and is wired up with a Westach wiring harness.

The boost pressure is transmitted via the included  ~1/8" rubber tubing from Westach; the boost source is connected to the 90 degree aluminum elbow at the top of the stock VW 1.6L turbo intake manifold.    Works great to have boost and EGT data in one gauge.
MK2 Golf/Jetta and Audi 5k / Re: Cracking AWY Transmission Filler Hole??
« Last post by Dakotakid on August 17, 2018, 12:02:45 pm »
From the Scirocco.orgie site I see it does.
However, it has those same hinky gear ratios (same as the AUG gas) and ONLY a 0.89 fifth gear. which, AGAIN could be handy in hilly country.

I run an AUG (3.67 final) with sub'ed 5th gear (0.75) behind my spirited 1.6 turbo and I CURSE the day I decided to do that. They end up being annoying ratios in reality......close-ratio annoyance.  Should have just installed an ACN if I wanted 3.67 final. Live an learn.
IDI Engine / Re: Boost Hose
« Last post by Frodo the Zuk on August 17, 2018, 08:17:56 am »
That's the one, and that's pretty much the only source I found. I'm curious as to what others may be doing or about any other options.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 ... 10
S-PAutomotive.com