Canada Catalys

Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 ... 10
IDI Engine / Re: Play in the Intermediate Shaft
« Last post by ORCoaster on February 20, 2018, 10:06:24 pm »
Initial reaction to the pictures.

Copper spray on head means past head work was done. 

Amount of soot on valves now looks like none hitting at this time.

No carbon ridge so head rebuilt a little while ago or lack of driving afterwards.

Valves in Cyls 2 and 3 look shifted so maybe bent when you pull them out.  Will be interested to see if they are.

So the valves made it known to the pistons that they wanted to get close.  But not all of them are like that so I wouldn't be thinking the problem was timing belt as much as a poor job of shims after the rebuild.  I say that only because that is what happened to mine when I had a shop do the work.  They were ahem, how do we say that, Not real familiar with the tolerances of the VW engine? 

He was sloppy and likely distracted and my guess was he couldn't do math.  Not a good thing for a machinist.  Some of the gaps were way off on the tight side and others too much gap.  Perhaps he didn't know the Exhaust from the input port?  I have no clear idea all I know is that when I put the head on I could rotate the  crank without hitting the valves.  When I started it up they did make noise.

So I shut it down pronto and pulled the head.  I found two valves that had made similar marks as those in the photo.  So it didn't take but 30 seconds for that to happen.  Scary eh?

Cracks look ok between cylinders but a good cleaning will really revel what is going on there. 

Since this is not a Daily Driver (DD) then you have time to put some time into cleaning and measuring the head for warping. Get a good straight machinist edge and lay it over the block and slide those feeler gauges under the edge.  .004 MM is tolerance if I remember right.

Good luck on the rebuild.  Or is it just the intermediate shaft that needed fixing?
IDI Engine / Re: M12 or T-55 for head bolts?
« Last post by fatmobile on February 20, 2018, 09:49:48 pm »
What year is your car?
 Does it have allen heads?

« Last post by libbydiesel on February 20, 2018, 05:59:21 pm »
That's a lot of 'kissing'.  The exhaust valves hammered quite a bit.  It's not very common that you see the intake valve impressions also.  I'm impressed...  :-P  Someone was really, really sloppy with the timing belt.  Pistons are still usable unless you find any cracks.  Bores are probably worn out so it's probably not relevant.  Cracks between the valves look alright.
 The  valves should all be replaced.  Buff the pre-combustion chamber inserts to a shine.  You can't tell if they are cracked until you do.  If they are cracked, they should be replaced, IMO.
« Last post by absenth on February 20, 2018, 04:05:52 pm »
I finally got the engine pulled earlier this month. "..in the next few weeks." HA!

I haven't removed the IM shaft yet.

Opinions on the kissing of the pistons and valves? Cracks between valves? And anything else that you think would be helpful would be much appreciated. Pics in link below.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1cpFjK6wrbVXsApkY2VpoFfl44kGn3-GR
TDI - VE Pump TDI Engines / Re: 200/300tdi laro pumps different ore not?
« Last post by marcel.w on February 20, 2018, 09:12:12 am »
no body knows?
Parts for Sale/Wanted / Re: AAZ injector lines
« Last post by dontdoemyourself on February 19, 2018, 06:11:42 pm »
Iíve got a set of these and a bunch of injectors if youíre interested

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TDI - VE Pump TDI Engines / 200/300tdi laro pumps different ore not?
« Last post by marcel.w on February 18, 2018, 02:22:44 pm »
Hello,

quick question,are the VE pumps on the 200 and 300 tdi engine of the landrover the same or is there a difference in them?
i'm asking this because i can get al laro pump for my AFN M-tdi project but the seller is not sure if its from a 2 or 300tdi.
Could i find out by pump numbers witch one it is?
greetz marcel
TDI - VE Pump TDI Engines / Port Closure
« Last post by Ryanh1222 on February 18, 2018, 12:40:33 am »
I am working on a 6bt cummins engine with the VE pump, I tore the pump apart, replaced the head and rotor. I am trying to get the correct shim for behind rotor. So far I have the pump together and I am getting port closure at 1.75mm on the cummins its supposed to be 1.35. by that math I need a .4mm shim and that just doesn't seem to be correct. Any suggestions?
MK2 Golf/Jetta and Audi 5k / Re: Effect on Oil Pressure Due to Head Issues
« Last post by diesel dub on February 17, 2018, 10:16:39 pm »
I ask because i don't know either. Mine acts similar. Rebuilt engine. All new bearings and oil pump.
IDI Engine / Re: Do I need AAZ injector lines.....?
« Last post by libbydiesel on February 17, 2018, 09:50:02 pm »
Single stage AAZ injectors are dimensionally the same as 1.6 injectors.  With long delivery valves on any pump, the AAZ lines that fit the short injectors will fit without modification.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 ... 10
Fixmyvw.com