NOLA Speed and Style

Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 ... 10
IDI Engine / Re: 1990 jetta 1.6 manual clutch went poof
« Last post by Thatguy on Today at 08:29:28 am »
Iím a noob myself and would like to have this info myself. I have done big truck clutches and from what I know and what I can tell about the vws you are going to have to raise the car and drop the engine and trans then separate on the ground or bring the engine out the top.
Also a good idea to get a upgraded clutch like a southbend or something like that while you have it apart

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Parts for Sale/Wanted / Re: WTB power steering bracket & pulleys
« Last post by MarkMac on Today at 12:59:36 am »
I am not married to a compressor. If you have a v belt solution, that would be great. Let me know, thanks.
IDI Engine / 1990 jetta 1.6 manual clutch went poof
« Last post by dieselslowboi on December 16, 2018, 10:04:30 pm »
super long story short ::) im pretty much a noob at diy on my car and its about time i start because i do not have the cash to go to a pro to replace my exploded clutch. i have a 1990 jetta 5 spd 1.6 na ,obviously diesel, and im hoping for some tips and tricks/ locations of guide books(or videos) or if you straight up know how and have the time to help a fool like me then any help is appreciated. ive been looking on the site and have not found any boards with this specific topic, but if there is one, please forgive my ignorance. my father and i are going to work on it and he has experience with larger engines but not small vws and has no idea what is needed for it. ??? also if you want back story, i was on the highway when big bang and flop flop flop from under me/ in the engine area and so i pushed in clutch went neutral and went to the side. engine still running. tried to see if it was clutch issue by attempting to put in gear, just bangs and metal flopping like an off balance old washing machine. was quoted by a pro ford 1200, i really do not have that, kinda need my car for school and work, thus asking for help.
IDI Engine / New guy new IDI
« Last post by Thatguy on December 16, 2018, 06:25:58 pm »
Getting a 90 Jetta on Saturday. Been sitting a while and the guy says it needs a injection pump seal kit. How hard it that to do for a diy guy handy with a wrench

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last post by masterbeavis on December 16, 2018, 11:57:33 am »
Would that be the same as the ones on the MK2s?
I believe there was a small pully stuck to the waterpump pully, the belt went from crank to power steering then waterpump.
Do you have the crank pully setup for 2 v-belts?

The setup I have was bone stock MK2. IRC the crank drove the water pump, AC and alternator, the water pump drove the power steering.  Itís been a minute since Iíve pulled it all off, Iíll need to think about it again later and get pics of another car with the identical setup.
« Last post by fatmobile on December 16, 2018, 12:09:36 am »
Would that be the same as the ones on the MK2s?
I believe there was a small pully stuck to the waterpump pully, the belt went from crank to power steering then waterpump.
Do you have the crank pully setup for 2 v-belts?
IDI Engine / Re: How much does winterr impact on fuel economy
« Last post by ORCoaster on December 15, 2018, 11:10:17 pm »
Here on the West coast we are running about half that cost per gallon.  This is the time when diesel seems to compete against heating oil.  I never knew why either.  Maybe the refiners have a choice and choose to make more for houses and let us diesel drinkers pay a bit more. 

Some folks, just run the heating oil instead but they do take a chance of getting dipped by the state police and it could be costly having the wrong color come up on them. 

I doubt they would think to check a 1981 VW Rabbit,  But I don't take that chance.  Not when getting nearly 40 mpg.  The gas truck gets 16 - 20. 
IDI Engine / Re: prechamber replacement
« Last post by smutts on December 15, 2018, 04:51:25 pm »
Is there any sort of noise typical of a precup burrowing it's way to freedom?

A long passed 1.6 GTD of mine, developed almost overnight a horrendous "clackclackclack,etc" from one cylinder, which wasn't due to fuel, or valves, didn't vary with load, not heavy enough for a big end.  I always assumed it was a failing piston, or little end, but compressions with turning the engine by hand were reasonably even. Well no big hole in the piston at least.

It carried on like that, not getting worse, for some 10,000 odd miles before it ate it's oil and the Missus drove it, ignoring  the idiot proof flashing red light and alarm.
She asks me, "Is it supposed to do that?"
I ask "How long has it been doing that?
She says "Oh, about 30 miles"
Sigh. ::)

The car has been manhole cover lids for about eight years now, but I still wonder what that noise was?
« Last post by masterbeavis on December 15, 2018, 04:47:18 pm »
Swapping a AAZ into an old Willy's. The engine I have has A/C. I understand there is a PS and Alternator setup that uses a V belt. Would be interested in the parts required to convert.

There are two generations Iím aware of that have what you need. Do you have a compressor youíre married to? 

I have an AC setup that was removed from from a 91 Jetta 1.6 turbo diesel with factory AC that utilized Vee belts, and a Sanden 5 piston compressor. I think I have a York setup from a Quantum too, but I canít guarantee I have all of the parts.

Parts for Sale/Wanted / WTB power steering bracket & pulleys
« Last post by MarkMac on December 15, 2018, 04:39:08 pm »
Swapping a AAZ into an old Willy's. The engine I have has A/C. I understand there is a PS and Alternator setup that uses a V belt. Would be interested in the parts required to convert.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 ... 10
S-PAutomotive.com