S-PAutomotive.com

Recent Posts

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 ... 10
IDI Engine / Re: 1.6IDI Not Fully Rotating/Not Starting
« Last post by fatmobile on March 21, 2024, 08:45:43 pm »
 Right, those cracks are normal.
 Surprised you only found them on 1 and 4.
Get a machinist that knows VWs.
 Don't let him surface it. Find out what "fix it" means.
IDI Engine / Re: Awakened from a long slumber....
« Last post by ORCoaster on March 21, 2024, 07:44:58 pm »
Leaf springs on the front?  I am sure you meant wobbly wheels on the back.  Otherwise, you are driving something that VW didn't make or driving in reverse.

« Last post by RabbitJockey on March 21, 2024, 12:06:13 pm »
those cracks are usually normal.

I'd consider the condition of the engine as a factor on whether or not i'd do rings. they're cheap to do while you're in there though.
« Last post by westcoaster on March 20, 2024, 11:38:04 pm »
Yup, Death Wobble...

Imagine the front wheel on a shopping cart wobbling back and forth but instead on the front wheels of a vehicle.
Funny enough, in my search for the cure, I found new Ford Superduty trucks also seem to have this affliction....

I think I was able to "patch up" the death wobble by removing the front leaf spring bushings and rotating them 180* in the springs and frame.

The rubber had sagged where the bolt wasn't in the centre of the bushing any longer.
Tightened up the spring shackles and took it for a run. Seems to be "better" for the moment.
« Last post by Mohatanous on March 20, 2024, 09:35:08 pm »
Update:

I haven't had a lot of time to work on my car lately, but my head guy found that there were two cracks in the head between the valves on cylinder's 1 and 4. I'm going to have the head fixed and then pressure tested to ensure that it will be usable, so by the time I get it back it will basically be a brand new head.

Should I do piston rings since I'm getting the head redone to this degree? If so, anywhere specific to get good rings? Thanks in advance!
« Last post by ORCoaster on March 19, 2024, 09:45:42 pm »
I second that MMO addition and if it is behaving itself for now drive it a bit and get it warm enough to dry out the exhaust system.  When they get wet and are all dingy inside, they can have a black wet look out the tailpipe. 

Death Wobble??   Maybe this isn't the time to dry out the exhaust with a good long ride.
« Last post by westcoaster on March 18, 2024, 09:48:53 pm »
It was pretty wet at the tip of the tail pipe, almost dripping.
I suppose it could have been condensation. There was no particular odour to the liquid. It could have been purging the residual 6 year old diesel out of the system and somehow excessive moisture was produced.

It is running clean(er) now.
Sat and cooled over night and the next day things had cleaned up considerably.
I had also run it to the governor limit a couple times for a few seconds the evening it was having its issues.

Some MMO might not be a bad idea...

With the motor doing better I have shifted my focus to the death wobble this thing has now developed.

« Last post by RabbitJockey on March 18, 2024, 01:45:46 pm »
i agree with fatmobile, my first guess would be bad turbo seals on the exhaust side.

marvel mystery is a great additive, i'd recommend even putting some of it in your fuel.

how wet is the exhaust and are you sure its oil? cause water is a natural byproduct of combustion, and diesel smell bad either way
« Last post by fatmobile on March 17, 2024, 11:22:49 am »
I think a diesel will burn oil like you were feeding it diesel.
Some people put used oil in their diesel tank and it doesn't end up with oil in the exhaust.

If it's entering the exhaust as wet oil, I would think it's a turbo seal leaking oil into the exhaust.
« Last post by westcoaster on March 16, 2024, 10:59:21 pm »
Not an inlet turbo seal....

Removed the rubber 90* intake elbow from the turbo, started the engine, gave it a couple minor revs with a paper shop towel in front of the turbo outlet (intake air) and not a drop of oil was found on the towel....

Edit: the burning oil smell on startup leaves rings or valve guide seals.

I'm leaning toward valve guide seals as there is a strong odour of burnt oil immediately on startup that dissipates after running for a bit...
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 ... 10
Fixmyvw.com