NOLA Speed and Style

Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 ... 10
IDI Engine / Weber intake manifold on a diesel???
« Last post by Tmarkle on Today at 12:12:01 am »
Cruising through EBay I found the Weber carburetor intake manifold for the 8v gas engines. It looks like it has nice distribution between the cylinders, I was curious how it would work in a boosted situation on a 1.6 diesel. Has anyone ever used one on a turbo diesel or even an NA diesel?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
IDI Engine / Re: No compression after head gasket job?
« Last post by Pearl1990 on February 21, 2018, 11:41:29 pm »
IF you assembled the head to block correctly-following-torque procedure (sequence of bolts, placement of gasket, etc.), letting the engine sit should not matter....proved you did not do it well and anti-freeze has run into a cylinder or two. We've seen it all here!

More than likely, you do not have the fuel pump totally primed (pressure in the lines has to be built up to actually FIRE the injector...not just pess a little out).

OR, you could have the inj. pump 180 degrees out.

Or, your pump is not put together properly. We weren't there.

Lo and behold, there was coolant in the 2 middle cylinders. What would have caused this? I feel like I did a pretty good job of torquing to spec. The block surface seemed clean enough, and the head surface had just been machined. Only thing I can think of is the threads in the block for the head studs weren't clean enough so they binded a bit and the torque was off? I didn't have a chaser or tap at the time. I just cleaned it out the best I could with compressed air and penetrating oil.

So I know I have to replace all of the head bolts now, but what about the head gasket? Can that be reused or should it be replaced?
IDI Engine / Re: Gauges...which ones?
« Last post by bpcaddy on February 21, 2018, 11:10:20 pm »
I'm just worried it may get stolen.
« Last post by ORCoaster on February 21, 2018, 10:58:49 pm »
pods on top the dash.  See it all the time.  No need to cover.
Parts for Sale/Wanted / Re: 1.6td oil squirters
« Last post by rabbid79 on February 21, 2018, 10:41:10 pm »
Wow, that's a damn good deal!
IDI Engine / TDI fuel fittings on a IDI pump
« Last post by ToddA1 on February 21, 2018, 09:16:44 pm »
Anyone do this?  The inlet is a no brainer, but I’m curious if the restrictor orfice in the outlet is the same, although they’re different fittings.

-Todd

« Last post by bpcaddy on February 21, 2018, 08:05:45 pm »
Thanks. The aviation CHT gauge seems to be working good though the head temperature is on the low end of the scale.

I'm getting a 10 mm adaptor for my oil pressure gauge to put in the head in place of the dummy light. :)

Also I'm lining up the gauges on the dash above the speedo cluster and will rig some carpet/Towl thing to cover and easily hide them when I leave the truck.
IDI Engine / Re: Play in the Intermediate Shaft
« Last post by Dakotakid on February 21, 2018, 06:33:08 pm »
Yes, the JK block should well be a 12 mm bolt-er.
I am a big fan of JK blocks....I turbocharge them and they run great. I run them pretty hard...actually.

Does anybody know what the one shaft with the wide gear is from? Did the 1.5's have wide-face gears?
The intermediate bearings need to be retired and allowed to go to heaven.
IDI Engine / Re: No compression after head gasket job?
« Last post by Dakotakid on February 21, 2018, 06:26:35 pm »
IF you assembled the head to block correctly-following-torque procedure (sequence of bolts, placement of gasket, etc.), letting the engine sit should not matter....proved you did not do it well and anti-freeze has run into a cylinder or two. We've seen it all here!

More than likely, you do not have the fuel pump totally primed (pressure in the lines has to be built up to actually FIRE the injector...not just pess a little out).

OR, you could have the inj. pump 180 degrees out.

Or, your pump is not put together properly. We weren't there.
IDI Engine / No compression after head gasket job?
« Last post by Pearl1990 on February 21, 2018, 04:21:58 pm »
I did a head gasket job and only torqued it down to the point where the torque instructions says to let the car warm up and then torque it again. It's been a couple months since I did that and in the mean time I rebuilt the IP and did a few other things. Now I'm trying to get it running so I can warm it up and then torque the head again, but can't seem to get it going. It fired up for a bit but now it won't start. The engine ran fine before, but I'm going to test the compression today.

Was it a bad idea to let the head sit only partially torqued for that long? I'm getting fuel to the injectors and there doesn't seem to be any air in the lines. I'm stumped on why it started up the other night and now won't start at all.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 ... 10
NOLA Speed and Style