Canada Catalys

Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 ... 10
IDI Engine / Re: Rebuilding: 1.6TD JX Turbo Diesel engine
« Last post by libbydiesel on October 16, 2017, 11:46:35 pm »
air-cooled and diesel, I think you are not understanding his goal.  His current engine runs fine.  He would like to rebuild a spare engine to install at a later date.  I don't get the feeling he wants to cobble together an engine that might work 'good enough' for a little while.  While the gist of what you are saying might make sense as a way to eek out a few more miles from an engine if you're on a shoestring budget, none of what you are recommending fits into an actual engine REBUILD.

My machinist charges $25 to dip the case and another $25 to magnaflux it.  That's money well spent, IMO.  Cracked cases are not common, but I magnafluxing has turned up two for me.  Never good news, but much better than the cost in labor and materials building up an engine that will have issues.   
« Last post by Tmarkle on October 16, 2017, 11:44:00 pm »
Glad to see this thread come along, as I am going to be rebuilding a motor soon as well (once hunting season is over that is LOL).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last post by Dakotakid on October 16, 2017, 11:42:28 pm »
I never realized Claude Monet did cylinder walls! Cooooool.

Check to see if you are currently sporting first (original bore) pistons. It is going to take at least 0.50 mm to de-Monet it.
IDI Engine / Re: Is there a way to get rid of the vacuum pump?
« Last post by ORCoaster on October 16, 2017, 11:42:10 pm »
the inside of that gear has a groove that has been pounded out on the old pump.  I need to replace it.  Just replace the pump it is more available.  In fact I have three in my spare parts stuff so I could get you one cheap.

I haven't disassembled the pump to see if that gear can be replaced separately, or do you have to replace the whole pump with a new one?  I haven't found a gear separate from the pump on the net.  The Gear does come off by driving a pin out of it I think.  But really just put another pump on it and let it pull a vacuum in one side and blow air out the other.  you might be able to hook it up to a vent and get rid of vapor build up.

If I have to get a new pump to get an undamaged gear drive then how to best make the pump inoperable, or do I need to?  Repurpose the pump action, Bilge pump?   

Send a PM and I will let you know about the spares I have. 
« Last post by 1.6Lmarine on October 16, 2017, 11:30:49 pm »
...thanks

i'll look for that link tomorrow unless someone posts a link in the mean time

great help
« Last post by Tmarkle on October 16, 2017, 11:29:19 pm »
You could probably just put a vacuum plug over the main port.
no, remember vacuum pump has a gear, this is run from IM shaft, this has slot, this runs oil pump. <this gear with a slot must be part of a cover. there may be a subject with this reference. its been a while,.
I didnít investigate at all. But since it has to be driving the oil pump, there must be a gear attached to the cover being driven by the IM shaft which would turn the oil pump. Iím not getting a low oil pressure light or any knocking so itís obviously pumping oil LOL.

« Last post by air-cooled or diesel on October 16, 2017, 11:24:49 pm »
You could probably just put a vacuum plug over the main port.
no, remember vacuum pump has a gear, this is run from IM shaft, this has slot, this runs oil pump. <this gear with a slot must be part of a cover. there may be a subject with this reference. its been a while,.
« Last post by 1.6Lmarine on October 16, 2017, 11:18:18 pm »
...thanks

...isn't the gear involved with the intermediate shaft?
« Last post by Tmarkle on October 16, 2017, 11:07:40 pm »
Funny this comes up. I just bought a rabbit, and while looking at it I noticed there was no vacuum pump. There was only a plug where it used to be. Obviously the brakes are worthless. You could probably just put a vacuum plug over the main port.

IDI Engine / Is there a way to get rid of the vacuum pump?
« Last post by 1.6Lmarine on October 16, 2017, 11:03:54 pm »
I have a 1.6L diesel off of a 89 Jetta that is nearly rebuilt.  Since it's going in a boat I don't need the vacuum pump.

In the factory manual it doesn't even show the vacuum pump but a plug where the vacuum pump inserts.  Obviously you need the gear on the pump to drive the oil pump.

The inside of that gear has a groove that has been pounded out on the old pump.  I need to replace it.

I haven't disassembled the pump to see if that gear can be replaced separately, or do you have to replace the whole pump with a new one?  I haven't found a gear separate from the pump on the net.

If I have to get a new pump to get an undamaged gear drive then how to best make the pump inoperable, or do I need to?
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 ... 10
Canada Catalys