Fixmyvw.com

Recent Posts

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 [10]
MK1 Golf/Jetta and B1 Dasher / Re: Need Help Identifying Engine Type
« Last post by RabbitJockey on February 08, 2024, 01:25:14 pm »
im with you on that story.

i dont think thats a hole above the breather, i think thats just how the later aaz/1y/tdi 058 tall blocks are shaped. thats definitely a 1.9 block based off of that, on a 1.6 the engine code spot is almost right up against the deck of the block
IDI Engine / Re: Sharing my 1.6td project
« Last post by RabbitJockey on February 08, 2024, 01:21:04 pm »
i do pretty much the same thing as fatmobile except i let it on the ground, and just push the car back or pull it forward to set the crank position.

on the tach, if you can find a the same cluster you have but with a tachometer for a gas engine then you can run a dakota digital converter.
« Last post by as4k on February 08, 2024, 09:01:48 am »
7zap has been pretty good in terms of part numbers. 

https://audi.7zap.com/en/usa/audi+4000/a40/1982-3/1/105-4000/

There is a specific bolt and washer for the CY engine listed and I have no clue if thats whats in the car now.  I doubt it.  There are a few specific pulley pieces based upon the engine code and if it has power steering (mine does).  Oddly enough there is a different water pump pulley listed (on a different diagram), which I believe I do have.

This thing is wild.  I'm thankful to have a vw diesel guy here that helps with that sort of stuff, but since this is such an odd car its been fun.
« Last post by RustyCaddy on February 07, 2024, 10:44:23 pm »
RabbitJockey, you are right about the turbo of course and i always learn something new in your posts. After i originally posted that i am certain i went back and edited it with something about "if they came with turbos" and never checked back. At least that is my story and i am sticking to it. D'oh!
« Last post by fatmobile on February 07, 2024, 07:31:03 pm »
  "someone capped the crankcase vent beside the vac pump"
 Good eye.

Second from last picture in the first set.
 What is that hole in the block just above that cap?
 That doesn't look 1.6D.
MK1 Golf/Jetta and B1 Dasher / Re: Mk1 diesel AC bracket?
« Last post by fatmobile on February 07, 2024, 07:22:12 pm »
 I could use a refresher class on the MK1 and 2 AC alternator setups.

The long curved bracket might be for the AC alternator.
 It mounts on top and that bracket goes to the head.
I think that's how the belt was tensioned.

The factory MK1 AC bracket had that small alternator mounting hole, that is threaded like you mentioned.
 And it has that lip right below the alternator pivot bolt that keeps the alternator from being rotated downward.
 The MK2 alternator can be rotated down in a MK2 bracket, with a little grinding, for an AC delete.
All my rabbits have the MK2 90 amp alternator/bracket upgrade.
« Last post by fatmobile on February 07, 2024, 07:00:57 pm »
  I usually turn the crank, to set the timing,
by putting it in 5th and rolling it.
 Grab the driver's side wheel and turn it.
That way I can look in the timing hole and line up the marks.

I usually rotate the engine by putting a socket on it to get close first.
But I can't see the timing marks from that end.

Gotta turn the crank a couple times after a new belt to see how it tracks and make sure nothing is hitting.

So yeah, that would kinda piss me off if I couldn't put a socket on that bolt.
« Last post by oblique on February 07, 2024, 02:03:19 pm »
From what I can tell its an AAZ/1y head with a 1.6 block but its hard to tell, if its AAZ someone capped the crankcase vent beside the vac pump. That could be an incomplete 'J' on the end of the part number on the head. The block stamp should be just below the head in front of cyl #3.

Were ECO injectors 155bar? I guess would check that pump and injectors match.

I believe the only downside of running the 1.9 head on 1.6 block are the larger prechamber volumes which would lower compression somewhat.

FYI I think 1Y motors also had smaller wrist pins than their AAZ counterparts.
MK1 Golf/Jetta and B1 Dasher / Re: Mk1 diesel AC bracket?
« Last post by oblique on February 07, 2024, 01:44:39 pm »
Hmmm the one youve got there looks like a non-PS AC bracket typical of mk2's. The one Ive got I think is mk1 because its got a threaded hole on top which the old style metal timing cover mounts to. I think maybe mk1 AC systems were different because I also pulled a really long, curved compressor bracket out of there at the same time along with various misc bits.
« Last post by RabbitJockey on February 07, 2024, 01:31:51 pm »
i thought 1y never came with a turbo? i dont think that spot in the block is drilled and tapped.

the only difference i know is the 1y has longer rods, and different pistons with a higher wrist pin. other wise they are the same with the same bore and stroke.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 [10]
Fixmyvw.com