Author Topic: trying to find a header for a 1.6 diesel  (Read 6805 times)

February 08, 2005, 06:28:13 pm

farfugzukn

trying to find a header for a 1.6 diesel
« on: February 08, 2005, 06:28:13 pm »
I  am new to the diesel world and the vw world for that matter....but i recently aquired a 1.6 diesel mtr and am going throught the mtr replacing what needs to be. I was wondering if there was anyone that makes a header for the above metioned mtr. I was told that i need a carb intake from a rabbit or sirocco 2 brl style from 1975-1982 hard to find. I also need an exhaust manifold from a fox from 1985-1996 4 cycl gas. also hard to find and when i do they have all been cracked and they still want 50+ bucks for it so im looking for a header if anyone makes one I was told about a company in the state of Washington called Techtonics that makes one but i cant seem to find any info on them any helpon this subject is helpful thank you in advance.................

p.s. Im stabbing this mtr into a suzuki sami..and i am in boulder creek california

Reply #1February 08, 2005, 07:31:53 pm

lord_verminaard

• Veteran

« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2005, 07:31:53 pm »
Sorry, nobody makes a header to fit a diesel into a suzuki, at least not yet.  Techtonics makes headers for VW's, but they would not fit in a suzuki swap application.  The Fox engine was mounted "north-south" in the engine bay and therefore the manifold would probably be best suited for a engine swap in a suzuki.  Here:   http://www.sdsefi.com/techheader.htm is a good link for how to fab your own header.  This is a turbo application so what you are doing would be a bit more simple.  Good luck.

Brendan
84 Scirocco 8v
00 Camaro L36 M49
81 Scirocco 'S -->Soon to be m-TDI
93 Corrado SLC VR6
'86 Golf N/A Diesel  -->Wife's car
1990 Audi CQ
05 New Beetle PD TDI

"I am a man, I can change... if I have to.... I guess....."

-Red Green

Reply #2February 08, 2005, 09:08:36 pm

farfugzukn

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2005, 09:08:36 pm »
thanks for the info i checked out the link. I have been doing fabrication for many years and have been thinking about of building a header myself but wanted to see if anyone out there had already done the R&D flow/restriction testing and so on.... :lol:

Reply #3February 08, 2005, 11:24:24 pm

VWRacer

• Veteran

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2005, 11:24:24 pm »
Before launching into this project, be sure to confirm that California permits gasoline-to-diesel conversions. I recommend you start with California's "Engine Conversion Rules" page and go from there. Notice that the page addresses diesel-to-casoline conversions, but there is no mention of the reverse, and I have heard that such conversions are not permitted. This info could be wrong, so be sure to check. You'd hate to make the conversion and then find out California won't let you register the vehicle.
Stan
C-Sports Racer

Reply #4February 09, 2005, 01:36:25 am

farfugzukn

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2005, 01:36:25 am »
very good point.......................... good thing i did check into that before i started the project and the process is almost to simple. I helped a friend do the conversion before i started on mine he bought a turn key 0 mile mtr (complete just stab into sami hook up wires and drive away into the sunset) from a company in gilroy 1.9td for like 3500.00. Anyways put mtr in on a friday and saturday and on wednesday we took to referee he looked under hood asked us to start the sami.........asked us to turn it off, then said "yep thats a diesel" and we went inside the office he put vin number into comp said it was sent to DMV and printed us a copy and he also put a sticker under hood saying vehicle had been changed to diesel no smog required as long as diesel mtr was still in place. The copy of paperwork said same as sticker but hard copy to file and turn in to DMV if they ever sent a  smog required with regestration.  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Reply #5March 05, 2005, 10:43:19 am

racer_x

• Junior

Re: trying to find a header for a 1.6 diesel
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2005, 10:43:19 am »
There's nothing particularly unique about the VW diesel head. It's the same flanges for intake and exhaust as the 8V gas engines.

So, if you are mounting the engine longitudinally, VW Fox/Quantum/Dasher manifolds should work. The exhaust side is always the same, gas or normally asthmatic diesel. The only one that's unique is the turbodiesel (due to the turbo). And any header for a VW Fox (or 4 cylinder Quantum or Dasher) gas engine will fit the diesel engine as well. If you get a header (or fabricate one yourself), be sure to put something at the top to bolt the header to the intake manifold for bracing. And there's 2 M10x1.5 bosses on the back of the block near the bell housing that were used for a downpipe brace on the dual outlet setup, make a brace from those holes to the lower part of the header as well. And be sure to put a flex coupling of some kind between the header and the rest of the exhaust system. With bracing, a header can save you some weight, but without bracing, it will crack to pieces in a very short time. And don't sweat the tuning/scavenging aspect of the header. Diesels have both valves closed for about 10 degrees of crank rotation, so there's no real benefit to the header other than weight savings and slightly better exhaust flow. There's little to be gained from tuning to specific RPM's (or even equal length primaries).

On the intake side, the normally asthmatic diesel intake manifolds double as the air cleaner. Any intake manifold from a dasher diesel would work. And I'm pretty sure the Rabbit diesel intake manifolds and even the A2 diesel intake manifolds would fit for you.  If you want to fab up a connection to a cone filter, you could use any gas intake manifold. The A2 Golf/Jetta gas intakes would put the opening at the front of the engine in your application. A small flange and short pipe to a cone filter would work to get clean air in. The Fox and A1 Rabbit/Scirocco/Jetta/Cabriolet ones would put the opening at the back (probably not optimal).

If you want a carbed manifold, I think I know where one is in a yard down here. That would put the opening centered on the engine facing up, and it would be easy to put a conventional round air cleaner on top of that with minimal fabrication. If you want to go that route, let me know (quickly) and I'll try to grab the manifold.

Reply #6March 07, 2005, 09:34:31 am

farfugzukn

lots of good info
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2005, 09:34:31 am »
thanks for all the info. sounds like you know your vw stuff. i will let you know about the intake im going today to look for parts thanks for all of your ideas and responding to my post............................

lance

Reply #7March 07, 2005, 11:24:45 am

VWRacer

• Veteran

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2005, 11:24:45 am »
Lance, that's great news about converting a gasser to diesel in Cali!

One quick question. Are you planning a turbo diesel, or sticking with NA? I ask because the NA diesel is terribly underpowered (as if you didn't know that... ;)).

BTW, where did your friend get the 1.9TD? (Got a link, name or phone number?)
Stan
C-Sports Racer

Reply #8March 07, 2005, 07:21:53 pm

lord_verminaard

• Veteran

« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2005, 07:21:53 pm »
Ya, I could use one of those too.... :P

Brendan
84 Scirocco 8v
00 Camaro L36 M49
81 Scirocco 'S -->Soon to be m-TDI
93 Corrado SLC VR6
'86 Golf N/A Diesel  -->Wife's car
1990 Audi CQ
05 New Beetle PD TDI

"I am a man, I can change... if I have to.... I guess....."

-Red Green

Reply #9March 08, 2005, 03:03:28 pm

chrissev

• Veteran

Re: trying to find a header for a 1.6 diesel
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2005, 03:03:28 pm »
Really you don't need a header for that engine.  What you need is a turbo and possibly an intercooler set up.  Or a turbo with a header would be the best idea.  Just a header by itself won't make much difference.
88 Jetta TD....sold for $1000, bought an 06 Cobalt, clearing out the diesel jetta stuff now

Reply #10March 11, 2005, 01:25:39 pm

geozukisamurai

« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2005, 01:25:39 pm »
Hey farfugzukn.I too am swaping a vw na diesel into a samurai and if you are looking for info on the swap and what parts to use there is a website on yahoo dedicated solely to this.I am using a ex. man. from a vw fox '87and an intake from a gasser rabbit'80 ish.What kind of adapter kit are you using?I am using the ACME kit,SWEET.Here is a link to the yahoo group.It may not be there for long as they may be moving to Zuwharie      http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/SamuraiDiesel/messages and you should be able to find a link to ACME from there.