Author Topic: TDI-M  (Read 3905 times)

July 09, 2007, 10:41:54 am

4BTA4ME

TDI-M
« on: July 09, 2007, 10:41:54 am »
I have a 2001 ALH engine that I'd like to re-use after my car was wrecked.
      Has anyone been able to justify putting one in a gas engine vehicle  that was equiped with OBD? I have a 1998 gass Jetta I'd like to use if possible. Do I have to buy an older vehicle (pre-OBDII)? The pollution check station here does plug into the OBD-II port as part of required Northern Ohio check.

I have a 1985 1.6 diesel engine that I made into a generator and don't need that generator anymore. Can I use that injection pump? If so, is there any place i can buy the aneroid device for the turbo since my 1985 is not a turbo diesel? I'm trying to find a fast and economical way to execute this swap so I don't have to go through a divorce.

I find it interesting that the 4BT VE pump is being used. I have a 4BT in a 1985 Dodge Ram W150. I have been pushing that pump to its runaway adjustment limit with Bosch 190 injecctors, pump advancing, full fuel adjustments, Intercooler addition and use of an HY35W.

Reply #1July 09, 2007, 03:12:37 pm

lord_verminaard

• Veteran

TDI-M
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2007, 03:12:37 pm »
Welcome, and from a fellow Ohioan!  :)  Too bad you have emissions checking up there, as here in Knox county we do not.  Although, I think in Ohio, you can get the car re-titled as a diesel which I believe is emissions exempt throughout the state.  That's my plan when the 'Rocco gets the TDI engine.

As far as I know, you can get just about any aneroid device from any bosch injection pump and it will fit on the non-aneroid pump you have.  I may be wrong though.

I'd like to see some pics of that 4BT swapped Ram.  ;)  Any source on 4BT injection pumps?  All of them that I see for sale must be made of gold or something.  :p

Brendan
81 Scirocco 'S -->Soon to be m-TDI
93 Corrado SLC VR6
'86 Golf N/A Diesel  -->Wife's car
1990 Audi CQ
05 New Beetle PD TDI

"I am a man, I can change... if I have to.... I guess....."

-Red Green

Reply #2July 09, 2007, 03:13:45 pm

ezekiel

• Junior

TDI-M
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2007, 03:13:45 pm »
as far as converting, you need to look into what your state says as far as engine swaps.

I haven't ever seen anything saying you can't swap different fuel types, usually just that the engine has to be newer than the car it's going into.

with that, you may be able to talk to your state police about changing the title and registration on the car to reflect that it's now a diesel powered car.

which will change your emissions requirements.

Reply #3July 09, 2007, 03:39:00 pm

4BTA4ME

TDI-M
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2007, 03:39:00 pm »
Thanks for the welcome.
I'll give the Staties a call and check on the retitling.

I know what you mean about the 4BT VE pumps. The only people that I think are getting rid of them are the guys going to P pumps.
I'll post a pick on the 4BTA. I just recently added an aftermarket intercooler which added gobs of power and my EGT's stay quite low under heavy loads now. I'll find a pic with the latest mods.

Would it still force me into a pre-1996 vehicle? Our e-check stations plug into the OBD-II port as part of the check. I don't know if they would do that to a 1998 VW diesel equipped car. I guess i can call the E-check station and ask.

I may know someone who has the aneroid in a junk pile.

Reply #4July 09, 2007, 09:18:40 pm

4BTA4ME

TDI-M
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2007, 09:18:40 pm »
I see we cannot post PICS here. You can see my 4BTA in the 1985 Dodge Ram Prospector at http://4BTSWAPS.com and go to "Buildup threads and then to page two and down to "4BT in 1985 Dodge Ram Prospector Shorty". That's my truck. I first started with Saab intercooler and felt that a bid restrictive. I took it out for a while and ran without an intercooler. Somewhere toward the end of the thread is some pics of my 4" thick intercooler. It runs very cool not and i wish i could measure the h.p. gain with the added intercooler. I have:
1. HY35W
2. 6BT intake system including the 6BT intake horn.
3. Bosch 190 injectors.
4. 4" x 24" x 12" intercooler (with all frontal air forced through the intercooler)
5. 4" stainless exhaust
6. 6BT intake heater grid for winter warmups.
7. Custom EGT, Boost psi, coolant temp. system monitor with alarms setpoint capabilities and max reading recordings.
8. The VE pump is maxed on advance to take advantage of the extra fuel from the Bosch 190's, full fuel setting ( just short of runaway), boost induced fuel starwheel all the way down with the plastic washer shaved for an extra 3/32" of travel up the tapered fuel pin. The fuel pin is set for max fuel rate over boost range.
I've been thinking about setting it for a more mild fueling after boating and camping season is over. I have a truck camper in the pick bed and a 4,300# boat behind that. At this setting i get 28 mpg with no load running. Some guys do 30+ mpg but are running in the best vulumetric efficiency region. I tow all my stuff with rpms running at 2,000 at 65 mph. I find the HY35W spools very nice around 2,000 rpm with my timing settings.

Reply #5July 10, 2007, 10:08:55 am

lord_verminaard

• Veteran

TDI-M
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2007, 10:08:55 am »
Cant see the pics on that site unless I register, which I may do since I am looking for diesel swap info for my Jeep Wrangler.  I'm thinking the 4BT may be too heavy but the Isuzu 3.9 might be a little better.  There is lots of good information on that site.

Sounds like a really sweet rig.  What's the maximum RPM's you can turn on the 4BT?  I heard it was really low which is another reason why I've been looking for something else....

Brendan
81 Scirocco 'S -->Soon to be m-TDI
93 Corrado SLC VR6
'86 Golf N/A Diesel  -->Wife's car
1990 Audi CQ
05 New Beetle PD TDI

"I am a man, I can change... if I have to.... I guess....."

-Red Green

Reply #6July 10, 2007, 11:26:28 am

4BTA4ME

TDI-M
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2007, 11:26:28 am »
Sorry about the PICS. I can email a couple to you.
You can see my dyno run on Google video site under "Cummins 4bt dyno run". It was 181 hp and 440 ft.lbs. at the wheels before I added the intercooler.
The weight of the 4BT is around 770 lbs. There are other wrangler owners fitting the 4BT in.
I changed the rpm limit spring from the 2,400 rpm to the 3200 rpm spring. Most swaps do this change to help driveablility when using the 5 speed nv4500 which has widely spaced 3rd and 4th gears. I only run it above 2,500 when I'm shifting while towing heavy loads. I do this so I don't drop below the good H.P. point of the curve during shifts. My rig runs better on the forward side of the peak torque point; where I'm still increasing in H.P.
Guys who are just offroading or always running no-load conditions with lighter vehicles like Jeeps and older Broncos tend to set up their gearing and tire sizes for 1,800 rpm at 65 mph. These are the guys who are consistantly up around 30-32 mpg. I conscientiously decided to sacrifice some mpg and enhance loaded (7,000lbs. plus vehicle weight) conditions.

Reply #7July 10, 2007, 11:06:30 pm

hillfolk'r

• Veteran

TDI-M
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2007, 11:06:30 pm »
basically,you wanna use the 12mm head+plunger from the cummins pump,and use them on the vw  pump,that way its not really like turning up the max revs on a b pump,just getting the fuel w/out worring too much about the governor+stuff
of course you can mod that too,but i dont like it,the revs hang at hi rpm shifts
Throttle cables ftw