Author Topic: eco-diesel  (Read 5066 times)

May 26, 2004, 11:25:01 am

Rat407

• Authorized Vendor
  • Veteran

eco-diesel
« on: May 26, 2004, 11:25:01 am »
I have read various posts on the difference between the eco diesel and a regular turbo diesel.  I'm confused on the difference. I'm beginning to think that my 91 jetta GL is an eco.  How can I tell for sure when I don't have anything to compare it to?  I just saw on Ebay an eco that is being parted out and it looks like mine, from the injection pump to the turbo they have listed.  Is there something in the Bently that tells you?

I just want to know exactly what I have. For the lack of power when I drove mine before I pulled the engine might explain it and be an eco but then I have been driving American V8's for most of my life and not sure what is power in the VW diesel and what isn't.

Thanks

AMSOIL Synthetic Lubricants & Filtration Systems, Click Here
Wholesale pricing available!
1991 Jetta  ECO TD

Reply #1May 26, 2004, 11:50:08 am

BlackTieTD

• Veteran

eco-diesel
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2004, 11:50:08 am »
i was under the impression that eco's came only in golfs... but i could be completely wrong.

Reply #2May 26, 2004, 11:52:11 am

dieseltech

• Junior

• http://www.geocities.com/dean16v/Page_One.html
eco-diesel
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2004, 11:52:11 am »
if your pump looks like this  and you have a turbo on your engine it is a turbo diesel (note: some n/a diesels from 88 to 92 had these pumps too)
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2480201071

if your pump looks like this and you have a turbo its a eco-diesel
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=2479382929&category=33553&sspagename=WDVW
86 td jetta power everything dd (update off the road for major resto).  97tdi bare bones, DD
and a private junkyard of various other vw/audi/bmw/peugeot/volvo/toyota diesels!!!
Cummins has the worlds record for being the most efficient engine ever!!!!!
for converting fuel into noise!

Reply #3May 26, 2004, 11:54:49 am

dieseltech

• Junior

eco-diesel
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2004, 11:54:49 am »
Quote from: "BlackTieTD"
i was under the impression that eco's came only in golfs... but i could be completely wrong.

dunno about other parts of the world but in the USA eco-diesels were ONLY in the jettas from 88 to 92
86 td jetta power everything dd (update off the road for major resto).  97tdi bare bones, DD
and a private junkyard of various other vw/audi/bmw/peugeot/volvo/toyota diesels!!!

Reply #4May 26, 2004, 12:08:42 pm

BlackTieTD

• Veteran

eco-diesel
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2004, 12:08:42 pm »
weird, i heard it was the other way around. disregard my post then  :?

Reply #5May 26, 2004, 12:15:20 pm

Rat407

• Authorized Vendor
  • Veteran

eco-diesel
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2004, 12:15:20 pm »
Dieseltech,

Thanks!  Looks like I have an Eco.  Now is that really a bad thing? I bought the car for economy not speed.  But is there any thing I can do to max out the power? :D

I should have the newly rebuilt engine back in the car this weekend. It will be nice to go far on a smaller tank than my truck.  I did a search on the eco and I didn't find to much that I already didn't know.  

I hopefully will get at least 40mpg. If I get that I will be happy.  Turning off the AC to pass and go up hills will not be a problem. :wink:

Thanks for the replies. This site rocks and everyone is so helpfull.

Cheers.

P.S.  I wonder if I port and polish the intake and exhaust, add a self fabbed 3" exhaust if it will make much of  a difference.  I know I need to get a bigger turbo. The fact that it is an eco explains the K14 KKK turbo on it.
AMSOIL Synthetic Lubricants & Filtration Systems, Click Here
Wholesale pricing available!
1991 Jetta  ECO TD

Reply #6May 26, 2004, 02:57:54 pm

dieseltech

• Junior

eco-diesel
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2004, 02:57:54 pm »
bigger exhaust (2.25 min) and adjust your pump or get a turbo pump will give you better power and if driven easy it should give you better economy.  BUT when you play you will pay in your mpg. even then you should get no less than 40mpg and on average 45 - 50mpg.

when you do lots of mods like mine i get 35mpg when i drive it hard and 55mpg when i drive it nice nice.

Fixmyvw.com