General Information > Troubleshooting

dead battery-problem boosting

(1/3) > >>

acidwarp:
ok, so I left my radio on for like 30 minutes, then the car doesnt start, its struggling to start, so I guess theres a lack of power from the battery.  I boost it with my fathers car, and then when I try to start it, its like theres no power at all in my car (I turn on the key to 2nd spot and you hear click-click-click-click).  Is there a special way to boost a diesel or what?

NGTD:
Check your ground on your booster cables. Probably didn't have a good one. You need to ground to the engine block or something good like that.

MayorDJQ:
Check the battery cables themselves.  Clean them while you're at it.  Dirty connections will cause trouble starting/charging/jumping.  Trace the negative cable to the frame and clean that connection, and also check the block ground.

acidwarp:
Argh, thats it, I put the negative to a metal part of my fathers car, not on mine.

I saw somewhere that it is not good to jumpstart while the booster's car is turned on. True? (they say it could make the glow plugs burn from an overdose of volts..)

MayorDJQ:
If the booster car is off, you may end up sucking all the power out the good battery, especially if you're trying to start a diesel.  Then you'll have two dead cars.

I burned up an alternator belt on my old Toyota truck one time trying to start my Audi 5000 diesel.  I'm probably lucky I didn't cook the alternator, but maybe the burning belt is what saved it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version