Author Topic: More power / better MPG  (Read 2238 times)

January 20, 2005, 10:32:57 pm

ejust

• Junior

More power / better MPG
« on: January 20, 2005, 10:32:57 pm »
We all have read about yanking these pumps apart and attempting to something that would potentially screw up the damn thing.  I like the idea of more power and all, but for the average joe per se (myself), what can be done on simple terms (in basic terminology) by chance?     Bigger exhaust i assume?   My '86 1.6td is completely stock. I think the turbo is a garrett. I would like better/faster spool up, only a couple more psi boost, all with out sacraficing economy too much - basically a good trade off. Do they make a larger downpipe from turbo to exhaust? Stock seems small compared to the pipe size. Should i run only a back muffler? Maybe the middle only instead? Turn up the fueling or the aneroid? Im trying to get more power (moderately).  Faster spool up would be my first. What kinda of intercooler is recommended? Cheapest way?  i want the average guy to understand this stuff like myself who are first timers trying to understand the fun of diesels.  Maybe one or more of you guru's can break it down - adjustment by adjustment and what it does, how to adjust it, expected results (i.e.- more smoke, better accelertion, but less MPG) I think this way all the previous post will get summed up and consolidated in a way. Good idea? Just a thought
      Sorry it so long but thanks for your help and patience! Keep up the good work!

V-dubs r cool n Audi's rule,
German cars make me drool!
'86 Jetta TD (Hoop-D)
'86 Audi 5000S

Reply #1January 21, 2005, 08:05:51 am

Mikeyworks

• Veteran

• http://www28.brinkster.com/mikeyworks/
More power / better MPG
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2005, 08:05:51 am »
That's a good summary...now I just need to do some of that to my 1.6TD Jetta!!!!

Mikey

S-PAutomotive.com