Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: affordable ip rebuild recomendations please???  (Read 1855 times)

June 05, 2007, 03:54:36 pm

purvisgs

• User+

affordable ip rebuild recomendations please???
« on: June 05, 2007, 03:54:36 pm »
I know that I should probably have Giles rebuild my pump, but I really just don't have the $ at this time...

This is an older bosch td pump that has been on the shelf for over a year (filled with diesel fuel), so I don't know where it is was leaking, and don't really feel completely comfortable pulling it apart myself, especially without a spare...

The engine that it came off of has low miles, so I am not too concerned about the pump internals being in bad shape, I am fairly confident that it just had seal/s that were leaking...

Anyways, I have seen posts (mostly older...) mentioning people having the seals replaced in these pumps for $200-$350 or so, but after calling around everyone I could find locally (NW washington state), the best quote that I can find is $600.  This is not unreasonable, but for this price, I might as well have  Giles do the rebuild...

SO,  does anyone have any recommendations for someone who would be able to do this on the cheap?  I could bring it to anywhere in Seattle or Vancouver BC, or ship it.

Thank You!

Reply #1June 05, 2007, 09:59:56 pm

commuter boy

• Veteran

« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2007, 09:59:56 pm »
It's a fair bit of work to split the pump apart, replace all the seals and put it back together properly without any contamination, then test it to make sure it's all on spec.

$600 is about rock bottom for the job from anyone competent.  But if you're going to go to the expense, I'd pay the extra and get a full rebuild or a performance job.

Reply #2June 05, 2007, 10:51:21 pm

burn_your_money

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Bright, On
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2007, 10:51:21 pm »
There is a guy on ebay offering re-sealing for about $250. I read through a few pages of feedback but did not find anythign specific to pump rebuilds. I did message him and he promptly responded, which is always nice
Tyler

Reply #3June 06, 2007, 01:38:38 am

Justin

• Veteran

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2007, 01:38:38 am »
for a good deal on the pumps contact Northern Diesel in Detroit MI, 586-739-7222, I think a rebuild is around the 400 dollar mark but I could be wrong and dont hold me to it. they are very thourough and do nice work, Giles also does nice work, give giles a call and check on a rebuild or reseal and see what he says, it never hurts to ask, and another source is jack at vwdieselparts.com

good luck
www.archeryprostaffmi.com
1985 GMC pickup 4x4 lift kit and runs 14.625 @ 91mph
1982 VW rabbit pickup 1.6L just rebuilt, 100mm cv's, 02A transmission
1997 Geo Tracker 1.9 TDI-M, variable gate turbo, Giles Pump