Author Topic: turbo injection pump swap question  (Read 5463 times)

May 25, 2004, 08:20:59 pm

scopefrfd

• Veteran

turbo injection pump swap question
« on: May 25, 2004, 08:20:59 pm »
I have 2 injection pumps, one from an 85 turbo diesel and one from a 91 1.6 diesel w/ atm compensator.  The pumps look identical, except where the vacuum/ boost lines attach.   The 1.6 td pump runs perfectly makes plenty of power but it has developed a leak at the body/fuel distributor, I guess the o-ring is bad.  I've been told that the 1.6 na pump with the atm comp. can be modded to work as a turbo pump.  Can someone shed light on this?/  Can it be converted to a turbo pump?

Reply #1May 25, 2004, 10:19:01 pm

fspGTD

• Veteran

• http://home.comcast.net/~vwgtd
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2004, 10:19:01 pm »
I've got an atmosphere compensating governor lid in my garage... I'll take a look at it and will let you know if it looks like you could swap the LDA guts into it.

Otherwise you could swap complete governor covers.
Jake Russell
'81 VW Rabbit GTD Autocrosser 1.6lTD, SCCA FSP Class
Dieselicious Turbocharger Upgrade/Rebuild Kits

Reply #2May 25, 2004, 11:23:02 pm

DieselsRcool

• Junior

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2004, 11:23:02 pm »
Might it be easier to replace the dist head o-ring? I just did one and it's not too dif.

Reply #3May 26, 2004, 01:18:51 pm

fspGTD

• Veteran

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2004, 01:18:51 pm »
Disassembled the ATM governor lid and compared it to the LDA pump I've also got in the garage.  The quick answer is: although the aluminum housings (governor lids) seem identical when comparing the LDA vs the ATM options, all the parts that would need to be swapped can't be removed without removing the governor lids from off the pumps.  It would be easier to just swap governor lids.
Jake Russell

Reply #4May 26, 2004, 03:35:00 pm

scopefrfd

• Veteran

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2004, 03:35:00 pm »
I think it may be easier just to replace the o-ring on the pump body, what do you think?

Reply #5May 26, 2004, 07:09:09 pm

fspGTD

• Veteran

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2004, 07:09:09 pm »
Beware of a short term fix, as if the seal is leaking due to excessive movement of the shaft within it's bushing, it is likely that the bushing is worn egg-shaped, and replacing the seal might just cause the new one to start the leak again in short order.  But if the failure mode of the seal is brittleness/cracking due to old age or something like that, and not due to excessive shaft vibration or movement, replacing the seal with new would work well.  I can't say if it would be easier than replacing the LDA cover, as I haven't changed the seal before (I've not had one start leaking on me yet.)
Jake Russell

Reply #6May 26, 2004, 07:16:57 pm

fspGTD

• Veteran

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2004, 07:16:57 pm »
Oops - just re-read the original post, and found that it was the distributor head o-ring, which is entirely different from the input shaft seal I was thinking about in my previous response.

That said, I will defer to Larry or someone else who has done the distributor head o-ring R&R job before, as that's also something I have not attempted.
Jake Russell

Reply #7May 27, 2004, 06:51:43 pm

big swifty

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2004, 06:51:43 pm »
i added a turbo to my 1991 NA which has the "altitude compensation device", I had a post on the evil empire (vortex) about it but cannot find it.  I reversed the vacuum and boost lines after a trial without it...big difference.

so although i defer to the diesel gods on this site...I CAN say my "turbo" pump puts out enough fuel to effortlessly support 10 pounds of boost with room to spare (intercooler going on as we speak)
1991 Jetta Coupe //1.6 TurboDeezil// Intercooled// Pump mods//
1987 Vanagon Syncro TDI... Westfalia pop-top graft//RC2//PP520's
VAG COM

Reply #8May 28, 2004, 08:17:08 pm

scopefrfd

• Veteran

« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2004, 08:17:08 pm »
Quote from: "big swifty"
i added a turbo to my 1991 NA which has the "altitude compensation device", I had a post on the evil empire (vortex) about it but cannot find it.  I reversed the vacuum and boost lines after a trial without it...big difference.

so although i defer to the diesel gods on this site...I CAN say my "turbo" pump puts out enough fuel to effortlessly support 10 pounds of boost with room to spare (intercooler going on as we speak)

big swifty

did you just add the boost line to the pump or did you first swap the fittings so the boost line attaches where the turbo pumps normally do?

Fixmyvw.com