S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: help fith gear is grinding  (Read 2729 times)

December 19, 2004, 10:59:18 pm

cassini75

help fith gear is grinding
« on: December 19, 2004, 10:59:18 pm »
have a 86 jetta diesel, 1.6l with a 020 and the trany grinds when i try to put it in 5th, every shifter bushing is worn out and i dont have to press down on the shifter to even get it to go in reverse, could this be why i have no 5th gear, or is the gear need replacing? btw it will not even work in 5th just grinding metal sounds

Reply #1December 20, 2004, 02:39:11 am

fatmobile

• Veteran

• http://www.geocities.com/vwfatmobile/
grinding in 5th
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2004, 02:39:11 am »
Low trany fluid will affect the 5th gear first because it is higher and will be the first without lubrication.
Tornado red, '91 Golf 4 door,
with a re-ringed, '84 quantum, turbo diesel, MD block

Reply #2December 20, 2004, 02:56:51 am

vwmike

• Authorized Vendor
  • Veteran

Re: grinding in 5th
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2004, 02:56:51 am »
Quote from: "fatmobile"
Low trany fluid will affect the 5th gear first because it is higher and will be the first without lubrication.

Agreed, check your fluid level. Sometimes topping it off can help, but chances are the damage is already done and you'll need to source a replacement transmission.

Reply #3January 09, 2005, 04:25:33 pm

Patrick

• Veteran

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2005, 04:25:33 pm »
Got lucky with one that was popping out of gear, topping up the oil "fixed" it. Had enough leaks that I put another one in I had in stock when I had to do the clutch.

Reply #4January 09, 2005, 06:56:11 pm

VWRacer

• Veteran

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2005, 06:56:11 pm »
Here's is an idea that I applied to the Mitzu tranny on my son's Talon when it started grinding in 5th gear. Since the VW trans is so similar, it  may work for you as well. ;)

(I'm in Kansas City right now and can't go look to see if this will work.)

Does the end of the tranny have a cap that can be removed without pulling the trans out of the car? If so, try removing it and tightening the nut on the end of the gear shaft. The tranny in my the Talon started grinding and then wouldn't even go into gear. I thought the tranny was dead, but when I removed the cap one nut was completely loose (though still on the shaft). The brass syncro was all buggered up, so I heated it really hot with a propane torch and pounded it flat with a sledge on the flat of a bench vice, then reinserted it, tightened the nut to 110 ft-lbs and remounted the cap, using high temp gasket maker. It made grinding noises for a few days, but has worked fine for a couple of months now.

If this idea has merit, let me know and I'll post some pics... ;)
Stan
C-Sports Racer

Reply #5January 09, 2005, 08:58:58 pm

lord_verminaard

• Veteran

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2005, 08:58:58 pm »
While I suppose it's possible, I doubt that the 5th gear nut could work it's way loose since I think it's tightened down to something like 130 ft/lbs.  What is more likely, is that when running the tranny low in fluid and heating 5th gear up, the cage that holds the bearings on the 5th gear synchro assembly melts away (it's plastic) and prevents the slider from working right.  (ask me how I know, I'm tearing apart my 4k tranny right now!!!)  I think I caught mine before any serious damage could be done but if you drive it like that long enough you're pretty much screwed and need a new 5th gear and slider assembly.  Mine only popped out of gear about 5 times on my drive from Maryland to Ohio.

On a side note, I also discovered today that both front calipers were completely seized during the 430 mile trip and I was running on rear brakes alone!!! I pulled the rear drums off yesterday and the liner on both shoes on both sides detached from the metal shoe!  No wonder the brakes didnt work so well.  :P

Brendan
84 Scirocco 8v
00 Camaro L36 M49
81 Scirocco 'S -->Soon to be m-TDI
93 Corrado SLC VR6
'86 Golf N/A Diesel  -->Wife's car
1990 Audi CQ
05 New Beetle PD TDI

"I am a man, I can change... if I have to.... I guess....."

-Red Green

Reply #6January 09, 2005, 09:16:32 pm

VWRacer

• Veteran

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2005, 09:16:32 pm »
Yes, certainly if the tranny is running dry and kills fifth gear, then a loose nut is not the culprit. I only offer up the idea in case the case is not leaking. In any case, the Mitzu tranny nut is also secured with over 100 ft-lbs (110 sticks in my mind), but it is known to loosen. ;-
Stan
C-Sports Racer