Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: Ceramic coated vs. stainless  (Read 12404 times)

Reply #15May 02, 2006, 07:55:48 pm

malone

• Administrator
  • Veteran

• Malone Tuning Ltd.
Ceramic coated vs. stainless
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2006, 07:55:48 pm »
In addition to the previous post, mild steel will also cost a bit less. My car was outside in snowy/wet winter without a hood for two weeks and my fully exposed mild steel downpipe had very light surface rust. With ceramic coating and even exhaust wrap (for the paranoid), not forgetting a hood to keep the engine bay relatively dry, it'll last a long time.
http://www.tunezilla.com
93 Eurovan AHU TDI
96 Golf 1.9L ASV TDI - I bought it back!
97 Golf Variant Syncro 1.9L 1Z TDI - sold and missed
11 Golf 2.0L CJAA TDI DSG - Stage 4
14 Golf Wagon 2.0L CJAA TDI DSG - Sold
17 BMW 328d wagon - Sold
09 BMW 335d 3.0L

Reply #16June 12, 2006, 01:11:57 am

Ol'Dubber

Ceramic coated vs. stainless
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2006, 01:11:57 am »
Voted stainless, have had experience with both on same application(downpipe).  If I'd gone stainless the first time would've saved enough money to buy rest of exhaust system, not to mention time lost etc.. Granted my environment is rough, cold, sandy and salty, ceramic coating seems not to like quick extreme temperature change in concert with a dose of sand and salt, but if stainless is nearly bullet proof here, last forever in BC, Southern ON and SO Cal.
I think brittle concerns can be addressed with milder nickel content stainless, don't remember spec numbers but we've built some things from that type that took a pounding, flex and vibration, and didn't break.  It will corrode a bit, but probably last longer than a lot of marriages and the vehicle it's on.  I won't have anything but stainless on my vehicles
Just my 25 cents worth
Ol'Dubber

Reply #17November 24, 2007, 09:01:24 am

Baselyne

un-protected welds?
« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2007, 09:01:24 am »
hey there I dont wanna chime in on someones posts but didnt the man say the welds on the stainless would rust/corrode?
Are they un-protected?

wouldnt this give justification to put a clear over the stainless even tho its welll, stainless!

I think the ceramic would be best if this is the case...
Any more in-puts?

Reply #18November 24, 2007, 07:03:02 pm

Ol'Dubber

Re: un-protected welds?
« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2007, 07:03:02 pm »
Quote from: "Baselyne"
hey there I dont wanna chime in on someones posts but didnt the man say the welds on the stainless would rust/corrode?
Are they un-protected?

wouldnt this give justification to put a clear over the stainless even tho its welll, stainless!

I think the ceramic would be best if this is the case...
Any more in-puts?

Some shops actually weld stainless pipes with mild steel rod/wire (too much trouble to get right stuff!!) which will rust..have to use stainless rod or wire which won't rust..  Guess for totally paranoid, start w/ stainless, coat it, wrap it and don't drive it.. probably last indefinitely!!!?
Ol'Dubber