Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: VW Syncro Quantum TO bearing question  (Read 2033 times)

January 08, 2005, 06:50:16 pm

jackbombay

• Veteran

VW Syncro Quantum TO bearing question
« on: January 08, 2005, 06:50:16 pm »
So the syncro Quantum I am buying is in Medford and it makes a notable screeching noise that is associated with the clutch. The current owner thinks it would be a bad idea to drive it back to Portland. My buddy and I were driving down there to tow it back with a tow dolly today behind his Volvo 245, but I5 is closed due to snow/jacknifed trucks. I know nobody else with a vehicle that can tow another car, my buddy is busy for a while. So it looks like I will drive it back with the bad throwout bearing (about 275 miles). Symptoms; screeching like a slipping belt at times, sometimes barley audible, noise changes when clutch pedal is depressed to varying degrees.

It really seems like a bad TO bearing to me, what do you guys think?

What is the worst that could happen as a result of driving it like this?

My plan is to get the car on ramps and pull the rubber boot back on the clutch arm and use a long straw on a can of oil to get some oil on the TO bearing, if this helps great, if not? oh well.

Lastly the car is coming with a 2.0L Audi Turbo Diesel motor that will be swapped in soon after I get it home, so if the existing clutch gets screwed form driving with the bad throwout bearing it will not matter.

Thoughts? Ideas?

Reply #1January 09, 2005, 07:28:46 am

Patrick

• Veteran

« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2005, 07:28:46 am »
I'd be checking the oil level in the tranny to start with!Could be the whole tranny is low on oil. Do you really have to drive the car back today? Can't it wait until next weekend? Are these the cars that have the engine turned the other way like the Fox? Never had one of them apart, but if it is, the clutch/throwout bearing is probably set up like anything rear wheel drive. If the throwout bearing flys apart, it could do some damage to the clutch and/or input shaft on the tranny and leave you stranded.

Reply #2January 09, 2005, 09:43:19 am

Mark(The Miser)UK

• Veteran

Screeching Noise
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2005, 09:43:19 am »
Is it definitely the thrust bearing and not an alternator belt?
What happens when clutch is depressed and bearing loaded?

I suggest that it cannot come off as it is 'lanced' with the drive shaft. It can come loose however to prevent its use.
No problem just drive with engine speed gear changes. If you stop keep to a slope so that you can get car rolling again.:o)
Traffic junctions are interesting leave enough gap for a crawl to the line!
I say go for it. :twisted:
Mark-The-Miser-UK

"There's nothing like driving past a bonfire and then realising; its my car on fire!"

I'm not here to help... I'm here to Pro-Volke"

Be like meeee: drive a Quantum TD
 ...The best work-horse after the cart...

Reply #3January 09, 2005, 12:07:14 pm

jackbombay

• Veteran

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2005, 12:07:14 pm »
I will be getting it this week sometime, thursday hopefully. I was going to tow it before(yesterday), but that option is several weeks out now. the seller needs the money for a move and hey, I want the car :D. Belts are fine, tranny is fillled to correct level.

If the clutch got screwed up it would matter little, The gasser is not staying in long after I get the car, and the Diesel needs a clutch anyway.

When the clutch is depressed the noise changes (gets louder), depressing the clutch is the only thing that has an effect on the noise.

If the clutch fails on the drive home it would not be that bad, I used to shift my scirocco without the clutch often. Most of the drive is highway, just the last 1 mile is lights. I would probably tow it witha  tow strap that last bit if the clutch did actually totally fail.

S-PAutomotive.com