Author Topic: IDI - effect of reducing compression ratio on hp & mpg  (Read 39412 times)

Reply #105June 15, 2007, 08:35:20 am

jimfoo

• Veteran

• http://www.66rover.com
IDI - effect of reducing compression ratio on hp & mpg
« Reply #105 on: June 15, 2007, 08:35:20 am »
Well here was the reply I got. Sounds like his idea is a groove across most of the piston over to the prechamber, just like our pistons already have.

"Thanks for your interests in Diesels !
i call IDIs ~ Flat chambers ~ as in most cases the head is flat so are the piston's tops ~ Except for some little directional grooves guiding the charge into and out of the key hole connecting them to the embedded pre-combustion chamber. i have milled a thin groove or call it a channel covering across 3/4th of the piston crown with the maximum depth close to the key hole thereby giving some direction to the compressing charge and to further channel its way up into the pre-combustion chamber through the key hole causing a more severe swirl in the pre-combustion chamber. ( All this is ~ Assumed ??? ) Once ignited the flame fronts with partly ignited diesel get a chance to go much further across the piston crown to meet the trapped fresh air. i have noticed a little compression loss due to the longish channel. All this calls for a lot of thinking and modifications to strike a compromise. The key hole as it is ~ Is enough to cause enough and more turbulence in the compressing air ~ It is like whistling with your lip formation !

This kind of longish channel did manage to get my IDI's start a lot quicker and idle smoother ? The smoke was gone so was the watering of eyes ?? due to CO ? The torque also improved ~ i did not have time to face the block & Piston to further increase the compression to the optimum ? Who knows ? ~ My friend hardly uses the heater plug once the engine has been started-up and has no complains ? i have seen M Benz older 5 cylinders IDI's having 4 channels on the piston crown like a star bust & a slight projecting nozzle having 4 or 5 holes at different levels aligning with the grooves ~ This extended bulb which is the pri-combustion Chamber really remains hot & glowing once started to heat up all the air passing through it ! ? i am sure MB & Bosch have many Patents on them ~ After CRDI with multiple injections took over ~ it is a different story ! Nobody realizes the complex expensive hard ware that supports Fifth generation CRDI ?

The grooves can achieve the same performance from Lower pressure First generation CRDI 's ( DI's ) ~ Can now  Run on poorer quality high Sulpher Diesels ? Producing a lot lesser NOx !
Life goes on ! What type of a IDI's are we looking at ? Where do you come from & what is your back ground ? Stay tuned ! A lot more is sure to happen !
Happy Motoring !
sing !!!
Jim
1966 Land-Rover 88" with 1.9 1Z which has been transformed to an M-TDI
TFO35 mechanically controlled VNT, IC , and 2.5" exhaust.
Driven daily

S-PAutomotive.com