Author Topic: What Intercooler to use  (Read 3493 times)

May 24, 2004, 12:26:06 pm

1985JettaTD

What Intercooler to use
« on: May 24, 2004, 12:26:06 pm »
This weekend i am looking to set out and find an intercooler for my 1985 Jetta 1.6l TD. what is the best intercooler to use? i do not want to "move" anything under the hood. should i use a stock one off say and Audi 5000 or something off the newer TDI's or should i go out and buy an aftermarket intercooler? whitch one would give me the best cooling? could you too please post any proplems that any of you found when putting an intercooler on a A2 body. thank you for all the help?

Reply #1May 24, 2004, 01:14:01 pm

DVST8R

• Veteran

What Intercooler to use
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2004, 01:14:01 pm »
Well If you don't want to move anything under the hood, mabey an aftermarket one can be found to suit those needs, as far as I know all of the "junkyard" ones need stuff rearanged. As far as the best one to use, I would say that an aftermarket like a sperco (sp?) would hands down out perform anything found in the junkyard, but will cost alot more too. I use a mazda mx6 / ford probe intercooler all Aluminum, but I had to move the rad, I no longer have a passengerside headlight, and some pretty extensive fabing to get the charge pipe to clear the alternator, but on the upside it was only $40 for the intercooler and $20 worth of charge pipe and accessories, but it was many hours of time, and it is far from perfect.

If I had a camera I would post some pics but I don't so...

Hope this helps. Oh by the way its on an '86 Td coupe, with factory small bumpers, and factory rectangle headlights. (If I had single rounds I could keep both headlights.
The Brett of the board...

The Dark Side of Beauty.[/i]

Reply #2May 24, 2004, 05:54:11 pm

DieselsRcool

• Junior

What Intercooler to use
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2004, 05:54:11 pm »
I have a Ford probe IC going in my Rabbit PU. It appears that it will fit behind the grill, just in front of the alt. and part of the rad. Looks like I will need to move the spigots to clear the alt but that's about it. We'll see.  :?

S-PAutomotive.com