Author Topic: OH CRAP WHATS GOING ON NOW!!!! HELP!!!  (Read 3953 times)

December 21, 2004, 03:59:57 pm

Topherdiesel

• Junior

OH CRAP WHATS GOING ON NOW!!!! HELP!!!
« on: December 21, 2004, 03:59:57 pm »
First off, 93 TD golf 1.9 aaz

So I went to do my headgasket and timing belt the other day,a nd long story short, before I got the engine apart, it became apparent that I had been given the wrong headgsaket, so I put everything back together.

Great, cept for one thing.

I noticed(and it was not caused by anything I did) that the pulley that spins off the crank(altenator, big ribbed belt) has some wobble in it.

Now looking it it from the side, its hard to tell if the crank bolt has this movement, ir if its just the pulley.  Putting a prybar on the pulley produced no visible movement.

This to me does not sound like the dreaded 'crank bolt back out' that we have heard about, as then I believe it would not be a wobbly movement, but its hard to say.

Crank bearing facked?
Pulley bent???

What do I do people???
This concerns me a great deal, i would drive wherever so anyone that knows could see it.
This sucks balls, merry xmas to me!!!
:(

Reply #1December 21, 2004, 06:20:00 pm

mainer

• Junior

« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2004, 06:20:00 pm »
try posting it on www.tdiclub.com ............i know it is not a tdi but it is still a 1.9...........they should be able to get you a quicker answer
08 Duramax
12 Sportwagen TDi

Reply #2December 21, 2004, 06:45:29 pm

Topherdiesel

• Junior

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2004, 06:45:29 pm »
I have had mixed results with those guys, there are a few ridiculously smart people here who's answers I am awaiting!!

Reply #3December 21, 2004, 10:26:15 pm

MK3 GTD

• User+

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2004, 10:26:15 pm »
is it wobling as in from side to side of the belt? if so its probably a bent pulley, usually when the timing pulley goes, you can turn the pulley one or two degrees without turning the crank.

that being said, if you are doing the head gasket, i would take the timing pulley off of the crank to inspect it check for signs of wear on the keyway on both the pulley and the crank

if the key way is just a straight line across the edge of the crank as apposed to a square tapered key, that means that your engine has already been properly repaired and should not have this problem again, if it is the square tapered notch than i would suggest looking into the new style pulley. what you want is the timing pulley off of a 97-98 TDI the pulley is identical except that it has the flat spot key. Look into any vw shops in your area and see if they have a means of cutting your crank to fit this pulley. many shops can do this with the crank installed in the vehicle for a much smaller price than what would happen if it goes.
1996 Golf 1.9TD
1984 Rabbit 1.6TD
1987 Jetta Coupe 1.6D

Reply #4December 21, 2004, 11:06:31 pm

gropar

• User+

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2004, 11:06:31 pm »
I had this problem.

Thing is that the end of the crank rounds of a little, wich causes the pulley to move a little. It's not that bad. Yet.

The movment of the pulley causes wear to the crank's end, wich makes the pulley move a little more, wich..... You see where I'm going.

You can either replace the crank shaft, or have the one you use partially rebuilt. Partially means that it is machined (faced and notched) on the engine.

If it is not too badly damaged, it should cost around 400Can$.

If it is too badly damaged, you will have to remove it from the engine and have it machined in a shop. You dont want to know how this costs. I'm not gonna tell you.
I did it, and I swear it is only because I did not know that a simple tdi/mecanical swap was easy and affordable on my A2 (I tough it was either the crank or an other 1.9idi -- wich is ridiculously expensive). ( I am little ashamed about this, but someone could learn from this mistake.)
1.9 IDI,
minimalist exhaust system; soon big FMIC and 15 psi boost.

Reply #5December 22, 2004, 12:54:01 am

Topherdiesel

• Junior

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2004, 12:54:01 am »
So before I get the crank fixed(and a few peole have offered their services)

How exactly do I check if its just the pulley???

Which pulley is it, the one that holds the ribber serpentine belt
or the one in behind that the timing belt spins on??
What do I check, what do i do??

Reply #6December 22, 2004, 01:46:13 am

asau

« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2004, 01:46:13 am »
the serpentine belt that runs the alternator comes off easily just remove the torex bolts, then pull the pully straight out.

anyone have any links to other posts or webpages about this subject? i have a aaz and i am concerned

Reply #7December 22, 2004, 02:01:17 am

Topherdiesel

• Junior

« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2004, 02:01:17 am »
Well yeah, but is that the pulley i need be concerned that its bent, or is it the timing belt pulley somewhere in behind that?

Reply #8December 22, 2004, 02:58:26 am

srivett

• Veteran

« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2004, 02:58:26 am »
Yeah, the two pullies are bolted together.  You could remove the lower timing cover, put the serpentine back on, and fire it up to watch for wobbles.  The bolt on the end of the crank is a bit above a lone DIY mechanic.  You'll need friends around to loosen it off and put it back on properly.

Steve
1992 1.6D Golf - 412K km
Mint except for chipped paint, no rust :)

Reply #9December 22, 2004, 06:44:53 am

gropar

• User+

« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2004, 06:44:53 am »
the problem is NOT the pulley but the cank shaft itself.

As said by srivet, both pulleys are bolted together. So if the end of the crankshaft is not straight, they will both woble.
1.9 IDI,
minimalist exhaust system; soon big FMIC and 15 psi boost.

Reply #10December 22, 2004, 09:15:05 am

Topherdiesel

• Junior

« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2004, 09:15:05 am »
They ARE both wobbling, albeit the v belt on the outermost seems to wobble alot less than the serp belt pulley.

So this mean i need my crank machined and the tdi sprocket installed!

YAY, another christmas miracle!!!
 :x

Reply #11December 22, 2004, 10:59:28 pm

MK3 GTD

• User+

« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2004, 10:59:28 pm »
theres a v-belt pulley and a serp pulley, plus the toothed pulley, if its just the serp and v belt that you can see wobbling than its probably the just those pulleys bent, if you can see the toothed pulley wobbling then definately look into the crankshaft, if your doing the timing belt, make sure you take off the toothed pulley and check the keyway if it hasnt already been fixed i would suggest getting it changed to the tdi pulley regardless for future insurance
1996 Golf 1.9TD
1984 Rabbit 1.6TD
1987 Jetta Coupe 1.6D

Reply #12December 23, 2004, 02:28:05 am

asau

« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2004, 02:28:05 am »
how do you change it to the tdi pulley? do you just swap the pulley itself or is it more than just that ?

Reply #13December 23, 2004, 11:35:22 am

QuickTD

• Veteran

« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2004, 11:35:22 am »
how do you change it to the tdi pulley? do you just swap the pulley itself or is it more than just that ?

It's a bit more involved than that. You have to machine the end of the crank to accomodate the different keying method used on the TDI. I've only ever worked on cranks that have been badly damaged, so I generally remove them, weld up the end and re-machine it to the proper dimensions and with the proper "flat" to accept the TDI pulley. Others have been successful at machining the crank without removing it from the engine. I would think that this would work fine, provided the crank isn't too tore up.

Fixmyvw.com