Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: Oil for diesel additive  (Read 6341 times)

Reply #15November 10, 2007, 08:26:38 pm

stewardc

Oil for diesel additive
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2007, 08:26:38 pm »
Wow, does this ever sound like a shameless plug.

Reply #16November 10, 2007, 09:36:23 pm

subsonic

• Veteran

Oil for diesel additive
« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2007, 09:36:23 pm »
" Not only am I the president of hair club for men, I am also a client."

:lol:    :lol:     :lol:    :wink:
2009 Jetta TDI Loyal edition, 6-spd. 16V 2.0CR

1985 VW Golf 5-spd, 4-door, 1.6NA  Bought from orig. owner in Savannah with 42,000 miles.
"Making the jump NA to TD" slow but sure.

1980 VW Rabbit LS 5-spd, 4-door 1.6NA almost 450,000miles  RIP

Reply #17November 10, 2007, 10:05:39 pm

jimfoo

• Veteran

• http://www.66rover.com
Oil for diesel additive
« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2007, 10:05:39 pm »
Product Name: DBF-4
Manufacturer: PROLAB TECHNOLUB INC.
Emergency phone : CANUTEC (613) 996-6666
Material uses: Treatment for diesel fuel
WHMIS classification : B3, D1A, D2B
SECTION 02 : COMPOSITION AND INFORMATION ON HAZARDOUS INGREDIENTS
CONTROLLED % BY WEIGHT C.A.S. # LD/50, ROUTE, SPECY LC/50, ROUTE, SPECY
2-butoxyethanol 60-100 % 111-76-2 470 mg/kg, ORAL, RAT
220 mg/kg, DERMAL, RABBIT
450 PPM / 4 hrs RAT
SECTION 03: HAZARD IDENTIFICATION
Potential acute health
effects:
Very dangerous in the event of contact with the eyes (irritation and absorption), the
skin (irritation) of ingestion and inhalation. A severe over-exposure can cause death.
Perhaps fatal if inhaled or ingested. Itching, rough skins, the appearance of redness,
or occasionally bulbs characterize skin irritation.
Potential chronic
health effects:
Hematological attack may cause damage to liver, spleen and kidneys.
Carcinogenic effects: None known
Mutagenic effects: None known
Teratogenic effects: None known
Reproduction system effects: None known
SECTION 04: FIRST AID MEASURES
Eye contact: Flush immediately with water for at least 15 minutes. Call a physician.
Skin contact: Wash with mild soap and water; get medical attention if irritation develops.
Inhalation : If indisposed by fumes, remove to fresh air. If breathing stops, perform artificial respiration.
Call a physician.
Ingestion: Do not induce vomiting; do not give anything to an unconscious person. Call a physician.

What is 2-butoxyethanol and 2-butoxyethanol acetate?

2-Butoxyethanol is a clear colorless liquid that smells like ether. It has many names including ethylene glycol monobutyl ether, ethylene glycol butyl ether, ethylene glycol n-butyl ether, Butyl Cellusolve, butyl glycol, and butyl Oxitol. It is used as a solvent in spray lacquers, enamels, varnishes, and latex paints and as an ingredient in paint thinners and strippers, varnish removers, and herbicides. It is also used in liquid soaps, cosmetics, industrial and household cleaners, and dry-cleaning compounds.
Jim
1966 Land-Rover 88" with 1.9 1Z which has been transformed to an M-TDI
TFO35 mechanically controlled VNT, IC , and 2.5" exhaust.
Driven daily

Reply #18November 10, 2007, 11:41:12 pm

cowboybootlegger

• User+

Oil for diesel additive
« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2007, 11:41:12 pm »
What do you guys think of Lucas Products fuel system additive?
I've seen notable gains in mileage when i put 3-5 oz in a tank, and
i'm told it has good lubricity to it... but then again i also run wvo and the occasional ATF mixture, so i may not have much to worry about.
Dern ulsd. :(    But at least thery're tryin' to be more environmentally friendly...I guess...

Reply #19November 11, 2007, 12:21:25 am

jimfoo

• Veteran

• http://www.66rover.com
Oil for diesel additive
« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2007, 12:21:25 am »
I've heard good things about the Lucas oil additives in transmissions, like lower oil temps, but have no experience with the fuel additives.
Jim
1966 Land-Rover 88" with 1.9 1Z which has been transformed to an M-TDI
TFO35 mechanically controlled VNT, IC , and 2.5" exhaust.
Driven daily

Reply #20November 11, 2007, 12:33:41 am

cowboybootlegger

• User+

Oil for diesel additive
« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2007, 12:33:41 am »
Quote from: "jimfoo"
I've heard good things about the Lucas oil additives in transmissions, like lower oil temps, but have no experience with the fuel additives.

Yeah, i love their tranny treatment, good stuff.  I had a friend who had a nissan maxima with an auto that was so far gone that he had no forward gears... added some lucas... got back his forward gears for a couple weeks. :shock:  :lol:   I use it every chance i get, prolly keep that company in business.  :roll:

Reply #21November 11, 2007, 06:45:56 am

stewardc

Oil for diesel additive
« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2007, 06:45:56 am »
Quote from: "jasonsansfleece"
I reset the internal pump pressure (it was low) and it made a positve diference to how the car runs.
Search the vwdieselparts.com fourm for how to.
Guy

The old guy over there (Hagar) pushes the addition of parafin wax to ULSD.

Reply #22November 11, 2007, 07:59:23 am

Ziptar

• Veteran

Oil for diesel additive
« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2007, 07:59:23 am »
Synthetic Oil is Bad to run through you tank. As stated earlier it won't actually burn and lord know what you'll have left behind.

Use a diesel fuel additive, I like Power Service Diesel Kleen only because the price is good, is available everywhere, and it actually seems to do what it claims in my TDI. I notice less smoke, % better mileage and so on.

I also used to run an occasional quart of Non synthetic Type F Automatic transmission fluid. It lubes and cleans as well. At least thats what I have read.

Reply #23November 11, 2007, 11:42:34 am

cowboybootlegger

• User+

Oil for diesel additive
« Reply #23 on: November 11, 2007, 11:42:34 am »
Quote from: "Ziptar"
Synthetic Oil is Bad to run through you tank. As stated earlier it won't actually burn and lord know what you'll have left behind.

Are you sure that it won't burn? Because i've run as much as 30% used synthetic engine oil with my WVO mix with no reduction in mileage or power whatsoever.  I've also had the heads off of several WVO and synthetic burning engines, and noticed no unusual deposits.  In theory, wouldn't the synthetics slightly improve upper cylinder lubricity properties as well?  And why would they offer synthetic 2-cycle oil if it won't combust?  Wouldn't that defeat the purpose? :?
And i've filled a new fuel filter with Mercon V full synthetic ATF on filter changes and it runs exactly the same... Maybe i'm just lucky. :lol:

Use a diesel fuel additive, I like Power Service Diesel Kleen only because the price is good, is available everywhere, and it actually seems to do what it claims in my TDI. I notice less smoke, % better mileage and so on.

I do agree with you on this point, as i've had good luck with reputable fuel additives, and since they're formulated for this specific purpose, they're
probably the best option. :wink:

I also used to run an occasional quart of Non synthetic Type F Automatic transmission fluid. It lubes and cleans as well. At least thats what I have read.

Amen!

Reply #24November 11, 2007, 01:32:34 pm

turbosuzi

Oil for diesel additive
« Reply #24 on: November 11, 2007, 01:32:34 pm »
2 stroke works the best for the price. The reason for using 2 stroke over motor oil is that 2 stroke will not coke up the combustion chamber because it designed to completely burn off.