Author Topic: need more knowledge  (Read 2150 times)

December 14, 2004, 04:14:18 am

ejust

• Junior

need more knowledge
« on: December 14, 2004, 04:14:18 am »
as i work on my A2 Jetta TD, i realize that my ex wifes A1 bunny (gasser) she had was easier to work on for some reason. Everytime i fix something on this darn car, something else has went. Hopefully the problems quit soon. But anyways, since my car is back into the garage - AGAIN - i got the waterneck thats cracked, im curious as to the timing on the diesel. I know th book says .95 to 1.05mm.  Ive got a 1" indicator (.001" increments). Ive got the extension for it and such. Does it matter on this. I wonder if im really close or not. I could be setting it to my 1.00mm (.039") but i may be actually off. It seems to start real good. Does seem to be a bit "doggy" compared to before i changed the timing belt. Also, the pump mods - im tempted, but im real afraid of messing with my milage. I value my 45mpg but at times would like some zip per se. Let me know of your opinions. Im curious. Thanks ahead of time for your replys.

V-dubs r cool n Audi's rule,
German cars make me drool!
'86 Jetta TD (Hoop-D)
'86 Audi 5000S

Reply #1December 14, 2004, 11:26:16 pm

chrissev

• Veteran

Re: need more knowledge
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2004, 11:26:16 pm »
how do you know that you're off with the timing?  It's hard to be off with that.  If the needle moves after you reset the gauge, try tapping it a bit before you tighten the screws on the extension.  I've set the timing on my Jetta many times and never been off at all.
88 Jetta TD....sold for $1000, bought an 06 Cobalt, clearing out the diesel jetta stuff now

Reply #2December 15, 2004, 02:11:12 am

Dr. Diesel

• Authorized Vendor
  • Veteran

need more knowledge
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2004, 02:11:12 am »
give it a shot and see what happens. if you lose 2 mpg, but gain a bit of pep, maybe it's worthwhile!
I repair, maintain and modify VW's and BMW's.
Good work done at affordable rates. Welding and fabricating, too.
Performance Diesel Injection's Super Pump: gotta have one!