Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: compound questions  (Read 6881 times)

Reply #15December 17, 2004, 11:05:41 am

fspGTD

• Veteran

• http://home.comcast.net/~vwgtd
compound questions
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2004, 11:05:41 am »
Guys, you can size the outer turbo of a multiple stage turbo using methods and equations as given in hugh mckinnes book. "turbochargers". (the chapter that's all about multiple stages turbos may be called "diesels" or "diesel tractor pulls" or something like that.)  I used to have this book but unfortunately now it's missing...   :cry:  must have been "borrowed" by one of my friends who hasn't returned it.  But I clearly remember an entire chapter showing an example of how to size multiple-staged turbos.  They even work through how to size 2-stages of turbos on an example engine.  You basically work from the inside turbo outwards as you do the sizing, IIRC.  Bell's book doesn't cover multiple stages.
Jake Russell
'81 VW Rabbit GTD Autocrosser 1.6lTD, SCCA FSP Class
Dieselicious Turbocharger Upgrade/Rebuild Kits

Reply #16December 20, 2004, 11:01:36 am

web

• Junior

compound questions
« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2004, 11:01:36 am »
Quote from: "fspGTD"
You basically work from the inside turbo outwards as you do the sizing, IIRC.

Ah, right... sounds "easy", ahem... ;)

About the K24... well, it's roughly 1.5 times bigger (in flow) than a K03 judging by some flowmaps that you can find on the web.

IF I have an understanding of this now, the K24 will start helping along really soon and limit the K03 through backpressure. Likely the K24 will end up doing a large share of the work, but 30 psi of boost should still be easy, with the K24 supplying 15 (2:1 PR) and the K03 the rest (1.5:1 PR). The K24 may be nearing its useful limit at that point, effectively feeding a 1.5 times bigger engine than usual. As if you'd put it on a D24 volvo.

30 psi of boost could make like 140 hp even on a 1.6 though ;) Imagine that... and if the engine has not exploded yet, you could get a bigger outer turbo, or move the K24 inwards and get a REALLY big outer turbo...

Marcel
Current car: '92 Fiat Croma TDID, similar to VW TDI only completely mechanical DI - with VE-style pump.
Previous car: '84 mk2 diesel, w/1.6TD swap ('86 hyd engine), 9mm plunger, KKK K24.

Reply #17December 22, 2004, 02:19:11 pm

fspGTD

• Veteran

• http://home.comcast.net/~vwgtd
compound questions
« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2004, 02:19:11 pm »
Quote from: "fspGTD"
I used to have this book but unfortunately now it's missing...   :cry:

Well what do ya know... my brother was in town, staying at our mom's house and he said he found a really neat book over there that he started reading called "Turbochargers"... I guess it turned up!  :D
Jake Russell
'81 VW Rabbit GTD Autocrosser 1.6lTD, SCCA FSP Class
Dieselicious Turbocharger Upgrade/Rebuild Kits

S-PAutomotive.com