Author Topic: how much to knife edge and balance a crank?  (Read 5902 times)

August 03, 2007, 12:04:53 pm

the4ork

• Veteran

how much to knife edge and balance a crank?
« on: August 03, 2007, 12:04:53 pm »
want to get my crank knife edged and balanced... how much does that typically run?

Reply #1August 03, 2007, 02:04:29 pm

Kudagra

• Veteran

• www.no-coast.com
Re: how much to knife edge and balance a crank?
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2007, 02:04:29 pm »
Quote from: "the4ork"
want to get my crank knife edged and balanced... how much does that typically run?

Really depends on the shop. Best to call around. You know when you balance your crank shaft you will need the entire rotating assembly (flywheel, pressure plate, crank, rods, pistons, front pulleys.) Atleast to do it correctly.

Give me a few weeks and Ill let you know what the local guy here is charging me.

Cept I need to get my flywheel and clutch kit from Dave at Pass. perf.
Turbo boost libido and passive restraints
And as of yet I haven't heard even a single complaint
I've got the tools of the trade and a fuel injected heart
Efficiency is beautiful, efficiency is art

Reply #2August 03, 2007, 06:12:25 pm

subsonic

• Veteran

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2007, 06:12:25 pm »
Quote from: "Kudagra"

Really depends on the shop. Best to call around. You know when you balance your crank shaft you will need the entire rotating assembly (flywheel, pressure plate, crank, rods, pistons, front pulleys.) Atleast to do it correctly.

Give me a few weeks and Ill let you know what the local guy here is charging me.

Dude, your going with the knife edge :shock: .  I have read here that doing that will increase your shake enjoyment way up the loose teeth level.
2009 Jetta TDI Loyal edition, 6-spd. 16V 2.0CR

1985 VW Golf 5-spd, 4-door, 1.6NA  Bought from orig. owner in Savannah with 42,000 miles.
"Making the jump NA to TD" slow but sure.

1980 VW Rabbit LS 5-spd, 4-door 1.6NA almost 450,000miles  RIP

Reply #3August 03, 2007, 06:54:03 pm

Kudagra

• Veteran

• www.no-coast.com
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2007, 06:54:03 pm »
Quote from: "subsonic"

Dude, your going with the knife edge :shock: .  I have read here that doing that will increase your shake enjoyment way up the loose teeth level.

Personally Im just going to have my stuff balanced. I dont think Im going to see RPMs that warrent the cost. Besides...you dont even gain that much. Im not worried by maybe 1 hp loss.

Reply #4August 03, 2007, 07:35:37 pm

Mark(The Miser)UK

• Veteran

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2007, 07:35:37 pm »

Do you mean it's all bolted together and spun? Nah; I've just visualised a flailing machine :o) You must mean match each piston/ con rod and separately balance the bare crank with the flywheel attached and pulley attached.... I've got some ancient books floating around which gives the details of balancing steam engines in trains. IIRC you cannot balance a reciprocating engine.... Makes sense really thinking about it. No lump on a crank will match the  changing momentum of a  piston. Having said that I feel an invention coming on... What about a flat 4 for instance that had quite thin conrods and so almost opposite each other with large diameter narrow bearings arranged so that opposite pistons fling out at  the same time and fire at the same time effectively 2 parallel syncronised 2 cylinder engines... :roll:
Mark-The-Miser-UK

"There's nothing like driving past a bonfire and then realising; its my car on fire!"

I'm not here to help... I'm here to Pro-Volke"

Be like meeee: drive a Quantum TD
 ...The best work-horse after the cart...

Reply #5August 03, 2007, 09:23:18 pm

Kudagra

• Veteran

• www.no-coast.com
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2007, 09:23:18 pm »
you wouldnt want opposite sides of the flat 4 firing at the exact same time...it would lock up and probably break something.

Yea they balance all the rods/pistons and stuff then they attach bobweights to the crank and spin that and balance it. It looks wicked but its just bobweights spinning and not pistons. I really hope not...Ive spent some money getting those pistons coated.

The crank is balanced with the rotating assembly by first weighing the connecting rods, pistons, wrist pins, rings and locks then constructing bob weights filled with metal shot to mock them. The four sets of bobweights are then placed onto the crank, alternating at 90 degrees.
It is then spun on a dual plane balancer, which measures where and how far out of balance the crank is.

http://www.golenengineservice.com/html/gmhtp_1c.html

If I could get some cheap extrude honing Id get the G60 intake worked over

Reply #6August 03, 2007, 10:12:48 pm

Mark(The Miser)UK

• Veteran

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2007, 10:12:48 pm »
you wouldnt want opposite sides of the flat 4 firing at the exact same time...it would lock up and probably break something.

Yea perhaps you're right... ah well back to the harmonic vibrations :D
Mark-The-Miser-UK

"There's nothing like driving past a bonfire and then realising; its my car on fire!"

I'm not here to help... I'm here to Pro-Volke"

Be like meeee: drive a Quantum TD
 ...The best work-horse after the cart...

Reply #7August 04, 2007, 01:19:57 am

hillfolk'r

• Veteran

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2007, 01:19:57 am »
Quote from: "subsonic"

um,yea
the engine shop i used to work at???
i used to take every word from the race engine builder dude like gospel
he said: itll be hard (read: pretty much impossible)to knife edge  a crank and get it in balance using stock rods+pistons(weight wise)
without using mallory(heavy) metal slugs welded/pressed in  to get it back in spec
Throttle cables ftw

Reply #8August 04, 2007, 07:06:24 pm

Slave2School

• Veteran

« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2007, 07:06:24 pm »
What exactly is knife edging?  pardon my ignorance!

If you guys are looking for insane rods kerma has some listed on tdiclub for 800/set, not sure if they would fit a TD, they are intended for tdi's.  Supposed to take all you can throw at them except perhaps...incompressible fluids.
Waiting for a bigger better diesel to come along.
2002 ford focme wagon

Reply #9August 05, 2007, 04:28:45 pm

clbanman

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Cambridge, Ontario
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2007, 04:28:45 pm »
I personally think you would gain more for the money with a well designed windage tray instead of the knife edging.  As mentioned previously, I don't believe you could do it without heavy metal slugs to replace the weight of the material removed.
Calvin
91 VW Golf 1.6NA 5spd