Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: keeping temps down  (Read 1834 times)

March 04, 2007, 07:40:21 pm

Jet-A

keeping temps down
« on: March 04, 2007, 07:40:21 pm »
Engine research for project, debating over 1.6TD or 1.6NA with turbo. Objective is mpg/engine life and some performance in 65-75 mph range. After researching threads/reading its seems obvious that engine/egt temps are crucial. Hence need for egt gauge. Several questions; just where are the piston squirters located? are they integral to the block? I have several 1.6's that may be candidates for rebuild and if I choose that route does ceramic coating of pistons/valve faces help (keep temps down) that much? I am assuming a PP large downpipe and large exhaust w/turbo and intercooler of some sort. Also any simple but reliable oil coolers that bolt in easily?  Thanks for the help!

why do they call it common sense if its so rare...

Reply #1March 04, 2007, 08:58:07 pm

tylernt

• Veteran

keeping temps down
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2007, 08:58:07 pm »
Oil squirters are part of the block. A good machinist can add them to an engine that didn't come with them from the factory. Have to drill into the oil passages etc. You will need a 36mm oil pump to produce the additional flow, if your engine doesn't have one already.

There is some speculation that the oil squirters are not necessary if you thermal coat the piston tops, but I don't think anyone has actually tried it yet.
'82 Diesel Rabbit, '88 Fox RIP, '88 Jetta (work in progress)

Reply #2March 06, 2007, 07:41:35 pm

Jet-A

keeping temps down
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2007, 07:41:35 pm »
Quote from: tylernt
Oil squirters are part of the block. A good machinist can add them to an engine that didn't come with them from the factory. Have to drill into the oil passages etc. You will need a 36mm oil pump to produce the additional flow, if your engine doesn't have one already.

There is some speculation that the oil squirters are not necessary if you thermal coat the piston tops, but I don't think anyone has actually tried it yet.

Thanks, I'm still debating over the 1.6TD or one of the older 1.6 blocks that I have. It seems that the 1.6TD is stressed for more load. I think thats the answer if I can find a good one at a reasonable cost.
why do they call it common sense if its so rare...

Reply #3March 06, 2007, 08:08:41 pm

RabbitJockey

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    America, DUCK YEAH!!!
keeping temps down
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2007, 08:08:41 pm »
if you're not going all out performance on the engine it will be fine to just slap a turbo on an n/a motor
01 Jetta TDI 100% stock daily
81 Rabbit:TDI-M ported head, Frank06 cam, PD intake, hybrid T3 turbo, Renault intercooler, Syl20 11mm pump, light weight fw, and yellow California Clutch clutch kit

Fixmyvw.com