Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: Gov mod failure  (Read 6280 times)

Reply #30August 04, 2008, 01:50:32 am

burn_your_money

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Bright, On
Gov mod failure
« Reply #30 on: August 04, 2008, 01:50:32 am »
hurray :D
Tyler

Reply #31August 04, 2008, 04:16:22 am

gigaz2

• Veteran

Gov mod failure
« Reply #31 on: August 04, 2008, 04:16:22 am »
that wasn't a very good experiment, you should do only one mod at a time, if it was the timing, you can now swap the 10mm head and fuel on.

I have exactly the same mods as you had but I'm still experimenting.

Reply #32August 04, 2008, 09:45:30 am

zukgod1

• Veteran

Gov mod failure
« Reply #32 on: August 04, 2008, 09:45:30 am »
Quote from: "gigaz2"
that wasn't a very good experiment, you should do only one mod at a time, if it was the timing, you can now swap the 10mm head and fuel on.

I have exactly the same mods as you had but I'm still experimenting.

Actually it was a good experiment.

I knew it was a fuel delivery problem, it wasn't there before I messed with the pump head so timing was out of the question.

I took care of the pump and modded the timing piston while there so I wouldn't have to take the pump off yet again.

So when done it delivers fuel (again) past 3800 and also give me more dynamic timing which it seems to do well.

I don't see me going back to the 10 mm head but ya never know.
dan

99 Golf TDI (now CNG powered) , 82 TD Caddy

Reply #33August 04, 2008, 11:52:12 am

jimfoo

• Veteran

• http://www.66rover.com
Gov mod failure
« Reply #33 on: August 04, 2008, 11:52:12 am »
Hmmm, now I'm wondering if that's what is happening with me, though I changed other stuff as well. I put in a Cummins cam plate which has both a steeper ramp and taller lift. The one from Prothe I was running before was sort of between what I have now and an IDI cam plate. Plus Cummins don't run the RPM that VW's run, so maybe I'm floating as well, even with stronger springs. Something to think about at least....
Jim
1966 Land-Rover 88" with 1.9 1Z which has been transformed to an M-TDI
TFO35 mechanically controlled VNT, IC , and 2.5" exhaust.
Driven daily

Reply #34August 04, 2008, 01:13:07 pm

gigaz2

• Veteran

Gov mod failure
« Reply #34 on: August 04, 2008, 01:13:07 pm »
just had an idea, I just bought a set of Ford injectors, the special thing is that one of them has the magnetic sensor like the n#3 injector on tdi's.

with one of that installed, and a pickup somewhere to sense TDC, I could measure timing (time between TDC and start of injector lift/ RPM= degrees)
and also injection volume (start of injector lift - end of injector lift)

back to the real world...

mine behaves exactly as before the upgrade, same smoke level= same power as before.

so.. if it is cam float, if we swap just the cam back to the 2mm lift one, that problem should be solved right?

when you put the 9mm head back, have you also swapped the camplate back to the 2mm one?

Reply #35August 04, 2008, 02:02:22 pm

zukgod1

• Veteran

Gov mod failure
« Reply #35 on: August 04, 2008, 02:02:22 pm »
Nope I kept the AAZ Cam plate. I used a couple extra shims under the shaft the springs ride on for just about .014mm more tension.

Seems to have fixed my issue. I just went for a quick run to get some lunch and damn near ALL the smoke is gone @ 25 PSI and it's still pulling hard.

I'm going to grab my other fuel pin and make the ramp on it a bit more aggressive at the top so @ 20psi it will deliver a bit more fuel.
Sure is fun to drive again.

Now I've got to address the hard starting issue. Seems ever sens the last turbo destruction/ run away issue I've gained some blow by and it's hard to start. I suspect a ring issue.
dan

99 Golf TDI (now CNG powered) , 82 TD Caddy

S-PAutomotive.com