S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: LF diy rear wheel barings  (Read 6163 times)

Reply #15February 23, 2007, 12:11:58 am

1slowvw

LF diy rear wheel barings
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2007, 12:11:58 am »
Thanks for all the pointers guys, I actualy work on the car in a shop owned by my family who are into the heavy equipment, thanks to them I have access to a press, and a lard assortment of punches, and just about any other tool I need, although somtimes 3 sizes too big.
So pressing the bearings in and out shouldent be a problem.
Thanks for all the tips and keep, you guys rock!
1SlowVW

Reply #16February 24, 2007, 02:35:14 am

fatmobile

• Veteran

• http://www.geocities.com/vwfatmobile/
drums
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2007, 02:35:14 am »
I don't think finger tight on the nut is enough.
 I think the Bentley says to tighten it until the washer behind the nut can't be moved with a screwdriver prying on it.
 I pound out the old races with a punch (there are 3 places for the punch to get behind the race) and use a brass punch to seat them.
 I just did the driver's side drum the other day and tapped on the old race to drive the new race in. It went a little low and got stuck in the bore but not too deep, a couple sideways taps knocked it right back out. Using the old bearing wrapped in cloth sounded like a good idea.
 When it comes time to tighten everything down, I overtighten the nut down good and turn the drum by hand, to make sure everything is seated. Then I back the nut off and tighten until the washer can't be moved with a prying screwdriver.
Tornado red, '91 Golf 4 door,
with a re-ringed, '84 quantum, turbo diesel, MD block