Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: Best year of TDI  (Read 18064 times)

Reply #15February 19, 2007, 11:08:30 am

QuickTD

• Veteran

Best year of TDI
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2007, 11:08:30 am »
What I was saying is that megasquirt in its present configuration cannot run a diesel. If the software were completely recoded and the hardware redesigned for diesel use then it probably could be made to work, but then it wouldn't really be megasquirt, it would be some sort of custom diesel engine controller. :D

It would be far easier to reconfigure megasquirt for the PD or the VE rotary pump TDI's, where some of the tasks are taken care of in hardware. The VE engine would be the easiest, requiring a single PWM output for injected quantity and a single PWM output for timing control. The quantity adjuster feedback is a simple magnetostrictive sensor and timing feedback is available from the needle lift sensor unlike the common rail engine where injected quantity and timing feedback must be sensed by measuring the cycle-by-cycle acceleration profile of the crankshaft.

I also work with industrial controls, I built one-off machinery, custom CNC equipment for the most part. Industrial controls and PLC's typically have processor cycle times far to slow to operate engines. The processors may run a mhz speed but the data is not clocked to the outputs at anywhere near that speed. Output update rates in milliseconds are fairly common. The servo loops of CNC's or motion controls are an exception, but they usually run a dedicated DSP or microcontroller for each axis, or better yet, they close the loop entirely in the hardware. Update rates are measured in microseconds. An engine control for a diesel would require a similar approach, given the number of variables that must be processed and updated within each output cycle. A gasoline engine has no such requirements, momentary delays in fuel mixture would go unnoticed, a diesel responds to a single cycle error with a loud detonation "clank" and very noticable vibration...