S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: 1.6td rescued from certain death  (Read 3872 times)

May 17, 2004, 11:14:25 pm

moosiah

• Junior

1.6td rescued from certain death
« on: May 17, 2004, 11:14:25 pm »
After yrs of looking I finaly found a 1.6td in our local pic'npulll yard..... I spotted it last wk but it being mothers day I thought it best not to show up covered in diesel grime or not at all..... so I had to wait a wk to go back ,, hoping that the metal termites wouldn't wreak it in the mean time..... I would have gone monday morning 7 am ,,,,, but since I was just put on full time at the bigest scenic / lighting / show mngmnt shop in SF my wallet said "lets wait for saturday,,,, ":x:  these engines in the peoples republic of Kalifornia are Very hard to find , in 2 yrs of looking it's the only one I've seen...( at a u pic).  any how it was still there , BUT the termites had been at it , the inj lines were gone ,2 snapt off, the pan off ,the pump in pieces shaft missing, vacpump gone, injectors thrown under the Merc next door . 2 inj pump unions unscrewed and in the dirt by the back whlls  and the turbo tossed under the saab across the way......:cry:........ they stole the stock down pipe, it's the only big part I couldn't find...  I found most all the missing parts except the oil pump shaft, the inj pump throttle arm (any body got a spare?) and a inj pump pipe union check valve seat.    I also got a "ACN " code tranny too ...   the best part of the day was at the check out when I was told that it was  half price day....... $180 bucks total and $35 back  for all my junk parts for a engine core...
By the way,,,,, the Audi 4000 rear drums I swapped on the frankenbunny work great !! didn't even have to change the ebrake cables........ :D

'81 Frankenbunny: part rabbit, sirroco, golf ,caddy cabrio ,jedda and ! ford teimpo! w a little more Audi and soon some Peogeot too!!!!

Reply #1May 19, 2004, 11:59:15 am

DieselsRcool

• Junior

« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2004, 11:59:15 am »
Way to go! 8)

Reply #2May 19, 2004, 12:20:54 pm

cheng

• User+

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2004, 12:20:54 pm »
hey good job, but you got real lucky!

td's are real rare here too and I would say that mom had a higher chance of being there in a week. :wink:

keep up the good fight of rescueing these gems.

ken
80 Rabbit 1.5L
82 Caddy 1.6L
84 Jetta Turbo 1.6L
85 Jetta Turbo, hydraulic

ALL DIESEL ALL THE TIME, BABY!

Reply #3May 19, 2004, 12:21:00 pm

Turbo DS

• Junior

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2004, 12:21:00 pm »
Nice find.  HAHAAH metal termites, nice one  :wink: