Engine Specific Info and Questions > mTDI Mechanical TDI Conversions

mTDI / TDI-M Injection Pump FAQ

<< < (29/40) > >>

vanbcguy:
The governor mod made a dramatic improvement for me.  I noticed the difference right away above 3500 RPM.  I have a bigger cam in mine too so the gov mod is basically required since the combination of cam + turbo means my engine only really starts to come out to play at 2500ish RPM, so a 3500 RPM fuel reduction and a 4300 RPM fuel cutoff is less than ideal.  But with a stock cam and stock turbo this would be less important.

theman53:

--- Quote from: libbydiesel on March 28, 2015, 12:46:52 pm ---
--- Quote from: vanbcguy on March 27, 2015, 11:35:39 pm ---Oh and also worth mentioning, I had a chat with Göran Lindgren (Dieselmeken) about the Rover 300TDI pump that I'm using (0 460 414 099).  He confirmed that it should have no trouble supporting 200+ HP with just the usual minor adjustments (fuel screw / LDA / governor).  Also confirmed the advance system on that pump is adequate for higher RPM use.
--- End quote ---

Thanks for the info.  On a similar note I thought that I would mention the performance mods for the LR pump for high power applications.  There are only three potential changes I would make to the internals of the pump for the extreme build. 

Governor mod:  The LR pump is governed to 4300 or so rpms in stock form.  That means that it starts cutting fuel quite a few rpms before 4300.  While I've been happy without doing the governor mod (I rarely push my TDIs to 4,000 or above) I can see how many high-performance builds would desire the easy power of higher rpms.

Camplate swap:  The LR camplate is fairly mild.  The total max fuel per stroke is determined by (plunger radius^2) x pi x camplate lift.  Increasing the camplate lift is one of the ways to increase potential max fuel.   The LR pump has higher fueling potential than the 10mm eTDI pumps even with the mildish camplate, but a swap to a 4BTA camplate would give a significant increase to the max fuel potential.  Bear in mind that any modification that increasing the max fuel potential will shorten the injection event for smaller quantities of fuel making the engine more clattery and so, replacing the camplate with a higher lift one may not be desirable unless that added max fuel potential will be utilized.

Plunger swap:  For the extreme build, a swap to a 12mm plunger/head assembly may be desired.  10mm plunger has an area of 78.5mm^2.  11mm plunger has an area of 95mm^2.  12mm plunger has an area of 113mm^2.  As you can see there is a greater difference in fueling from a swap from 11mm to 12mm than there is from a swap from 10mm to 11mm.  Bear in mind that in the same way that a higher lift camplate will shorten the injection event, so will a plunger diameter increase.  You should also NOT increase the plunger size to 12mm without increasing the injector nozzles to be larger than stock.

--- End quote ---

From a lot of what I have read you want a DE143 camplate for the 11mm. I don't know that is true but from all the reading I have done for performance that is what I read was the best for fueling. Does anyone know if that is true or is another even better?

vanbcguy:
Remember it's not just about cramming as much fuel as possible, it's also about having an engine that's decent to live with. At the moment I have no complaints about the stock Rover stuff and I'm pretty sure I've got one of the faster AHUs out there...

theman53:
The DE 143 is off of the alh auto trans, so I dont' think it would be too bad, I have ridden in a couple different rover pumped and they seemed fine too.

libbydiesel:
I have not pulled apart an auto trans ALH pump.  Considering the auto trans pump has an 11mm plunger and the displacement is 1.9L on an engine that stock develops 25% less power than the stock LR 300TDI, I would expect the camplate from the ALH auto pump to be milder than the one from the Rover pump.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version