S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: rebirth of the the GTD  (Read 7105 times)

Reply #15December 05, 2006, 02:58:04 am

Benjamin

• Veteran

rebirth of the the GTD
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2006, 02:58:04 am »
fuslit tnx  :wink:

Greetz, Benjamin
SMOG alert, engine running again!
Must make +250hp

Reply #16December 05, 2006, 09:43:27 am

RabbitGTDguy

• Veteran

rebirth of the the GTD
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2006, 09:43:27 am »
you've got your measurements right there... the M12 threads to the block, the other is over course the end that ties the head down. Can't go wrong with Raceware's Todd :) good stuff...

glad to see pics of the shell up as well, it'll be interesting to see how the build was and my mTDI thanks you for relieving the GTD from outside status and possibly a worse storage condition and making a nice warm place in the garage for the mTDI :) As a matter of fact...it wanted to say hi...

Inside, awaiting new ebrake cables so I can get it inspected and put it away for winter to begin installation of more upgrades and new goodies...maybe even paint this year if its in the budget...

Either way, the GTD has a great new home and a great potential. Glad you could use her !

Joe
1979 Rabbit mTDI crazy $*(\%& bunny...
1972 VW Westfalia
2009 VW Tiguan SE 2.0T (Wife's car)
2001 Audi TT 225 Quattro Roadster (something newer :) )

Reply #17December 10, 2006, 11:14:50 am

fuslit

• Junior

rebirth of the the GTD
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2006, 11:14:50 am »
Just a little update, I've been working my side business quite a bit so I haven't gotten much done on the build and with Christmas coming I've been spending my side time working on making some nice cutting boards up for people on my list

I Almost have enough money to get the block hot tanked so things are slowly moving along.

On the build side of things, I just scored a nice deal on some NOS GTD nozzles on Ebay. For $64.95 shipped not to shabby!

Hope everyone's holidays are going well :)

-Todd
'81 rabbit 4dr 1.6TD [project]
'98 jetta tdi [daily]

Reply #18December 15, 2006, 06:00:05 am

HarryMann

• Junior

rebirth of the the GTD
« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2006, 06:00:05 am »
Also as a side note I would like to add, Fog lights are for fog, not the thruway when it's clear with no fog/rain/snow. if you have fog lights and you drive with them on in the middle of traffic on the thruway your an idiot. When your behind someone, Their bright as hell and when traffic flows at 0-5 miles an hour annoying as hell to the person in front.

Same problem here, but there was  bit of a campaign a couple of years ago to stop idiots using them unless the fog is REALLY bad, and it has to be. In fact i think most rear lights, and these new blue HIDS are obsceene today, esepcially those LED strip brake light repeaters, stop you seeing aything ahead anymore - overkill IMHO

BTW Seasons' Greetings VWGTD folks, have learnt a lot this year from you all..

Reply #19December 19, 2006, 12:25:19 am

Sparkman

rebirth of the the GTD
« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2006, 12:25:19 am »
I just thought I'd post to say hi and nice work.

I'm practically your neighbor, other side of the lake in Lansing.  I hope to pull the engine out of my '92 ECO soon.  It needs some TLC.

I'd love to check out your work if you ever have the time and are in the area.  If you ever need a hand give me a shout.
92 ECO

Reply #20December 28, 2006, 07:31:44 pm

fuslit

• Junior

rebirth of the the GTD
« Reply #20 on: December 28, 2006, 07:31:44 pm »
Sparkman: Excellent, nice to know that I'm not the only one out here working on vw's :D But you give me to much credit, this is my first build, so I'm learning as I go :shock:

I picked up a valve spring compressor set last night on ebay for a pretty decent price. I'm hoping that it will allow me to disassemble the heads I currently own so I can clean them and figure out if any of them are good. I am planning on going with a 1.9td head for the project and have seen prices on a couple, but I don't have the cash at the moment to swing one. So I figured start with ones you have and see how shot they are. (plus I'll get some experience ripping them apart AND get to buy a new tool!)

Assenmacher Specialty Tools PN# VW 541 (crappy ebay pic)

That's pretty much it for this year, on a side note: I managed to find a gastank from my Caddy on ebay as well. I got a pretty good steal I think $65 shipped for one that didn't leak.

It's in pretty decent shape I plan on doing a por15 treatment to it and you can check out the GTD in the background. (kinda)

Speaking of the Caddy *grin* I pulled it inside before the holidays to work on it if I got the urge and time ...  (mostly time)
'98 jetta tdi [daily]

Reply #21January 20, 2007, 11:38:41 am

fuslit

• Junior

rebirth of the the GTD
« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2007, 11:38:41 am »
So I needed to get some suspension for this beast, since the stuff that's on it isn't mine. I found a pretty decent (I think) deal on some
bilstien sport struts w/some kind of coil sleeves big drop 3.5" $225
($245 shipped, not to shabby)

The shocks are used, and the coilsleeves are new. They guy said that they dropped the car 3.5" which may be a tad more then I want to drop it. But I've read a bit on the coil sleeve setups and I think this could fit the bill for me at least to get it driving and the bugs worked out. RabbitGTDGuy (aka Joe) has some experience with a coilsleeve setup that he was pretty happy with and is gonna help me get them set up. I figure I should have a semi-decent ride from them (after some tweaking)

Whelp that's the update kids

-Todd
'98 jetta tdi [daily]

S-PAutomotive.com