Author Topic: An idea for more high-RPM power  (Read 23002 times)

Reply #15November 11, 2004, 09:48:34 pm

VWRacer

• Veteran

An idea for more high-RPM power
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2004, 09:48:34 pm »
Great post, Jake! One thing though...

This explains the existence of pre chambers in diesels, and also of the significance of the pilot injection feature (which is what VW pioneered, with Bosch's help, for their TDI motors.)

I read somewhere (TDI Forum?) that the pilot injection's function is to raise the temperature and turbulence so as to achieve more complete fuel burning during the main injection phase, and hence raise their overall efficiency.
Stan
C-Sports Racer

Reply #16November 12, 2004, 03:27:18 pm

fspGTD

• Veteran

• http://home.comcast.net/~vwgtd
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2004, 03:27:18 pm »
I don't know if that's accurate... it doesn't jibe with what I remember reading in the TDI SAE papers.  (I don't recall anything about pilot injection increasing efficiency, but it did cause a more gradual pressure rise during combustion.  By starting a "little fire" burning early in the combustion chamber before the main injection happens, the ignition delay time main fuel injection is reduced (it atomizes and begins burning quicker), and this reduces the otherwise sharp pressure rise and noise of the burning of the main injection, so pilot injection thereby "tames" the more efficient DI combustion process enough to make it suitable for use in passenger cars.)

I'll dig up that SAE paper (based on development of VW's first TDI engine...) and see what it says.
Jake Russell
'81 VW Rabbit GTD Autocrosser 1.6lTD, SCCA FSP Class
Dieselicious Turbocharger Upgrade/Rebuild Kits

Reply #17November 12, 2004, 04:12:19 pm

VWRacer

• Veteran

« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2004, 04:12:19 pm »
Jake, please do let us know what comes out of the SAE paper. As I said, I can't even recall where I read that, much less how accurate it might be...  :wink:
Stan
C-Sports Racer

Reply #18December 16, 2005, 08:46:18 pm

fspGTD

• Veteran

« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2005, 08:46:18 pm »
Just wanted to add to this topic that while I was browing the grant piston & rings web site, I stumbled across their "piston designs" page,
http://www.grantpistonrings.com/products/pistons/piston_styles.htm
which had this picture of various piston designs:

Notice at right, third up from the bottom is the piston that looks identical to the toyota patent, I'll bet it's from some toyota diesel engine but I'm curious to learn anything more about it.  Maybe someone up here who has a toyota diesel could look underneath their head sometime and see if this is the kind of piston it has.  (Feel free to take some detailed pictures and measurements. 8) )  And IDI VW Diesel piston is pictured by the way at left in the bottom row.
Jake Russell

Reply #19December 17, 2005, 05:11:56 am

« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2005, 05:11:56 am »
Quote from: "fspGTD"
 Maybe someone up here who has a toyota diesel could look underneath their head sometime and see if this is the kind of piston it has.  (Feel free to take some detailed pictures and measurements. 8) )  And IDI VW Diesel piston is pictured by the way at left in the bottom row.

I have a couple sets of 86-88 "2LT" (2.4L turbo IDI inline-4) pistons out, I will have a look at them and take some pictures if I have a chance.

Reply #20December 17, 2005, 01:21:13 pm

« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2005, 01:21:13 pm »
here's a picture with some rough measurments.
The piston top is just like described in the patent paper.

'85-90 2LT engine stock specs :
63kW / 86hp @ 4000rpm
139lbs.ft /188Nm @ 2400rpm
92mm bore x 92mm stroke
20:1 or 21:1 CR
8psi max. boost
4000rpm max. governed speed
OHC with rocker lifters

Reply #21December 17, 2005, 01:45:24 pm

malone

• Administrator
  • Veteran

• Malone Tuning Ltd.
« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2005, 01:45:24 pm »
Nice!! Thanks for your contribution, 2446
http://www.tunezilla.com
93 Eurovan AHU TDI
96 Golf 1.9L ASV TDI - I bought it back!
97 Golf Variant Syncro 1.9L 1Z TDI - sold and missed
11 Golf 2.0L CJAA TDI DSG - Stage 4
14 Golf Wagon 2.0L CJAA TDI DSG - Sold
17 BMW 328d wagon - Sold
09 BMW 335d 3.0L

Reply #22December 17, 2005, 02:35:22 pm

fspGTD

• Veteran

« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2005, 02:35:22 pm »
Wow - thanks for the info, 2446!  It's amazing the kinds of resources that can come out of the woodwork on this board.  :D

It seems like the 92mm toyota diesel bore is too big to consider swapping it into a VW Diesel block (considering VW Diesel pistons are usually under 80mm).  But it could be feasible to machine this pattern into a VW piston top.  Your measurments would prove very useful for anyone trying this.
Jake Russell

Reply #23December 17, 2005, 04:20:46 pm

v8volvo

• Junior

• http://www.cardomain.com/profile/v8volvo
« Reply #23 on: December 17, 2005, 04:20:46 pm »
FASCINATING thread! I'm starting to think I should drop out of college (engineering) and just spend all my time reading posts on this board--I swear I learn more per minute here than I ever could in any of my classes. Amazing how we go from some patent paper that Jake dug up describing a long-forgotten Toyota engineer's brainchild design, to a photo of an actual Toyota diesel piston that uses the very same principle!

Interesting that, despite the piston cut, the Toyota diesel is a pretty low-revver--it's capped at 4000 rpm. However, it is a substantially larger engine; maybe with the right mods, that method could be used to great advantage in a VW diesel. I have a nice 80,000-mile 1.6NA short block sitting on my bedroom floor at home waiting for me to do something with it--who wants to give it a try? (Although, without a turbo, it might prove pointless, as dropping compression down like that without filling it with extra boost won't help anything.)

Also interesting points about the TDI pilot injection. Are you sure they used that on the older rotary-pump TDIs, though? I know the injectors don't have any electronic controls on them, and the pump, outside of its electronic control and higher pressures, works basically the same as our old IDI pumps, as far as I am aware. I wonder how they would have accomplished the pilot injection at all, much less timed it precisely. I thought they didn't use pilot injection until the advent of PD and common rail. However, if they did, that does help explain why it is so difficult to make a mechanical TDI work well--I'm sure the people who do it do without the pilot injection, which, if VW does use it on the older motors, must be an important part of their functionality.

Reply #24December 17, 2005, 04:46:56 pm

« Reply #24 on: December 17, 2005, 04:46:56 pm »
Quote from: "v8volvo"

Interesting that, despite the piston cut, the Toyota diesel is a pretty low-revver--it's capped at 4000 rpm. However, it is a substantially larger engine; maybe with the right mods, that method could be used to great advantage in a VW diesel.

Actually I'm convinced this engine as quite some revving potential. I pushed the accelerator linkage stop a good bit on my all stock NA 2.4, (VE style pump) and it pulls strong almost all the way to 4800 now. The smoke levels at WOT are consitently low all the way (fuel is adjusted at the max. "little grey smoke" level), so I'm assuming the combustion quality at higher revs. is fair.

Reply #25December 17, 2005, 04:51:05 pm

« Reply #25 on: December 17, 2005, 04:51:05 pm »
Quote from: "malone"
Nice!! Thanks for your contribution, 2446

Taking a photo and a couple measurements was the least I could do, given how much I've learnt reading this board so far  :wink:

denis

Reply #26December 18, 2005, 03:52:51 am

VWRacer

• Veteran

« Reply #26 on: December 18, 2005, 03:52:51 am »
Let me add my thanks and welcome to the forum, Denis!

I assume that the numbers you added to the photo of the piston top represent the depth of the cut, right? Can you add the width and length, as well?

Thanks!  :D
Stan
C-Sports Racer

Reply #27December 18, 2005, 09:27:35 am

steve

• Junior

« Reply #27 on: December 18, 2005, 09:27:35 am »
Interesting you mention the pilot injection.  A friend of mine works at www.sturmanindustries.com and they R&D injectors (and more) that are a competitor to the common rail and achieve multiple pilot injection events.  (I think the common rail does too).  Their injectors are installed on the new ford powerstroke (2004 and on, I think).

And oh yea, v8volvo, stay in school because to work at a place like Sturman you're gonna need it!!!!!!  If I knew about a place like that when I was in school I would have made it my goal to work there.  It's VERY cool.  Check out their web site which is just the tip of the iceberg.  I'm an aircraft engineer at Boeing, and Sturman is a million times more interesting and exciting than my job here.

My novice understanding of the benefits of the pilot injection is that it decreases noise and emissions.  Not sure about efficiency.  The Sturman web site might mention something.  I haven't read it recently...

I used to work about 2 miles from Sturman Industries up in the mountains in Woodland Park, CO.  Man I miss that...
Take me back to Colorado...........  84 Quantum 1.6L TD 470K miles, 2003 Jetta TDI 95K

Reply #28December 19, 2005, 06:31:45 am

« Reply #28 on: December 19, 2005, 06:31:45 am »
Quote from: "VWRacer"
Can you add the width and length, as well?

The first cut starts at 16mm wide and finishes at 15mm, and is approx. 24mm long. The second cut starts goes from 14 to 13mm wide, is 21mm long.
The relative positions you can measure on the picture with the provided scale ;)

The beginning part of the first cut curves somewhat roundly just like in fig. 6 in the patent document.

Reply #29February 13, 2006, 05:31:57 am

16V-Sauger

« Reply #29 on: February 13, 2006, 05:31:57 am »
Quote from: "2446"
Quote from: "VWRacer"
Can you add the width and length, as well?

The first cut starts at 16mm wide and finishes at 15mm, and is approx. 24mm long. The second cut starts goes from 14 to 13mm wide, is 21mm long.
The relative positions you can measure on the picture with the provided scale ;)

The beginning part of the first cut curves somewhat roundly just like in fig. 6 in the patent document.

are these cuts like radiuses? i hope to get my 81mm pistons this week. because they are totally flat i have to mill these mickey mouse holes into the top and thats the time when i could do some aditional grinding  :D