Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: Dasher upgrade to 5spd  (Read 3617 times)

December 20, 2006, 11:00:46 pm

lacolocho

• Junior

Dasher upgrade to 5spd
« on: December 20, 2006, 11:00:46 pm »
I have an '82 Diesel Dasher with the standard 4-speed manual transmission. I want to put a 5-speed in it.
I know they made the '84 with a 5 speed, but I doubt I'll be able to track one of those transmissions down.
Is the 5-speed tranny from a diesel Rabbit, Golf or Jetta a direct bolt-in?
If not, how difficult is it to put one in (how many extra hours of work)?

Reply #1December 21, 2006, 06:49:28 pm

lacolocho

• Junior

yep
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2006, 06:49:28 pm »
that's what i thought

Any idea what years/models would be the easiest bolt-ins, and perhaps the easiest to find?

Reply #2December 24, 2006, 02:50:43 pm

Turbinepowered

• Veteran

Dasher upgrade to 5spd
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2006, 02:50:43 pm »
I have a five speed transmission from an Audi I'd love to just give you, but there's one problem...

It's a diesel transmission, but it's from a 5-cylinder diesel so the bolt patterns don't match up. I'd still be willing to give it to you, no charge beyond shipping costs (Unless you're close enough to pick it up? I dunno, no location), but it would require an adapter plate for your engine.

Reply #3December 25, 2006, 01:06:13 am

lacolocho

• Junior

thanks
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2006, 01:06:13 am »
Thanks for the offer!
I'm in Portland, OR, but will be heading to New Orleans and then Miami at the end of January, so I might be interested in picking it up.

Can you tell me more about the adapter plate I would need? (I've never done a tranny swap like this before)

Do you have all the other parts I would need to convert it?(shifter, etc?)

Reply #4December 25, 2006, 02:04:18 am

Turbinepowered

• Veteran

Dasher upgrade to 5spd
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2006, 02:04:18 am »
The adapter plate would just need to have the 4-cylinder bolt pattern on one side and the 5-cylinder on the other; similar to what companies out there make to put a 1.6 diesel in, say, a Samurai or an inline four into an aircooled VW. It bolts onto the engine, then the plate and engine assembly is bolted onto the transmission as normal.

Unfortunately, I don't have any of the other parts. The transmission came into my possession bolted up to a 5-cylinder diesel of Audi branding and early Eighties vintage; the engine is presently sitting on a stand in the garage, waiting for me to figure out what to do with it too (Since I've now decided that the Syncro wagon I was going to put it in is getting a V6 TDI-M engine... :D )

[edit] I'll take a look tomorrow or Tuesday to see which trans code it is. One of them has a really crummy final drive (4.78!  :shock: ), so let's make sure this one isn't it...

Reply #5December 25, 2006, 01:26:54 pm

lacolocho

• Junior

hmmm
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2006, 01:26:54 pm »
Maybe you should tell me more about the engine and I'll think about just getting both from you?
I barely know anything about those Audi diesel engines, I've only seen or or two of them around.
I assume it's be a lot more power than my little 1.6L

Any clue how many mpg I could expect putting it in a dasher?
How hard would it be to install it?
What shape is the engine in? Any clue of the miles on it?

Reply #6December 25, 2006, 04:25:02 pm

Turbinepowered

• Veteran

Re: hmmm
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2006, 04:25:02 pm »
Quote from: "lacolocho"
Maybe you should tell me more about the engine and I'll think about just getting both from you?
I barely know anything about those Audi diesel engines, I've only seen or or two of them around.
I assume it's be a lot more power than my little 1.6L

Any clue how many mpg I could expect putting it in a dasher?
How hard would it be to install it?
What shape is the engine in? Any clue of the miles on it?

If you have a 1.6TD, you're producing more power than the 2.0D that's on the stand. It produces 67hp @ 4800 RPM; not sure what the peak torque is, it's not in the Bentley just horsepower. Now, if you turbo'd this engine to stock settings, it would produce 87hp @ 4500 rpm, which would be better than the 1.6TD by a decent bit.

The engine seems to be in pretty reasonable condition; I haven't pulled the head to make certain the the cylinders are in good shape or run a compression test; I was planning on having it drilled and tapped for piston jets and the pistons notched and rebalanced and reringing it before it went into service. Basically, I was going to get it "freshly rebuilt" before putting it into service as a turbo'd CN block Audi engine. I hear that gasser manifolds from the turbo CIS 5-cylinder Audi and VW engines in the eighties will fit very nicely, and it shares a good many replaceable internal parts with the 1.6D and TD (Pistons, rods, bearings, valves, valve springs, injectors, nozzles, that sort of thing).

From transmission mating surface to the very front of the three-belt pulley (To run power steering, alternator and AC compressor I believe) is a distance of 23.5"; width and vertical height I believe are the same as the 1.6 engine. The front timing belt just drives the camshaft and the water pump; the injection pump and vacuum pump (I think it's the vac pump) are driven off a sprocket and pulley on the backside of the camshaft by a pair of belts (Toothed and toothed V belt respectively). I have one of the timing belts, I believe it's the front one, along with a new water pump, new glow plugs, and a new glow plug relay. Also a set of used but good condition diesel engine mounts.

I don't believe engine mount brackets are located at the same points on the block, but I could be mistaken as I do not have a 1.6 to compare against. To do this as a complete swap would probably require fabrication of new mounts, but less guesswork as to whether or not gear ratios are right for the new combination or the shafts in the bellhousing line up precisely right.

If you still want it, feel free to PM me and we'll talk price for the engine: either way the transmission will be free for the taking if you want it.

Reply #7December 26, 2006, 01:35:32 pm

lacolocho

• Junior

« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2006, 01:35:32 pm »
mine's an IDI, not a turbo.
I'm going to think about it, but I think it's a bit more than I can undertake. I'll look around and let you know