Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: 1.6td sensors vs 1.6 n/a sensors (coolant,oil press.etc...)  (Read 8116 times)

May 16, 2004, 12:40:26 pm

n_tensetuning

• User+

hey guys,
i dropped in a 1.6td into my 81 vw caddy/pickup. I didn't bother switching sensors from the original 1.6 diesel motor. Is there any difference?
The original 1.6 diesel had 2 coolant temp sensors on the side coolant flange on the head. And, the oil pressure switch was on the side of the head as well.
On the 1.6td, one coolant switch is still on the same side coolant flange on the head, but the other is on the front coolant flange.
What i did was i just made the sensor wire longer to reach the front coolant flange's temp sensor.
Does anyone know on the original 1.6 diesel, what the 3 colors of the sensors are? I have a green, a black/red, and a gray/white. I tried swapping them around and noticed that if i swapped them around, the glow plug light would not light up or work??
right now, i have the oil pressure light switch correct... and i have the coolant temp switch correct on the side coolant flange

I noticed that on a cold start now, the glow plug light turns on and off quickly, and the car runs better too, the temperature also seems to have gone down

all this because of crossed sensor wires????  i guess the glow plug system really needs to have its own coolant temp sensor working??

sorry for the lengthy post
david

81 vw caddy 1.6td

Reply #1October 06, 2022, 10:17:13 am

SACHSF1

Re: 1.6td sensors vs 1.6 n/a sensors (coolant,oil press.etc...)
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2022, 10:17:13 am »
Hi there!

I'm a happy owner of a Golf mk2 1.6TD (1989) and I having the same trouble with the coolant temperature sensors.
What sensors did you installed?
I have two 2-pin temperature sensors (they look the same for me), and I'm having my glow plugs warning light flashing and the gauge needle is doesn't move.
So which sensors do I buy and which plug do I fit in?

Thank you very much!

Reply #2October 07, 2022, 12:22:12 am

fatmobile

• Veteran

• http://www.geocities.com/vwfatmobile/
Re: 1.6td sensors vs 1.6 n/a sensors (coolant,oil press.etc...)
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2022, 12:22:12 am »
 If it's a 2-blade sensor, it's probably on the front coolant flange and is used for the AC cutoff when temps are high.

It should be a T-shaped sensor for both the temp gauge and glow plug temp sensors.

I believe the flashing glow plug light might be related to the undercar water separator.
Tornado red, '91 Golf 4 door,
with a re-ringed, '84 quantum, turbo diesel, MD block

S-PAutomotive.com