Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: rear wheel barings  (Read 4108 times)

December 07, 2006, 07:29:14 pm

1slowvw

rear wheel barings
« on: December 07, 2006, 07:29:14 pm »
Hey guys, went to tighten the lugs on my rear passenger side wheel the other day and noticed that when doing so my wheel would move back and forth. I take it this means my rear wheel baring is shot. I was just wondering if there was anything else that could be causing this, and what is involved in replacing a rear wheel baring.
I replaces one of my font ones last week and it was nothing but trouble.
Anyway I am sure one of you guys can help me out, I know I ask a lot of questions but its the only way for us young guys to ever hope to catch up to you diesel-heads.
1SlowVW

Reply #1December 07, 2006, 07:51:37 pm

burn_your_money

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Bright, On
rear wheel barings
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2006, 07:51:37 pm »
I remeber reading about changing the rear bearings a few days ago.. it seemed like a pretty simple job...
And yes, if the wheel wobbles then its the bearing
Tyler

Reply #2December 07, 2006, 08:02:28 pm

Doug

rear wheel barings
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2006, 08:02:28 pm »
Firstly pull the bearing cap. The bearings are tapered which means that you can take up the clearance by tightening the nut. Remember to replace the cotter key. Tighten lightly then back off the nut a quarter turn or so to allow for the bearing to be at the correct operating clearance internally when it warms from use. Also remember that if it is worn out that you will need to replace inner and outer races (cups and cones) inside the spindle and outside the spindle, as well as the grease seal on the outside of the inside bearing. Usually it is the inside bearing that fails as that is where moisture breaches the seal and few bother to clean and grease it regularly.

Reply #3December 08, 2006, 01:48:35 am

LeeG

• Veteran

rear wheel barings
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2006, 01:48:35 am »
Usually its the outer bearing that goes as it is smaller and spins faster.  Unless you have been submerging things.

If it rumbles at all when you spin it, it is junk.

They are easy to replace, you just have to drive out the outer bearing races from the inside of the bub with a long punch, then drive in the new ones.  

new bearings and dust seals, a handful of grease and about 10 minutes a side.

Your brakes on that side might be toast now though.
'97 Passat TDI

S-PAutomotive.com