Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: Rebuilding my turbo. What next?  (Read 4300 times)

May 15, 2004, 11:41:41 pm

DieselsRcool

• Junior

Rebuilding my turbo. What next?
« on: May 15, 2004, 11:41:41 pm »
OK, I got the compressor wheel off my Garrett but how do I get the exh. turbine wheel off? what looks like the nut has been ground along whith the wheel for balancing. I tried using an impact gun but I'm afraid to use too much force because the wheel is hard to hold and I don't want to damage it. I'm also assuming the c-clips under the wheels let me remove the bearings. Is that it? Just R&R the parts? What about balance after assy?

I know it can't be very difficult once one has done it.

Thanks for your help!

Reply #1May 16, 2004, 12:23:40 am

QuickTD

• Veteran

« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2004, 12:23:40 am »
The exhaust turbine is an integral part of the shaft, it cannot be removed. The hex is provided on the turbine so you can hold the shaft while tightening the compressor wheel nut. The shaft should slide out toward the exhaust side once the compressor wheel has been removed. Seized or coked bearings can make this difficult but be careful, the shaft is easily damaged. It's been a while since I've had a turbo apart but I believe once the shaft is out, the turbine heat sheild and the compressor backing plate are removed the thrust washer, the circlips and the bearings can all be removed quite easily.

Balancing is not a must IF the turbo was balanced as seperate components. Most older turbo's are balanced prior to assembly. These turbo's will have material ground off of the both the turbine and the compressor wheels and nothing ground off the compressor nut.

Newer turbo's tend to be balanced after assembly, this balance is lost when the turbo is disassembled. You can tell if a turbo is integrally balanced by looking at the compressor nut. If it shows signs of being ground on one side for balancing, chances are the turbo was balanced after assembly and will need to be rebalanced.

Reply #2May 16, 2004, 09:21:20 am

DieselsRcool

• Junior

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2004, 09:21:20 am »
Wow! Great info QuickTD, thanks. That answers all my questions. I'm glad I asked before reaching for a bigger hammer.  :)

Reply #3May 16, 2004, 10:38:34 am

DieselsRcool

• Junior

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2004, 10:38:34 am »
Hey! That was easy. Just some light tapping with a rewhide mallet and out she came. Amazing what a little knowledge will do. Now I need to find some really small tips for my snap-ring pliers, replace the bearings and back she goes.  :D

Thanks again!

Fixmyvw.com