Author Topic: GT2559v on VW 2383  (Read 2365 times)

December 16, 2006, 12:06:26 am

745 turbogreasel

GT2559v on VW 2383
« on: December 16, 2006, 12:06:26 am »
So as not to clog Benjamins nice thread with baseless speculation, I have created this thread.
If Santa thinks I've been good, I might have an appropriate amount of monies to waste on making my car blow itself up faster....
Volvo 740 wagon, TD engine, Raceware headstuds, and redone top end
Displacement is 2.5 liters, and it revs to 5200RPM
With an MBC on the stock T3, I get 1 bar just under 3000 RPM vs. 11PSI@3500 under wastegate control.
I beleive the pump is 10MM, and nozles are the best of the 26 or so I have in my posetion.

So, what do you tink I'm looking at?
What issues do I face?
How much do I stand to gain?
I'm confident I can fabricate the controler.  I have tools, skills, and another car to drive.

Please post your thoughts, feelings, and experiences.

Reply #1December 16, 2006, 02:56:32 am

rabbid79

• Veteran

GT2559v on VW 2383
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2006, 02:56:32 am »
Is that the "VNT-20"?  If so, it would seem that that would be the perfect turbo for your engine.  The TDI it probably came off of is about the same displacement as yours.  If the 1.6's can get 150 HP, you should easily see 200, and from what I understand, that's right about the sweet spot for that turbo.  The other nice thing about it is the way the flange turns out and away on the compressor housing.  It's aimed right toward the grill where you can put an intercooler.  I've also looked at the difference between the TD and NA intake manifolds.  Correct me if I'm wrong, but the air on the TD intake comes in through a hole on the bottom between #2 and #3.  It looks like the NA intake manifold comes straight in from the front end, and would be better suited from plumbing an intercooler.

I just bought a VNT-20 off of UK ebay.  I don't know exactly what I'm going to do with it yet.  If I had enough money I'd do exactly what you're doing.  I'd build a killer 6-cyl TD, and put that turbo on it.  But for now I guess I'll just have to put it on my 5-cyl. TD.  As far as VNT-boost controllers, I've built one for my VNT-17.  It works Ok, but definately needs some tuning.  I'd be happy to get into details if you'd like.
'15 WRX
Parts for 2.0 TD build - Now looking for suitable car to put it in.

Reply #2December 16, 2006, 07:32:25 am

Benjamin

• Veteran

GT2559v on VW 2383
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2006, 07:32:25 am »
the gt2559v is much bigger than the gt2052v (wich we call on vnt20 on this site)
garrett named the first Variable Nozzle Turbine turbo's VNTxx, i think when the GT series camed up, they started to vall the GTxx(yy)v, the 'v' stands for VNT...

the gt2559v on the renault, saab, opel, isuzi is the same turbo, becouse they use the same engine wich is made by GM (i thought).

My GT2559v comes on my 1.9td, i'm putting it on a fiat engine, but its basicly the same as the vw.
I think i need a lot of diesel with high EGT's to spool this thing up.
its a very big turbo wich can supply 300hp (with the right efficiency!!!!!!!)
anyway, i dont know how good it gonna spool up  :cry:

the turbine (inlet) is A/R 0,64, compressor (outlet) A/R 0,61

@745 turbogreasel: for a 2.5 i think it will be no problem to spool this thing up  :wink:

for a 1.9 i think a gt22v is the best choice for a daily car with a lot power...

the futere will say how fast the gt2559v will spool on my 1.9...

about issues, i post later an issue when i got some pics... about the oil supply...

Greetz, Benjamin
SMOG alert, engine running again!
Must make +250hp