Author Topic: '97 TD AAZ - Weird stumble. Any ideas?  (Read 5618 times)

Reply #15October 31, 2006, 01:24:20 am

iggi

• User+

'97 TD AAZ - Weird stumble. Any ideas?
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2006, 01:24:20 am »
Well..  the jetta and I are back home.
On Sunday I stripped off the belt cover/etc and gave the belt/crank pulley etc a good inspection.  The belt is a bit abused but decently tight.  No wobble or looseness detected on the crank pulley.

So..  I drove it the 750K home.  Mostly at 80-85 kph which made it a long drive but I felt confident that if I babied it there wouldn't be a problem.
I added some ATF to the tank before I headed home and about 3/4's of the way home it was running noticeable smoother.  

My new belt, crank bolt, etc should be here in a couple days and then it's all heading off to my mechanic.  It'll be interesting to see what he say's once it's apart.
'97 Jetta GL TD
'87 Vanagon Westy

Reply #16October 31, 2006, 10:06:35 am

QuickTD

• Veteran

« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2006, 10:06:35 am »
Everything I have ever read indicates that once the pulley is replaced with another AAZ one, it fails in short order even if there wasn't a problem previously. They all fail eventually

Mostly true, but there are exceptions. If the pulley has never come loose in the past and there is no play in the keyway, a new pulley and bolt can be installed along with other improvements (one way alternator pulley, new harmonic balancer) and it will survive. I have fixed several of these engines but my own remains stock with 308000km on it.

That said, if the crank shows any wear once its apart I would highly recommend the TDI pulley fix. It'll seem pretty cheap later when you have to replace the head...

Reply #17October 31, 2006, 10:24:16 am

iggi

• User+

« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2006, 10:24:16 am »
Quote from: QuickTD

That said, if the crank shows any wear once its apart I would highly recommend the TDI pulley fix. It'll seem pretty cheap later when you have to replace the head...

Yup.
It all depends on how it looks once it's all apart. Hopefully the crank is good.
'97 Jetta GL TD
'87 Vanagon Westy

Fixmyvw.com