Author Topic: golf TD but has a TDI block and head help???  (Read 3284 times)

September 13, 2006, 12:26:25 pm

cyclops

golf TD but has a TDI block and head help???
« on: September 13, 2006, 12:26:25 pm »
hi all great forum, im new here so be gentle. hehe
right i have purchased a 1992 mk3 golf td which had broken mounting plate for the pump so iut was rattling away when started, i replaced the mounting and the engine ran however the performance was very flat.  it had some loud tapping from the head, so i stripped the head of.

during the purchasing of parts i have found the at some point the engine has been changed - a tdi block and cylinder head has been fitted. ( 1Z )

where as it should of had the AAZ engine fitted.

now from what i have read ( if im right ) the compression ratio's are different ( 23-1 td and 19 - 1 tdi ) also the fuel pressure is higher on the tdi.

at the moment im having the the head skimmed and the valves recut and a de-coke. ill let you know if this makes a difference.

what i need to know is other than getting the correct td engine to put back in is there anything i can do to get the performance back??? should i fit bigger nozzles on the injectors which are the push in type. also as its running on what i assume is the original td injector pump am i ever going to get any ommph back in it.

all help appreciated.
rgds

Reply #1September 13, 2006, 02:05:20 pm

935racer

« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2006, 02:05:20 pm »
Try and post up some pictures of your engine bay and parts and we will try and help you, if you have the stock AAZ pump you will definately be lacking some power, Giles can rebuild your pump and give it some modifications which will make it very fast, but this will cost some big coin.

Reply #2September 13, 2006, 10:09:22 pm

MacGyver

• Junior

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2006, 10:09:22 pm »
Put your location in your profile so the appropriate local people can help you.
Here in Canada (forum based in QC) the 92 golf is a MkII model and cane originally equipped with a 1.6L diesel. MkIII and 1.9L started in '93.

Reply #3September 13, 2006, 10:32:25 pm

cyclops

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2006, 10:32:25 pm »
to 935racer

pictures be up soon

to mcgyver

im from england but have found the forums there not to good for diesel tuning etc these forums appear to be much more enthusiastic hence the post here.

Reply #4September 18, 2006, 11:22:17 pm

macsdub

• Junior

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2006, 11:22:17 pm »
yea we can get ya help sooner or later,sooner is better though
nothing wrong with a mechanical tdi
mine does low 14's in the standing start 1/4 mile sprint(isnt that what you guys call it??)

i heard  if you took a idi 1.9 block,and installed the tdi pistons and head,rods maybe too??,you have a tdi
maybe someone created something,or they had a tdi blow up,and needed a "new" block?? :wink:
most of the time this is hilfolk'r... ive forgotten my password

Reply #5September 19, 2006, 12:32:48 pm

cyclops

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2006, 12:32:48 pm »
im just checking my nozzles which are covered in a good carbon crust
the part number is

DSLA 150 P 357

they also have a stamp 467 over 060.
any ideas as to which ones these are as i may go a bigger size.

Fixmyvw.com