Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: WTB: Long shot...anyone have used Race 520's out there?  (Read 4944 times)

September 11, 2006, 09:38:01 am

RabbitGTDguy

• Veteran

WTB: Long shot...anyone have used Race 520's out there?
« on: September 11, 2006, 09:38:01 am »
Ok, so...this is a BIG long shot and I doubt anyone does, but I'm looking for a set of used R520 nozzles to test in my mTDI MK1 before I delve into the big bucks and shell them out for a brand new set through Kerma. If worst comes to worst I'll just have to order them here this winter and keep what I'm running now in there and just be properly "fueled and boost" come spring instead of playing a little this fall. Currently, I'm running just Bosio Sprint 216's which the motor is "ok" with but no way NEAR its potential with...
I'm interested in hearing what you have. Reason being as well, I may put R520's in and want something bigger which I've heard Kerma is able to get...but for a "custom" price. We'll see...i'd like to see the difference though between 216 and 260 on this motor will be though. Should be FUN!!! Can't even get her to smoke much right now. Afterall...with the 12mm pump and the smaller nozzles there is only so much fuel you can push through there!

Malone.... anyone?  

:)

Joe

1979 Rabbit mTDI crazy $*(\%& bunny...
1972 VW Westfalia
2009 VW Tiguan SE 2.0T (Wife's car)
2001 Audi TT 225 Quattro Roadster (something newer :) )

Reply #1September 11, 2006, 10:38:35 am

jackbombay

• Veteran

« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2006, 10:38:35 am »
Red Rotors was selling a set a while back, I don't recall that he sold them, it's worth a PM.

Reply #2September 11, 2006, 10:44:49 am

RabbitGTDguy

• Veteran

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2006, 10:44:49 am »
thanks...i'll send marc an IM... I remember that now that you mention it !

Still open to others too!
:)
1972 VW Westfalia

Reply #3September 11, 2006, 10:59:58 am

malone

• Administrator
  • Veteran

• Malone Tuning Ltd.
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2006, 10:59:58 am »
I don't have used R520s but I'm a Bosio dealer now, I can sell new.

RedRotors already sold his R520s :(

Good luck in your search, ttt.
http://www.tunezilla.com
93 Eurovan AHU TDI
96 Golf 1.9L ASV TDI - I bought it back!
97 Golf Variant Syncro 1.9L 1Z TDI - sold and missed
11 Golf 2.0L CJAA TDI DSG - Stage 4
14 Golf Wagon 2.0L CJAA TDI DSG - Sold
17 BMW 328d wagon - Sold
09 BMW 335d 3.0L

Reply #4September 11, 2006, 11:17:09 am

RabbitGTDguy

• Veteran

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2006, 11:17:09 am »
malone, sending you an IM...

Joe
1972 VW Westfalia

Reply #5September 11, 2006, 09:27:34 pm

scopefrfd

• Veteran

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2006, 09:27:34 pm »
I'm amazed you can't get more power.  I'm running a fiat 11mm pump on my ALH with auto injectors, the smallest nozzle set in my A2 jetta and the car just flat out flies.   It can make smoke up until 15 psi then it clears up.  The car currently is set for 25psi max boost.   I have it leaned out and I'm running an aftermarket boost pin so the pump fueling is setup to be very boost sensitive.  I still have a plenty of fuel available via the fuel screw.  Maybe the fiat pumps have a big camplate?   I have some Powerplus 764's sitting in the box...I haven't bothered putting them in because the performance is good as is.

By the way...does everybody's M-tdi's sound like a cummins.

Reply #6September 11, 2006, 10:59:24 pm

RabbitGTDguy

• Veteran

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2006, 10:59:24 pm »
There may be some different dynamics between my setup and yours though. I don't know if you looked at the thread with my mTDI build but I'm using a slightly larger turbo to start off...mainly on the turbine side with is .48 vs. a stock IDI TD turbo (that many are using) t3 or k24 turbine side that is .36 or .38 depending on what you have. So...spool up is a little more on my setup.
Also, compression is lowered slightly and the thermal coatings on the pistons really seem to be doing its job of keeping the heat where it needs to be and completely the combustion process. Flat out, the motor flys but I'm indeed trying to find my "tuning curve" and its just not happening with Sprint 764's. The pump is setup and runs great. Only thing I may be switching out here soon is the advance mech which is still 4bt as well as the KSB device on it for TDI pump parts. The cummins 12mm 4bt camplate also carries an extra 20% of lift. too when looking at it compared to a TDI camplate if I had to guess.
The biggest problem in my opinion at the moment is the turbo...getting it to spool in the right place and the fuel just doesn't seem to be there to make that happen. It runs plenty fast, but the boost isn't where I want it to be nor the smoke to find the curve. Which turbo are you running? There would be no issues with this and a T3 from an IDI setup or a K24. Another issue is the turbine outlet which is slightly larger than the dp flange I currently have which was setup for the old IDI TD and its T3 I had run before. So there could be a bit of restriction there.
Fuel needs to be properly matched to the boost on the car and at the moment I think there is room for improvement. Installation of the intercoooler will help as the current plumbing setup sucks but will soon be taken care of. The pp764 will still be much better than the sprint 764 unit and the R520 even more so with those of us with larger turbo....more boost, etc. The saddest part is the boost response at the moment. I have it turned to produce max....say 30 psi at the moment and its hard to get it to 20psi unless I'm full on it. then...pop....boost tube... soon to be taken care of. Believe me, car is def. fast just not quite where I think it should be. Could be a wastegate issue too as I don't hear the turbo like I think I should. I've got plenty of fuel screw left...have backed off the RPM screw as far as it can go so the throttle level is actually against the housing of the LDA itself...so its go fuel... just she won't smoke unless really laid on it to the floor. Hmm.... guess I'm picky :)
1972 VW Westfalia

Reply #7September 12, 2006, 12:31:02 am

scopefrfd

• Veteran

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2006, 12:31:02 am »
I'm actually using the smaller K14 turbo.  I know everybody wants to use a larger turbo for more total hp but for me I sat down and decided what I wanted from this setup before building and driveabiltiy took precidence over total hp.  So I went with the K14.  It's a perfect tweener size, bigger than the k03, and vnt15, but smaller than the k24/t3.  The k14 is a strong turbo.  It reacts very quickly and it makes great boost.  It makes boost right off idle and the car is extemely fun to drive.  

Where I drive there aren't many areas where you can completely open it up...so I'm not on full boost for minutes on end.  Rather it's short bursts between  traffic and the k14 is perfect for that and I don't have to wory about my EGT's getting excessive.  

I'm using the factory GTD intercooler setup and it has worked very nicely.  I haven't blown any hoses so far.   I have a t3/k24 from a 1.6td and I've been seriously considering swapping out the k14.  I'm also using a tdi tranny so the smaller k14 is better match to the tranny.   I only need 7-10psi to cruise down the highway at 75mph, but when I need to pass it's shoots right to 20+ instantly.

Reply #8September 12, 2006, 05:47:59 am

RabbitGTDguy

• Veteran

« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2006, 05:47:59 am »
Thats one of the considerations I'm dealing with and part of the reason I'd like to find a set of larger nozzles. I may end up going down to the T3 or K24 eventually if things don't pan out here. The turbine side on this one just might be a bit to large for the spooling I'd like to see down low...but it is kinda nice up high... I can do 75 very quickly from second geard and have ALOT of pedal left in the end.  I'll like to see how things react to the nozzles before I make those considerations though.

As far as driveability...the mTDI is quite amazing in the MK1...alot of fun... once its completely broken in, balanced and setup...its going to be even more so. I'm excited. Mine will never be a daily driver...rather than spring summer fall fun car, but it will see its share of the road too when weather permits.

Oh...and on your comment about noise...lol, mine does sound a bit like a cummins too :) Guess its that fine control of electronics in the end that is the missing link. Oh well...

Joe
1972 VW Westfalia

Reply #9September 14, 2006, 11:54:09 pm

Turbinepowered

• Veteran

« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2006, 11:54:09 pm »
Only vaguely related, but I wouldn't mind at all having a little low-displacement diesel rumbling away under the hood like a big truck.

Might scare the ricers. ;)