S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: Aligator DIY/Diesel inside tune complete!  (Read 3294 times)

September 13, 2006, 02:43:05 am

jackbombay

• Veteran

Aligator DIY/Diesel inside tune complete!
« on: September 13, 2006, 02:43:05 am »
Over the last month or so I've installed a bunch of new hardware and an Aligator DIY tuning kit. My car flat out HAULS now.

Hardware includes; PD 150 turbo, R520s, ARP headstuds, OMI, PD lift pump, boost and EGT (pre-turbo) gauges, PD 130 oil cooler, VR6 clutch, DG race pipe, and freshly cleaned intake manifold.
I had a "new" 11mm that I bought off of ebay, but it quit on me It'll be a little while before I have enough money to send it to DFIS in portland to see what's wrong with it. But untill then I have a car thats still way faster than it should be

I met up with Mark Malone at J&S performance while up in Canada for friends wedding, we got my ECU socketed and a base tune programmed in the late afternoon before I had to leave (I had the father of the bride with me, luckily it was his B-day so he couldn't get in too much trouble). We were initially hoping to get the full tune done that afternoon, but Ed was there as well and due to my time constraints it ended up being best for me to finish the tune via e-mail with Aligator.

The programmer itself is easy to set-up and use, I got a 12V power source from Radio shack, they sell one 12v Power source with all sorts of different attachments, the one labled the letter O is the correct one for the programmer, here is a pic of the 12v Power supply box,

I wanted a custom tune for several reasons, first I wanted to limit torque to around 275 to take it "easy" on the drive line while still having full HP at higher revs. Second, I live at high altitude and wanted to make sure the turbo wasn't going to kill itself, unfortunately there is no compressor map avalible for the PD 150 turbo, but Aligator does have the stock PD 150 programming on hand so we used that boost map (altered slightly Little less bost down low to avoid surge and a little more up top) to have the best chance at running the turbo in it's "happy zone". Third, I wanted a tune that took into account my specific hardware. And finally I wanted future flexibility, while I tell myself I'm "done" with my car, I also know that, well, I'm just saying that to keep my wife happy . Now when I get some new hardware installed all I have to do is run some VAG logs e-mail them off, with about 45 minutes of work to pull the ECU and program the chip I can then enjoy my new tune, virtually no down time.

My boost valve is now doing nothing more than making my toolbox heavier, boost spikes are at most, 2 PSI, with maybe a 1/2 pound of undershoot, even with the 11mm pump and the R520 it wouldn't spike more than 2 PSI no matter what I did.

As for MPG I haven't had a "normal" tank of fuel yet, but it seems to be right in line with where it's always been.

I'll try to get to my Poor man's dyno soon,

S-PAutomotive.com