Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: Project Mechanical Twin Turbo TDI  (Read 15390 times)

September 04, 2006, 01:01:34 am

935racer

Project Mechanical Twin Turbo TDI
« on: September 04, 2006, 01:01:34 am »
Heres the deal, my daily driver MB TD is getting old (517,xxxkms, still tickin) and I am looking for something a little more exciting to drive. I figured I had pretty much all the major pieces needed to build a pretty exciting turbo diesel  so away I go. The goal is to make 250WHP and 400ft/lbs of torque, everyday, reliably. I want to do this on a very resonable budget, no crazy maching, gonna use stock pistons etc.

I have a ALH longblock sitting in my shop, its pretty bare, but low milage and I'll come up with the rest of the parts. I also just recently aquired a TDI o2a transmission, so I will use that. I also just bought malones old 97 golf, yes the one that I put together with the 1.6/1.9 franken engine, don't worry that engine will get more freaky, just in a older and lighter chasis :D

The plans of as now:

ENGINE: 70,000kms on long block
Give bottom end a quick rebuild, balance the bottom end, add total seal gapless rings, machine pistons, ceramic coat tops of pistons, add arp rod bolts and main and head studs, new bearings, polish rods, powder coat block, new gaskets etc.
Head: Full rebuild, intense porting work, new valves, 3 or 5 angle valve job, one of my custom cams, my new custom tubular manifolds, upgraded valve springs(suggestions?)

Fuel injection: starting with a brand spankin new cummins 6bt pump, a used core ALH electronic 10mm tdi pump, governor and throttle assembly from a 1.6 pump,  a complete 1.6td pump top, and the only 14mm custom made head in north america, thanks to red rotors for hooking that up.
Giles will be building this pump, as much as I want to build it myself I have no idea what to set the plunger prestroke and stuff at because I have no reference point, Giles is the man for this job and he can bench test it before I throw it on the motor. I will be using a high pressure lift pump to supply fuel and a large fuel cooler to keep the temps down.
Mark Malone (www.dieselinside.com) is hooking me up with some rc520's for the injectors until someone makes something bigger and badder.

Water injection: I will build myself and will incorporate a resevoir, a high pressure pump and 4 misters, one for each intake runner, comming from something much like a fuel rail, I might try and rig up some sort of fuel pressure regulator to control fuel with boost pressure.

Tranny: I am going to swap a TDI o2a with hydraulic clutch and cable shift  into the chasis originally equipped with the o2o cable clutch and rod/linkage shifter. The tranny itself has 80,000miles on it and will have to remain stock until a later date where I can dump the cash into a peloquin and a full rebuild. I am praying I do not blow it up, no drag racing for a while.

Clutch and Flywheel: Clutch is a brand new VR6 Spec stage 3 with a 6 puck solid disk, it is rated to 444ftlbs of torque, perfect! Flywheel will be a 228mm lightened and balanced.

Turbo Detail: New Passenger Performance Race series custom tubular intake and exhaust manifolds including a custom compound turbo charger setup. I will be using a precision front mount air to air aftercooler.

And heres the kicker, I want to start the engine by mid october and have it dialed and driving by the end of october, pretty hectic but I want to try anyways.

Pictures to come! Hopefully this thread will keep me focused and motivated. Feel free to comment and ask questions.

Reply #1September 04, 2006, 07:38:34 am

Benjamin

• Veteran

« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2006, 07:38:34 am »
935racer i love it to just follow youre project!

250WHP :shock:

start posting pics  :D  

Greetz, Benjamin
SMOG alert, engine running again!
Must make +250hp

Reply #2September 04, 2006, 08:37:26 am

QuickTD

• Veteran

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2006, 08:37:26 am »
upgraded valve springs if I can find some (if anyone has a source please tell).

The dual valve springs from an earlier diesel (with 8mm valve stems) are the hot ticket in gasser land, and certainly an upgrade from the ALH single springs. The added bonus is that you probably have them "in stock".

Reply #3September 04, 2006, 11:41:12 am

935racer

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2006, 11:41:12 am »
Yeah I already have some new dual springs from early 8mm 1.9td heads, I really want to make a tool to check the clamping pressures for springs, its just a matter of when I can sneak into my buddys shop and use his lathe.

Reply #4September 04, 2006, 03:19:20 pm

andy2

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2006, 03:19:20 pm »
I'm using the Crane Cams gasser springs PN#CRN99879-8.They are a good bit stronger than the dual diesel springs.When boosting over 30psi I believe these are a must!

Reply #5September 04, 2006, 09:28:14 pm

935racer

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2006, 09:28:14 pm »
Thanks Andy! I'll be looking into those springs for sure, what was the cost on those bad boys?

First update: pulled off the oil pan, oil pump, and removed pistons and rods.
One thing I noted is that the 2nd compression ring and the oil ring on pistons and 1+4 were siezed, yet there was no cylinder wall scoring. The rings were just stuck, not broken, seems to be excessive carbon build up. Coincidence? I think not, I am blaming the pathetic intake manifold for this one. Pistons and rods are sitting in the parts washer tonight, hopefully I can free the rings in the morning and get some pictures up tomorrow.

Reply #6September 05, 2006, 12:00:10 am

Kudagra

• Veteran

• www.no-coast.com
Turbo boost libido and passive restraints
And as of yet I haven't heard even a single complaint
I've got the tools of the trade and a fuel injected heart
Efficiency is beautiful, efficiency is art

Reply #7September 05, 2006, 01:01:39 am

935racer

« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2006, 01:01:39 am »
Dang thats cheap, definately grabbing some of those.

Reply #8September 05, 2006, 07:46:00 pm

malone

• Administrator
  • Veteran

• Malone Tuning Ltd.
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2006, 07:46:00 pm »
Just out of curiosity, are you going to o-ring the block or head for piece of mind?
http://www.tunezilla.com
93 Eurovan AHU TDI
96 Golf 1.9L ASV TDI - I bought it back!
97 Golf Variant Syncro 1.9L 1Z TDI - sold and missed
11 Golf 2.0L CJAA TDI DSG - Stage 4
14 Golf Wagon 2.0L CJAA TDI DSG - Sold
17 BMW 328d wagon - Sold
09 BMW 335d 3.0L

Reply #9September 06, 2006, 03:08:06 am

935racer

« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2006, 03:08:06 am »
I don't think I'll bother O ringing, I am not planning on running over 40 psi, so not too much boost, I've got headstuds and my gasket goo along with lowered compression, I think I'llbe fine

Oh and I got the rings out today! So happy about that, definately good I didn't try to just run the engine as is. I also started to polish the rods, its late now maybe pics tomorrow.

Reply #10September 08, 2006, 08:48:43 am

lord_verminaard

• Veteran

« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2006, 08:48:43 am »
I'll be watching closely, those are numbers that I am really hoping to get with my "twincharged" TDI idea.  (still just that, an idea.)    :(  Good luck!

Brendan
84 Scirocco 8v
00 Camaro L36 M49
81 Scirocco 'S -->Soon to be m-TDI
93 Corrado SLC VR6
'86 Golf N/A Diesel  -->Wife's car
1990 Audi CQ
05 New Beetle PD TDI

"I am a man, I can change... if I have to.... I guess....."

-Red Green

Reply #11September 08, 2006, 10:18:42 am

935racer

« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2006, 10:18:42 am »
Whats your twin charge idea? Blower to snail?

I am trying to figure out how to upload pics to my new computer, I've got two of the rods pretty much completed, takes about 2.5 hours a rod. :?  These rods take twice as long to polish as the IDI ones.

Reply #12September 08, 2006, 12:29:19 pm

DVST8R

• Veteran

« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2006, 12:29:19 pm »
Paging Malone to Dave's house! We need pic's  :P

(Is this motor going to run a prototype of youre advance mechanism?)
The Brett of the board...

The Dark Side of Beauty.[/i]

Reply #13September 08, 2006, 02:51:45 pm

935racer

« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2006, 02:51:45 pm »
Initially no, I won't need the extra advance because I will not be revving the 14mm head very high, not likely over 5000rpm, unless giles comes up with some magic. If I blow the 14mm (please no) than I will go down to a 12mm head and than I can use one of my prototype timing advance mechanisms.

Looks like me and Farrel are gonna run soem base flow #'s on the head this weekend and maybe start some porting and piston machining.
My bro just came and stole my camera for the day, so I am gonna have to wait until evening to get some pics up, but I'll pin him down and make him upload my pictures onto this computer. I have 3 rods almost done now, I want to make sure the pics are good before I polish the last one so you can all see what kind of work I am doing.

Reply #14September 09, 2006, 07:09:20 am

Benjamin

• Veteran

« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2006, 07:09:20 am »
Nice job, i wish i got the possibility to do the internals!
i hope you got youre cam back soon  :P

and than I can use one of my prototype timing advance mechanisms.

you ever said maybe you should post it, do you still working on it  :D

Greetz, Benjamin
SMOG alert, engine running again!
Must make +250hp

Fixmyvw.com