Author Topic: Intercooling  (Read 2159 times)

September 05, 2006, 03:21:48 pm

BellCityDubber

• Veteran

Intercooling
« on: September 05, 2006, 03:21:48 pm »
Well, I managed to find a g60 intercooler, the SMIC from a g60 corrado I would assume

I have a few questions/observations

1. I would have to unbolt the flange on the top of my intake and turn it 180 degrees so the orientation of the inlet would be facing the drivers side of the vehicle... correct?

2. where would the G60 smic mount? <I know it's not the under dash one, I undestand it's supposed to go in front of the wheel well or something? does anyone have pics?

I'm sure others have ran this intercooler setup on a 1.6td... are there any drawbacks to this system? what were the difficulties you've ran into while doing so?

Reply #1September 05, 2006, 07:19:44 pm

Chestrockwell

• Junior

Intercooling
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2006, 07:19:44 pm »
I set one up in my mk3 jett this summer using 2 1/4" aluminum tube. It sits neatly in front of the left wheel well; angled back slightly to align the fins with the air... I used about 4 and a half U-bends and it took me a short day to do. For the 90 that bolts onto the intake, the stock one was too small diameter so I just cut the flange off and welded a piece of my AL mandrel bend to it. Also, when I flipped the 90 around before I cut it, it was leaning too much towards the turbine housing; further prompting me to weld my own piece on.
For the oval connection-tank on the stock G60 air-air, I didn't want to screw around with that, and, it was pointing the complete wrong direction for where I mounted it. You can see the tank I build from AL sheet on the top side of the cooler. For the outlet of the cooler (the round connection in my case) it happened to be very close to 2 1/4" so I just went with that; on mine, I just used a foot of the rubber hose I had because I was too lazy to finish it with AL.
I can sustain 1300F pre turbine at 28psi in hot dry AB weather this summer so I assume the cooler is doing something good

Hope the pics help, if you got more q's ask away.

Peace,

Chester

:)

Reply #2September 05, 2006, 08:09:36 pm

RabbitJockey

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    America, DUCK YEAH!!!
Intercooling
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2006, 08:09:36 pm »
you want another g60 smic?
01 Jetta TDI 100% stock daily
81 Rabbit:TDI-M ported head, Frank06 cam, PD intake, hybrid T3 turbo, Renault intercooler, Syl20 11mm pump, light weight fw, and yellow California Clutch clutch kit

Reply #3September 05, 2006, 08:18:42 pm

BellCityDubber

• Veteran

Intercooling
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2006, 08:18:42 pm »
Well, it looks good
gives me an idea of what I have to do in order to route pipes, and fitment, but you said yours was a mk3...  I guess that's close enough to a mk2 :D

But that one tube looks awfuly close to your bulb harness...

in a few weeks I'll get back to mocking up a system on my car... we'll see how it goes then....

wouldnt a shield/scoop for the intercooler be a good idea, or am I on crack?

Reply #4September 05, 2006, 09:58:16 pm

Chestrockwell

• Junior

Intercooling
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2006, 09:58:16 pm »
Ya, I figure it's probably close to a mk 2. I wanted to keep my AC so that's why it ended up being there; without major airdam mods or removal of  AC rad I was left with only the front fender cavity for mounting.
I'm sure the piping touches the headlight bulb, but what the hell I don't notice anything wrong yet, I might shorten that tube one day....

I've definatly thought about some ducting either on the front or even on the back to draw air out but I don't know enought ducting so I can't justify it yet. Any knowledgable info on air ducting might convince me but like I say; when I pop the hood after a hard charge from the turbo, the one tube's hot and the other one's definately cold 8) so I guess it's working...

peace,

Chester