Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: 1.6td pump timing and settings  (Read 6872 times)

May 14, 2004, 09:49:58 am

Anonymous

1.6td pump timing and settings
« on: May 14, 2004, 09:49:58 am »
hey guys, it's been a couple of days of driving the now 1.6td vw caddy/pickup, and i haven't messed with the actually pump timing... (don't have the tools and don't really know what to set it too)
but the problem i'm having is on cold start. The car smokes really bad on a cold start in the early morning?? and unless i let the car warmup for a good 2-3mins. i cannot even take off... it will sputter/jerk....

Is there any cold start adjustment screw on top of the pump?
anyone have any pics of the pump with what the different adjustment screws are for?

lastly, anyone know where to get the pump timing tool w/gauge.... and how easy it is.... or have any technique down??

thanks
david

Reply #1May 14, 2004, 06:21:13 pm

dieseltech

• Junior

• http://www.geocities.com/dean16v/Page_One.html
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2004, 06:21:13 pm »
sounds like maybe a bad glowplug and the pump timing is not correct.
 the timing is easy once you do it once with someone who has done it. every once in a while ebay has the tools to do timing. there is no screw on the pump for timing adjustment. where are you located, if your in usa northeast i would be willing to show you how to do it.
86 td jetta power everything dd (update off the road for major resto).  97tdi bare bones, DD
and a private junkyard of various other vw/audi/bmw/peugeot/volvo/toyota diesels!!!
Cummins has the worlds record for being the most efficient engine ever!!!!!
for converting fuel into noise!

Reply #2May 15, 2004, 01:47:48 pm

n_tensetuning

• User+

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2004, 01:47:48 pm »
i'm in newington, ct 06111
about an 1.5hr from nyc through (hutchinson pkwy/merrit pkwy)

drop me an email or call [email protected] or 860-436-9450

how do i test the glow plugs?  ohm reading on each one?  anyone??

david
81 vw caddy 1.6td

Reply #3May 15, 2004, 08:53:24 pm

dieseltech

• Junior

• http://www.geocities.com/dean16v/Page_One.html
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2004, 08:53:24 pm »
newington is not a bad trip for me, i live near poughkeepsie NY.

the glowplugs well two methods i use the easy and the tried and true.
the easy method: put a amp meter on the wire going to the glowplugs, cycle the key so the glow plug light goes on and check the reading on the meter, they should draw aprox 60 amps.

the tried and true method i use.  pull out all the injectors and turn the key on, look in the hole where the injectors were, you should see bright red glowplugs in all 4. caution only do this method on a cold engine.!

good luck and i will get to you soon about meeting up somewhare to take a look at your timing.

chris
86 td jetta power everything dd (update off the road for major resto).  97tdi bare bones, DD
and a private junkyard of various other vw/audi/bmw/peugeot/volvo/toyota diesels!!!
Cummins has the worlds record for being the most efficient engine ever!!!!!
for converting fuel into noise!

Fixmyvw.com