Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: Unbelievable Fuel Gauge Problem and Solution  (Read 2670 times)

July 24, 2009, 03:51:58 pm

SolarSteve

• Veteran

Unbelievable Fuel Gauge Problem and Solution
« on: July 24, 2009, 03:51:58 pm »
Yesterday I got into my Jetta to head for work and when I turned the key forward to light the plugs I noticed my diesel fuel gauge peg to the far right.  I only had 1/2 tank so I flicked the key back a forth a few times but it still pegged to the right when energized.  So I drove to work and when I had some time I checked this site for possible solutions.  Everything that was pertinant to fuel gauges had to do with both the fuel and temp gauge and the voltage regulator.  Being that only my fuel gauge was acting up I figured it wasn't the regulator.

I started to think about it and decided that when I kill power the needle goes to the far left so if it is going to the far right with power on, it must be shorting out somewhere.  So this morning I decided I would unplug the gauge wiring at the tank and see what the needle does.  I got into the trunk and pulled the access panel and as soon as I lifted it, it was obvious what was wrong.  A damned mouse built a nest right on top of the sending unit access cover on the tank.  Not only that but the little bastard ate the plastic cover that was over the wire bundle and the insulation off the two sender wires!!!  The bare wires were all tangled together and shorting out.

I cleaned out the nest, vaccuumed out all of the other crap he left and spiced in some new wire and problem solved.

I couldn't believe the mess that this mouse made and I wonder how long I was driving around with some of the insulation gone.

Being that I couldn't find anything in with the search engine here for a fuel gauge that pegs to the right, maybe a mod will put this in the FAQ or How To section.

Steve

91 Jetta 1.6 N/A

Reply #1July 24, 2009, 03:57:34 pm

catlin_cava

• Veteran

Re: Unbelievable Fuel Gauge Problem and Solution
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2009, 03:57:34 pm »
When I was tearing a MK3 apart before there was a couple dead mice on top of the sending unit lol.
Catlin

2012 VW Golf 2.5 5speed Deep Black Pearl
1999.5 VW Jetta TDI Bosch .216mm injectors and Malone stage 2, soon 11mm pump and vnt 22(parked for the winter)
2010 VW Golf City 2.0L "Hers"

Reply #2July 24, 2009, 11:29:40 pm

Rabbit TD

• Veteran

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2009, 11:29:40 pm »
I changed heater-a/c fan in a 98 Buick Century once and found one wrapped around the squirrel cage wheel and had it locked up.     

Reply #3July 25, 2009, 01:42:42 am

rabbid79

• Veteran

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2009, 01:42:42 am »
I thought for sure you were going to say how you spent hours hunting the problem down, only to find out that your wife or friend topped off the tank without you knowing. ;D
'15 WRX
Parts for 2.0 TD build - Now looking for suitable car to put it in.

Reply #4July 25, 2009, 10:37:05 am

SolarSteve

• Veteran

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2009, 10:37:05 am »
Although someone filling the tank would have been on par for the way things have been going lately, I pretty much knew it wasn't over full for a few reasons, the 1st being that not only does my wife not know how to drive a standar (and yes I have tried to teach her) but she rarely goes near the Jetta.  And 2nd, I've filled the tank in the past to the point that fuel was dribbling out of the fill neck and the gauge never read as high as it was rading when shorted.

I keep the car out in my barn and it doesn't have a cemented floor, so the mice are always in there.  Plus I run VO so that really attracts them.  About 2 years ago I built a bucket mouse trap that works great, but I neglected it and it stopped working and then I had the mouse problem.  After fixing the gauge I fixed the trap.  I would just put down some D-Con, but my dog goes into the barn with me alot, and I don't want her to eat it!

Steve

91 Jetta 1.6 N/A

Reply #5July 25, 2009, 10:26:03 pm

Rabbit TD

• Veteran

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2009, 10:26:03 pm »
Although someone filling the tank would have been on par for the way things have been going lately, I pretty much knew it wasn't over full for a few reasons, the 1st being that not only does my wife not know how to drive a standar (and yes I have tried to teach her) but she rarely goes near the Jetta.  And 2nd, I've filled the tank in the past to the point that fuel was dribbling out of the fill neck and the gauge never read as high as it was rading when shorted.

I keep the car out in my barn and it doesn't have a cemented floor, so the mice are always in there.  Plus I run VO so that really attracts them.  About 2 years ago I built a bucket mouse trap that works great, but I neglected it and it stopped working and then I had the mouse problem.  After fixing the gauge I fixed the trap.  I would just put down some D-Con, but my dog goes into the barn with me alot, and I don't want her to eat it!

I'm interested in the bucket mouse trap, how does that work ???

Reply #6July 26, 2009, 01:35:57 am

Vincent Waldon

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• My collection of HOWTOs
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2009, 01:35:57 am »

I'm interested in the bucket mouse trap, how does that work ???

2X... another month or two and it will be mouse season again.
Vince

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
2001 silver TDI Jetta Malone Stage 1.5 , 2001 blue TDI Jetta SBIII 216s Malone Stage 3, 1970 Bay Window bus

Gone but not forgotten: 1969/1971 Beetles, 1969/1974 Westies, 1979 Rabbit, 1986 TD Jetta, 1992 gas Jetta, 1994 TD Jetta

Reply #7July 26, 2009, 02:31:02 am

maxfax

• Veteran

« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2009, 02:31:02 am »
3X, I'm sick of my toys smelling of moth balls!! Bring on the bucket!!

Reply #8July 26, 2009, 01:46:32 pm

Jay

• Junior

• Personal Text
    Derv power !
    • TONA Valet & Detailing
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2009, 01:46:32 pm »
at work we had a bucket of water out the back to put our ciggies in, we found dead mice and rats in that, I'm guessing they just jumped in and couldn't get out. It seemed far more effective than proper rat traps we bought.

Reply #9July 26, 2009, 08:55:22 pm

Rabbit TD

• Veteran

« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2009, 08:55:22 pm »
at work we had a bucket of water out the back to put our ciggies in, we found dead mice and rats in that, I'm guessing they just jumped in and couldn't get out. It seemed far more effective than proper rat traps we bought.
Maby the liked the smell of the tobbaco or something and it got them curious, maby they wanted a chew ;D

Reply #10July 27, 2009, 12:05:07 pm

SolarSteve

• Veteran

« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2009, 12:05:07 pm »
This is how to build a bucket trap.

Take an aluminum can and drill an 1/8" hole dead center in the bottom and top.  Take a 5 gallon bucket and drill an 1/8" hole about 1/2" down from the top and another directly across from it.  Next take a piece of coat hanger wire and slide it through the 2 holes in the can and then make a small "U" in the wire closer to one end of the wire than the other.  Coat the can evenly with peanut butter.  Insert the 2 ends of the wire into the 2 holes you drilled in the bucket.  Make sure that one end of the can is about an inch or so to the side of the bucket.  Next, use a piece of wood, or I use a piece of 3/4" PVC as a ramp from the ground to the wire that is closest to the can.  Finally, fill the bucket up about 3" with anti-freeze solution.

The theory is (and it works) that the mouse climbs the ramp to get to the peanut butter and attempts to get to, as he tries to get on the can, the can rotates and the mouse falls into the water below and drowns.  Its not the most humane way of getting rid of mice, but it is a set and forget trap that works great.

By the way, you can upsize this for rats, just use a 55 gallon drum!!

PS don't forget to empty the mice from time to time.  I am sure you will have many mice with in the first day of setting this up.
Steve

91 Jetta 1.6 N/A

Reply #11July 27, 2009, 02:17:00 pm

Rabbit on Roids

« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2009, 02:17:00 pm »
i hear ya, i shot part of a snake out my tail pipe when i picked up my audi a couple days ago. and there was a nice big rat in the engine room.

Reply #12July 27, 2009, 03:22:15 pm

bajacalal

« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2009, 03:22:15 pm »
Mice are a constant annoyance where I live. I have started checking under the hood before I start the engine, every day, I have had a few get cooked already. It's a good habitat for them as there is a small creek on the property and a lot of wilderness areas around. I live this little ranch and everyone around here keeps all sorts of animals, mice are attracted to their food.

The fact that I park my cars in a barn doesn't help. There are too many to trap, the owls around here can't even keep up.

Moth balls seem to help the most, mice hate the smell. I put the moth balls in a jar, punch small holes in the lid. This way the moth balls can't be spilled. I set these jars on the hood, inside the car and in my workshop. Take the moth balls out before driving away, the smell is nauseating after a while.

Reply #13July 27, 2009, 06:16:10 pm

SolarSteve

• Veteran

« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2009, 06:16:10 pm »
As far as the bucket trap goes, all I can tell you is, if you build it, they will fall into it!

The best part is you can catch like 20 or so before you need to start to pull them out!

Go build one and report back!!
Steve

91 Jetta 1.6 N/A

S-PAutomotive.com