Engine Specific Info and Questions > IDI Engine

1.6IDI Not Fully Rotating/Not Starting

<< < (2/7) > >>

fatmobile:
 I think it's a good sign that it stops.
 When I broke a timing belt it just kept going around.
 Timing cover off first. Check the belt.
 Turn the engine to TDC and look through the timing hole in the trany. Compare it to the marks on the injection pump sprocket.

Upgraded rubber valve cover gasket available. Comes from a MK3 gasser like a '94 2.0.
The valve cover studs need to be changed too.

Mohatanous:
Update:

Upon digging a small amount more into the issue, I managed to get the camshaft to the position it is supposed to be in, but upon trying to turn the motor to the TDC mark on the flywheel view port, it will not go to the "0" mark, as that is where it is sticking. I'm suspecting there are bent valves and that the head now needs to come off, so that is my next step. What else should I check after pulling the head off? Does anybody have suggestions for what I should do if I get the head and valve train redone? Any recommendations would be great!

Thank in advance!

Mohatanous:
Also, I'm not sure what this may mean, but when turning the camshaft it would not turn smoothly, but rather would move in sudden bursts, sort of like hitting compression. I'm not sure how to describe it, really. Thanks!

fatmobile:
  It might be a piece of nut shell in there, from the mice in the air filter.
 Or a dead mouse.
 A bent valve might show itself with the valve cover off, looking from the top.
Can you tell what cylinder it is? So you kinda know what valves to look at.
 1 and 4 TDC, or 2 and 3 180 from TDC, then what valves are open.

Great idea to turn the engine by hand first.
Might want to try turning the cam too.
 Maybe pull the intake first so more stuff the mice left in there doesn't go into the engine. That won't cost anything, the intake gasket probably won't fall apart.

ORCoaster:
If the mice left anything in the intake and it got pulled into or fell into the cylinders then You need to pull off the intake from the back of the engine and put a shop vac on each cylinder and rotate the crank back and forth to see if you can pull anything out of there.  You might pull the glow plugs or injectors off so you can get air in from the underside of the head and suck it off the valves.

Just my thought on it.  If you have one of those chip/sawdust collectors that go between the shop vac and the end of the hose use it.  That way you will be able to tell us what and how much crap you had in there messing with your start-up.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version