Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: Sharing my 1.6td project  (Read 5710 times)

Reply #45May 09, 2024, 10:26:56 pm

ORCoaster

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Restoring a Caddy as time and weather allows
Re: Sharing my 1.6td project
« Reply #45 on: May 09, 2024, 10:26:56 pm »
Fatmobile,  don't all VWs have gauge clusters and lights that act weird?  Even with ground straps on all parts of the car?  It just seems that way to me for some reason.

Reply #46May 11, 2024, 01:51:54 am

fatmobile

• Veteran

• http://www.geocities.com/vwfatmobile/
« Reply #46 on: May 11, 2024, 01:51:54 am »
 My gas and temp gauge go up and down together, ha. But that's probably just the voltage regulator contacts.
 What really had my cluster acting funny, I'm convinced,
was the little ground wire from the steering rack to the body was missing.
 My own fault, I didn't realize how important it was.
Tornado red, '91 Golf 4 door,
with a re-ringed, '84 quantum, turbo diesel, MD block

Reply #47May 13, 2024, 09:26:40 pm

as4k

• User+

« Reply #47 on: May 13, 2024, 09:26:40 pm »
Back from PA in my other Audi.  Around 20 hours of driving and the car did quite well.  I was still bummed I couldnt get the 4ktd ready for the trip as there were other 4k's there of that vintage. 

Ok, battery stuff.  I actually took the battery back to Autozone today and they confirmed the core is shot.  Ironically they didnt have a DLG battery there, couldnt get one, and sent me to a store that supposedly had one, but they only had DL versions, whatever.  So at least I'll be fresh with a new battery once I sort out the cables and grounds.

Now, I've had zero issues with the gauges or lights in this car.  Coolant and fuel gauge read correct, volt and oil temp seem to be as well.  But I will upgrade the negative and possibly positive cable and battery connection.  I did this with my other Audi a few years ago.  I wouldnt mind some opinions on exactly what you guys would use.

In terms of ground locations, I'm attaching a few photos.  Keep in mind this car was pretty much all apart, but the main negative cable was still there.  Its attached both at the battery tray and bellhousing.  There is another cable straight from the battery to the bellhousing.  I can either add another to a better grounding point (opinions on where would be nice), or replace and move the "blue" cable elsewhere. 

1986 4kq
1981 4ktd
2012 Jetta TDI

Reply #48May 13, 2024, 11:37:26 pm

fatmobile

• Veteran

• http://www.geocities.com/vwfatmobile/
« Reply #48 on: May 13, 2024, 11:37:26 pm »
 That looks like plenty of ground cables.
Tornado red, '91 Golf 4 door,
with a re-ringed, '84 quantum, turbo diesel, MD block

S-PAutomotive.com