Author Topic: Better Brakes..is there a way to improve???  (Read 8646 times)

Reply #15August 21, 2006, 11:27:58 pm

hillfolk'r

• Veteran

Better Brakes..is there a way to improve???
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2006, 11:27:58 pm »
those are good rotors,,get em w/ cast in holes,drilled ones crack
im runnin ate  9.4powerslots(vented) they have just slots cut in them to avoid any hole/crack issue,and ive got  metalmasters,but i eventually  wanna get in the modern age with a different pad
they stop good when warmed up a little though,but i know there are fetter"feeling" pads with better stopping power
Throttle cables ftw

Reply #16August 22, 2006, 03:22:53 pm

Peter

• Junior

« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2006, 03:22:53 pm »
I know what you mean/feel when useing the metal masters...i think those pads have been around for a long time with no real advancement in the product...simply  by thowing in more metal into the pad configuration is not the answer...maybe the mintex red box might do better ???..who knows...I am not looking for a high performance application here, just something better then stock pads and that will not loose its stopping ability with age...
Quote from: hillfolk'r
those are good rotors,,get em w/ cast in holes,drilled ones crack
im runnin ate  9.4powerslots(vented) they have just slots cut in them to avoid any hole/crack issue,and ive got  metalmasters,but i eventually  wanna get in the modern age with a different pad
they stop good when warmed up a little though,but i know there are fetter"feeling" pads with better stopping power

Reply #17August 22, 2006, 04:36:27 pm

vwmike

• Authorized Vendor
  • Veteran

« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2006, 04:36:27 pm »
Quote from: Peter
this sounds similiar to what I have done with my older subarus(although much easier then what you have described)...did you have to exchange or do anything with the proportioning valve???and where can one  to get info about the MK2/3

I didn't do anything to the proportioning valves and it seems to work fine. I also have 11" G60 rotors on my Rabbit with adapters and Audi 5000 turbo calipers/carriers, 22mm master and rear disks. I haven't had any issues with the proportioning.

Reply #18August 25, 2006, 01:44:03 pm

1.9blues

« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2006, 01:44:03 pm »
have u checked all the brake vacuum lines??? is your car Turbo Diesel???

because turbo Diesel has a Vacuum pump - the jap cars that u mention use their vacuum from the intake manifold.

I have the same problem with my VW, i found lots of vacuum leaks, so i silicone ALL the connections (on the vacuum circuit). I can lock my brakes at around 80KM/HR with OEM setup with 17" wheels and ***ty brake pads.

Solid front and Drum rears works SUPER GREAT not thinking about upgrading it now - but i was before.

Reply #19August 25, 2006, 03:01:19 pm

entuzijast

• Junior

• http://www.geof.hr/~imalovic
« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2006, 03:01:19 pm »
I have upgraded first to vented discs, then I upgraded to g60 discs (280 mm), with Audi S2 two piston calipers...
Old 239mm vented setup:

New g60 setup:

I had to change 20 mm master cylinder with new 22mm..My old master clinder was to worn out to produce the force to make hard braking...
Excuse me on my bad English

Reply #20August 26, 2006, 08:07:45 pm

Peter

• Junior

« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2006, 08:07:45 pm »
I will definitely look over the vacuum lines / pump...
Quote from: 1.9blues
have u checked all the brake vacuum lines??? is your car Turbo Diesel???

because turbo Diesel has a Vacuum pump - the jap cars that u mention use their vacuum from the intake manifold.

I have the same problem with my VW, i found lots of vacuum leaks, so i silicone ALL the connections (on the vacuum circuit). I can lock my brakes at around 80KM/HR with OEM setup with 17" wheels and ***ty brake pads.

Solid front and Drum rears works SUPER GREAT not thinking about upgrading it now - but i was before.

Fixmyvw.com