Model Specific Questions and Info > MK1 Golf/Jetta and B1 Dasher

Need Help Identifying Engine Type

(1/3) > >>

paradisenwfl:
I have a 1981 VW Rabbit Truck LX, but due to comments made in a previous post, I may have an engine other than a 1.6L.

I have looked at stamps on head and block, but I'm not able to make sense of what they mean via the internet.  I'm hoping that someone here can help with that.

Below is an overall view of the engine.  (Be kind, I haven't had it long).

Next are pics of stamps on head.

The next 2 pics are identifying features on block.

The last pic is of the installed air breather vent.  When I search on the part number, ebay wants to sell me a breather valve for a VW Golf Jetta 1.8.

Any help would be appreciated.

fatmobile:
I'm thinking 1.9 head on a 1.6 block: frankenengine.
I really don't know much about the 1.9 IDI heads or block.
The part number without a letter behind it confuses me.
 I usually think of a 373 with no letter as being a 1.5 head, but I don't think that's the case here.

Does the PCV puck on top have 2 ports or three? including the one going into the cover.

The 1.9 head lowers the compression because of the large prechambers.
 Which can mean hard starts when it's cold but it breathes better once running,
 because I think the valves and intake passageways are bigger.
 Good engine to turbo.

Putting the camera behind the engine and taking some pictures of the casting will let us know for sure if it's a 1.6D

paradisenwfl:
I just discovered something that will help with determining the engine type.  I went to close the hood and this caught my eye.

So my question has changed to what vehicle should I use when buying engine parts?  I was thinking maybe the 93 Golf with 1.9L Turbocharged engine.

What would be the hp for this engine and what does ECO mean?

fatmobile:
That might be a 1.6 NA pump.
 Still not sure it's an AAZ block,.. maybe just the head.
 The AAZ might have a block code flat spot just under injectors 3 and 4.

ORCoaster:
Combo Motor.  A little of this one a touch of that one.  And the cool part is that it still runs. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version