Model Specific Questions and Info > MK1 Golf/Jetta and B1 Dasher

1981 Rabbit Truck Stalls at Stop

(1/3) > >>

paradisenwfl:
I just purchased a 1981 Rabbit Truck 1.6L and could use some help understanding and diagnosing issues with the truck.  It starts up and idles fine, it shifts into gear fine, but when I stop the truck with it in gear and clutch in, it shutters and stalls.

I haven't done much to the truck yet.  I got rid of 10 years old diesel from the tank and replaced with fresh and a new fuel filter.  It now doesn't billow smoke out of the exhaust.  I also adjusted the clutch cable.

Any advice would be appreciated.

ORCoaster:
If the fuel filter age is unknown replace it.  All new trucks need to have their timing and idle set.  it is probably the extra load of the clutch dropping the idle speed.  it doesn't take much.

fatmobile:
Got clear fuel lines?

paradisenwfl:

--- Quote from: ORCoaster on December 10, 2023, 10:58:28 pm ---If the fuel filter age is unknown replace it.  All new trucks need to have their timing and idle set.  it is probably the extra load of the clutch dropping the idle speed.  it doesn't take much.

--- End quote ---

I'm not very familiar with diesel engine tune ups.  There is a new fuel filter, a new air filter and fresh diesel.  Do the injectors need to be cleaned / replaced.

I'll also lookup a youtube episode on timing and idle set.

Thanks.

paradisenwfl:

--- Quote from: fatmobile on December 11, 2023, 12:31:58 am ---Got clear fuel lines?

--- End quote ---

I believe so ... although the fuel line attachment in the photo below does not look like it's from the factory!  Any idea where the end of that fuel line should go?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version