Engine Specific Info and Questions > IDI Engine

Aaz head salvageable?

(1/3) > >>

oblique:
Just thought id get a second opinion. Precups are perfect, cracks minimal but looks like it had a bad head gasket leak for a while...some of the valleys look quite deep..

Also general question: if precups are supposed to protrude past head a few thou how does any head get milled ever?

RabbitJockey:
looks salvageable to me. i'd just make sure who ever resurfaces it is familiar with doing aluminum idi heads.

RustyCaddy:
The precups can be machined flat when the head is resurfaced but you need to trust that the machinist knows what they are doing.  We are fortunate to have a local shop that takes it into the zone of art and has done possibly hundreds of VW diesel heads; a couple of weeks ago had 4 new precups actually planed down as they were about 10 times above spec when completely seated. Resurfacing runs around $60 USD in these parts so if that is similar for you maybe your local shop could give it a try just to see how the pitting turns out? Shame to scrap a salvageable AAZ head. My $0.02:)

fatmobile:
 I've heard the prechambers are supposed to be removed first.

I've had several heads surfaced that didn't have them removed and still worked fine.

If the cam rocks in the saddles and you have it surfaced,
the cam will rock when it's bolted down

oblique:
My machinist is good but has not done a lot of IDI work. I am pretty much all of his 1.6/AAZ work.

What's the correct procedure to assess then possibly work on it? How would an equipped machine shop remove precups?

1. Check flat
2. Remove cups
3. 1st pass plane
4. Assess?

I also have a 1.6Td head with no cracks between valves but absolutely shot precups...not sure how that happened but would love to replace just the cups on it

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version