Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: Sharing my 1.6td project  (Read 5148 times)

Reply #30February 08, 2024, 09:01:48 am

as4k

Re: Sharing my 1.6td project
« Reply #30 on: February 08, 2024, 09:01:48 am »
7zap has been pretty good in terms of part numbers. 

https://audi.7zap.com/en/usa/audi+4000/a40/1982-3/1/105-4000/

There is a specific bolt and washer for the CY engine listed and I have no clue if thats whats in the car now.  I doubt it.  There are a few specific pulley pieces based upon the engine code and if it has power steering (mine does).  Oddly enough there is a different water pump pulley listed (on a different diagram), which I believe I do have.

This thing is wild.  I'm thankful to have a vw diesel guy here that helps with that sort of stuff, but since this is such an odd car its been fun.
1986 4kq
1981 4ktd
2012 Jetta TDI

Reply #31February 08, 2024, 01:21:04 pm

RabbitJockey

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    America, DUCK YEAH!!!
« Reply #31 on: February 08, 2024, 01:21:04 pm »
i do pretty much the same thing as fatmobile except i let it on the ground, and just push the car back or pull it forward to set the crank position.

on the tach, if you can find a the same cluster you have but with a tachometer for a gas engine then you can run a dakota digital converter.
01 Jetta TDI 100% stock daily
81 Rabbit:TDI-M ported head, Frank06 cam, PD intake, hybrid T3 turbo, Renault intercooler, Syl20 11mm pump, light weight fw, and yellow California Clutch clutch kit

Reply #32February 08, 2024, 04:16:49 pm

as4k

« Reply #32 on: February 08, 2024, 04:16:49 pm »
I think with the engine being longitudinal helps me a bit.  Whenever I mess with timing on the 5cyl cars its very easy since the flywheel is easy to see while still moving the crank a bit from the front.  I always joke with my VW friends about how the older Audi engines are in the engine bay the "right" way :)
1986 4kq
1981 4ktd
2012 Jetta TDI

Reply #33February 22, 2024, 10:37:37 pm

ORCoaster

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Restoring a Caddy as time and weather allows
« Reply #33 on: February 22, 2024, 10:37:37 pm »
on the tach, if you can find the same cluster you have but with a tachometer for a gas engine then you can run a Dakota digital converter.

But Why?  and that isn't stock, so I don't like to do that.  I prefer the long way around and convert the tach to use the alt wire which makes it difficult to do.  That is just me. 

Reply #34May 05, 2024, 11:15:40 pm

as4k

« Reply #34 on: May 05, 2024, 11:15:40 pm »
Been a minute so I'll provide a small update.

We are now moved into our new house.  Both of my Audi's were actually the first things moved over, so that was nice.  The 4ktd was towed and I drove my other one.  We now have just a bit over 2 acres of land, a much larger attached garage, and room/plans to build a separate out building, so TONS of room for activities.
For the first time under my ownership and likely many years, the 4ktd sits outside, and doesnt look too shabby out there.  i hopped in the car last week after charging the battery in hopes to see if it would start and run.  A few cranks and a bit of help from the go pedal and it came to life.  I still have the odd surging idle, but it may just be the idle still needs adjusted up some.  Runs great though.
I made a few notes the last time the car ran.  Fuel leak from injector #4 where the rubber cap sits over the last port on top of the injector.  I cant tell if the actual nipple there is a bit tweaked or the cap just needs a small zip tie.  Either way I have another injector to toss in.  I need to tighten the turbo oil feed line a bit.  The clutch pedal wasnt returning all the way (but it is now), and the brake pedal is still hard.  So this means the vacuum pump may not have fixed the hard brake pedal issue.  I said screw it and ordered a new master and brake booster.  I hope to get this stuff replaced yet this month.  The only other oddity was that after letting the car run until the main cooling fan came on, I shut it down, then immediately tried to restart.  I got a very slow crank and no start.  I suspect the battery, which isnt 2 years old (but had a 2020 date on it) is toast.  I've done enough charging and jumping with it :)

I do owe you guys some updated photos and a video of it starting/running.  I also did acquire the correct crank bolt, so I'll take time to replace that.  I was really hoping to take this thing to Carlisle (which is this week) but moving sidelined ALL car related activities. 
1986 4kq
1981 4ktd
2012 Jetta TDI

S-PAutomotive.com